LA Romana Dominican Republic

fedexpackage

HAs anyone else been to this port? THere is one tour that takes you to a five star hotel and beach. They also say that there are guards around the property to keep the wrong people out of the area. I am just not sure I want to be exposed to an area that isn't truly safe. Thanks, Linda:)

• 2 weeks later...

We were in La Romana last March. While I wouldn't say it was our favorite port, we did have a good time there. From what some of our fellow cruisers told us the town is not worth seeing. The resort you are referring to is probably one of the private beaches. I have read many threads that state that these are fine. The DR is very economically distressed compared with some of the other caribbean ports. I think that this is part of what some people are referring to when they think that the port is not "good". The people that we met were very welcoming and we did not feel unsafe at all, but we didn't wander around on our own either. We took a van (which was waiting right at the pier) for about $7 round trip to Altos de Chevon and just wandered around for the day. The threads on the DR are not very active, so getting information is difficult on this port.

Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...
HAs anyone else been to this port? THere is one tour that takes you to a five star hotel and beach. They also say that there are guards around the property to keep the wrong people out of the area. I am just not sure I want to be exposed to an area that isn't truly safe. Thanks, Linda:)

Have been there on a cruise several times, and recently spent a week at an all-inclusive on the island (although I would not do that again!).

If you are on a 5 star resort you will be fine. Tourism is extremely important to this very poor country and they maintain their resorts and resort beaches in meticulous condition. You will be completely safe while you are at the resort.

Archived