Birth Certificates -- What Does Yours Look Like?

StarryBugg

You can actually get either one here in SC. I went and got my youngest daughters the other day and chose to get the long form. Yes the wallet size is official too. The long form just has more info on it. I opted for that one- It was $12.00

Now Dh is from FL and his is the wallet size too. No problem. My middle daughter has the strangest looking BC. It's just a sheet with some itemized info on it. Official of course. She has cruised before with it but it looks NOTHING like a BC. I was nervous about that but all was fine.

Aw, c'mon! If no one else is going to say it....

mine is on a scroll of papyrus, with really faded writing...

sheez, all the other smart-alecks here, y'all dropped the ball!

Okay, seriously, Calif gives us a full-sheet with an embossed seal on it. I never got an "official" one as a kid, only the hospital one with footprints and a gold seal that is only good for sentiment.

And yes, when you renew your passport mbardsley, you get the old one back. I was fully prepared to declare my old one lost as it had all the cool stamps in it. You don't get many stamps now!

ROFLLL,,,OK OK OK,,,,mine is chisled in stone :) Holly

Aw, c'mon! If no one else is going to say it....

mine is on a scroll of papyrus, with really faded writing...

sheez, all the other smart-alecks here, y'all dropped the ball!

Mine is a clay tablet, the writing is cuneiform. The edges have an olive branch design, made with real olive branches. Don't get a match close to them!!:eek:

Dan

I wasn't born in SC but I now live here. The wallet size birth certificate is legal and certified. In my line of work I have to make sure that people are who they say they are and are the correct age and these are allowed. I first saw one several years ago. My mother was born here. I've always wanted one but they don't issue them in NY. As far as the website saying it's not suitable for travel- I think SC is letting you know that there is a possibility you won't be able to use it but no one that I know has ever been denied travel or obtaining a passport because of it.

My birth certificate is form FS-240, issued by the Department of State, as I was born abroad. It is a pain in the behind to get one issued, which is why my passport is always kept up-to-date.

Our 21 yos was born abroad. We will be getting his passport in the next couple of months. Did you use both docs to get yours? Birth Abroad Sheet and Birth of Record Sheet.

Thank you to my fellow smarty-pants! I knew you were out there (figuratively and literally!)

A couple of you mentioned being only 43...me too. Hmmm, what was it about the mid-60's that produced such a bunch of wiseacres???

~Jen

Thank you to my fellow smarty-pants! I knew you were out there (figuratively and literally!)

A couple of you mentioned being only 43...me too. Hmmm, what was it about the mid-60's that produced such a bunch of wiseacres???

~Jen

Drugs, flower power and free love???????????? Holly

• 1 month later...
The last copy I got from NYS was a computerized print out with the raised seal embossed... less than letter size..

No different than 20 years ago, when I needed a certified BC for a passport. (I just found mine issued then the other day....) The only difference then is the background of the paper was green; now its blue.

Also, if you were born in Jersey City, NJ for example and have not gotten a new copy of your birth certificate in the last couple years, be aware that your birth certificate is no longer valid. Due to fraud at the health department there, all birth certificates issued in Jersey City before a certain date are no longer valid - you have to get yours reissued by the State of New Jersey.

Which is why not all my inlaws have passports. My MIL was born in Jersey City and was told she had to go to Trenton - dunno whether it was in person or request it from Trenton - to get a certified copy of her BC. As this was for a cruise in January 2007, she traveled without it and instead used a BC and a driver's license. We told her that in the future, she'll have to get a newly-certified BC so she can cruise with us....

Mine's not quite chiseled in stone, but it is handwritten, original, issued by the state (not hospital) The raised seal is barely "raised" anymore due to length of time being squished in a file.

It looks fake to me, but it's not. I used it on several cruises before I got a passport last year.

~Jen

Initals,

AK's, VC, RPG's MG's, LZ's, FNG's

Lotsa laughs!

Dan

Mine's not quite chiseled in stone, but it is handwritten, original, issued by the state (not hospital) The raised seal is barely "raised" anymore due to length of time being squished in a file.

It looks fake to me, but it's not. I used it on several cruises before I got a passport last year.

scroll.jpg

hehehehehehe :p

Archived