Birth Certificates -- What Does Yours Look Like?

StarryBugg

Make sure it says 'birth certificate' (I know, obvious...) but years ago, working at the airport people would try to use one that said 'birth registration' in nice calligraphy, with the dr's signature, some form the hospital issued, not the same as a birth certificate from the local county registry.

My birth certificate is form FS-240, issued by the Department of State, as I was born abroad. It is a pain in the behind to get one issued, which is why my passport is always kept up-to-date.

I have one of those, too. Fact is, I have 5 birth certificates. The FS-240 and a military document are both in English, of course, but two of the other 3 are written in German - one from the hospital and one with the Berburgermeister's signature.

The 5th one is signed and sealed from the Governor of the State of Texas and is dated 10 months after my birth, 2 months after we got home and a month after my mom sent Gov Price Daniel a letter asking to make her German born child a native Texan like the presceding 4 generations in the family. ;)

Our 21 yos was born abroad. We will be getting his passport in the next couple of months. Did you use both docs to get yours? Birth Abroad Sheet and Birth of Record Sheet.

We used all 5 of them to proof who I was when DH retired a couple of years ago and again when I got a passport as an adult (my original passport was an extension of my mom's and not really mine). I was panicked when told they all had to go with the passport application but they returned home safe and sound 12 days later.

• 2 weeks later...

When my kids were born I ordered one regular birth certificate and one of those wallet ones for each kid. The wallet ones are just as offical as the regular ones here. I'm in Alaska and my kids are 4 and 2, so it was four years ago and two years ago that I ordered them.

Archived