Staying away from the anchor chain?

eventfarm

I've only been on one cruise and am looking to book my next one but a fear of a repeat of my first sleeping experience has truely hindered my selection.

The last cruise (Carnival Ecstasy, when it was in LA) I did the interior guarantee and thought I was super lucky to get a double porthole room instead. That was, until the first morning when we arrived at the location and the anchor went down. Holy Cow, it WAS NOT fun to be woken up at 6am by that noise. I had gone on vacation to get some sleep and I wasn't able to get any. (once I'm up, I'm up.)

So, now I won't ever do a guarantee again - but I want to stay very far away from that anchor chain when I'm selecting a room.

Is there anything like seatguru for cruises?

Just look at the deck plans in your cruise brochure. Don't have a brochure? Call Carnival (or whatever cruiseline you're using) and ask for one! They will send it free. It's got all the info you need, plus the deck plans. I can't even imagine booking a cabin without that in front of me!

I've looked at the deck plans, but they don't show the anchor chain. I'm too much of a cruise noob to know where in the world they might be. I'm assuming that they'll be between floors somewhere, but where?

the anchor is on port side near the front of the ship. We had a 5A on the starboard side and never heard it when I was on Ecstasy ... we booked the 5A on purpose and quiet cabin.

Im betting you were further forward and port side?

Anchor noise varies by ship. One thing you can do is once you've decided on a ship or cruiseline, is ask on that particularly cruiseline's board to see if anyone has any suggestions about the cabin you are considering. For example, the same issue you had an Ecstasy is found on RCCL's Sovereign class on lower deck, forward cabins. But the anchor is not an issue at all that I've heard from RCCL's Radiance class, Voyager class, or Freedom class.

I've only been on one cruise and am looking to book my next one but a fear of a repeat of my first sleeping experience has truely hindered my selection.

The last cruise (Carnival Ecstasy, when it was in LA) I did the interior guarantee and thought I was super lucky to get a double porthole room instead. That was, until the first morning when we arrived at the location and the anchor went down. Holy Cow, it WAS NOT fun to be woken up at 6am by that noise. I had gone on vacation to get some sleep and I wasn't able to get any. (once I'm up, I'm up.)

So, now I won't ever do a guarantee again - but I want to stay very far away from that anchor chain when I'm selecting a room.

Is there anything like seatguru for cruises?

Sorry you hated the noise. Our past two cruises we have had forward facing rooms on Celebrity galaxy and when we pull into port you can hear all sorts of things and feel all the vibrations. For us it's part of the experience that we love. Hope your next cabin is more to your liking.

We loved these rooms so much we are booked again in the same cabin. Anchor, chains, thrusters, etc here we come!

Archived