Birth Certificates -- What Does Yours Look Like?

StarryBugg

In South Carolina, certified copies of birth certificates are wallet size. I'm not sure what exactly makes them "certified," as they do not have the old-school embossed stamp.

Does your state have these yet?

I would double check on that,,,,when I was a travel agent (which was some time ago, granted, and things change, of course), we told people NOT to use those,,,they need the LONG form that's appropriate for getting a passport,,,,even if they were not getting a passport,,,,,

Holly

These *are* the certified birth certificates. DH has used it and we have double-checked multiple times. Even says so on the states vital records site.

ah,,,ok,,,like I said, things change,,,and FAST too:p It used to be a no-no to travel on the "short form",,,

so to answer your question,,,,nope, never seen one,,,just ordered mine and it is the standard long form, although the "raised" seal has to be FELT to know it's raised :)

Holly

These *are* the certified birth certificates. DH has used it and we have double-checked multiple times. Even says so on the state's vital records site.
Well, according to this page on the South Carolina website it says the short form (card) is not suitable for travel, only the long form, so check again.

http://www.scdhec.net/administration/vr/birth.htm

What types of birth certifications are issued?

1. A computer-generated long form (needed for travel) The computer-generated long form contains the:
    • state file number,
    • name of registrant,
    • date of birth,
    • county of birth,
    • father's name (if listed on the original birth certificate),
    • mother's maiden name,
    • date record filed, and
    • the date issued.

The computer-generated long form can be issued only by the state office location – DHEC, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, South Carolina 29201. The 46 county branch offices cannot issue the computer-generated long form.

[*]A short form certification or birth card (cannot be used for travel) The birth card is a wallet-size certification that contains the:

• state file number,
  • name of the person whose certificate is being issued,
  • date of birth,
  • sex,
  • county of birth, and
  • the date the birth was filed.

The short form certification or birth card can be issued for any South Carolina birth, regardless of the county of birth, by the state office and the 46 county branch offices.

DHEC no longer issues the "raised seal" certificates. It has not been used by the South Carolina Division of Vital Records since March 1999. DHEC uses a transcript validator to impress fluorescent ink that can be checked for authenticity under a black light.

Certified copies of the actual birth certificate that was filed by the attendant at birth will only be issued when a computer-generated form is not available

Mine is from LA, and the one I got a few years ago is on 'watermark' paper w/no raised seal. The old ones were like a b/w xerox copy, but WITH a raised seal.

My son's is from MS, and has also changed - to watermark paper w/no raised seal.

It varies by state.:) The only thing they all have in common for travel is they must be "state certified".

I have one with a raised seal on a black and white piece of paper from Michigan. At one point I thought I lost it, so I ordered a new one, and it looks very different. My DH, also born in Michigan, has one that looks different than both of mine. Never had a problem using any of them for passports or cruising.

ah,,,ok,,,like I said, things change,,,and FAST too:p It used to be a no-no to travel on the "short form",,,

so to answer your question,,,,nope, never seen one,,,just ordered mine and it is the standard long form, although the "raised" seal has to be FELT to know it's raised :)

Holly

They're not "short forms". My DS (22) was born in MD and his bc is a wallet sized card and it is his full birth certificate that we received when he was a couple of weeks old. He has used it to get a passport, driver's license, jobs. It has no raised seal, but the border, state/county info, etc is all raised/textured.

I have my original from Texas, from 1960. It's typed on blue paper, with a raised seal and signed in ink by the city clerk. I take very good care of my important papers and it's in great shape.

In South Carolina, certified copies of birth certificates are wallet size. I'm not sure what exactly makes them "certified," as they do not have the old-school embossed stamp.

StarryBugg, I am also from SC. My BC is the wallet sized AND has the embossed seal on it. So is my daughters. The ones they give at the hospital are not the "official" ones. It may have changed, but I am not aware of it.

StarryBugg, I am also from SC. My BC is the wallet sized AND has the embossed seal on it. So is my daughters. The ones they give at the hospital are not the "official" ones. It may have changed, but I am not aware of it.

Sorry, forgot to add, that is what I used to get my passport in '05 and it was accepted.

Well, according to this page on the South Carolina website it says the short form (card) is not suitable for travel, only the long form, so check again.

http://www.scdhec.net/administration/vr/birth.htm

What types of birth certifications are issued?

1. A computer-generated long form (needed for travel) The computer-generated long form contains the:
    • state file number,
    • name of registrant,
    • date of birth,
    • county of birth,
    • father's name (if listed on the original birth certificate),
    • mother's maiden name,
    • date record filed, and
    • the date issued.

The computer-generated long form can be issued only by the state office location – DHEC, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, South Carolina 29201. The 46 county branch offices cannot issue the computer-generated long form.

[*]A short form certification or birth card (cannot be used for travel) The birth card is a wallet-size certification that contains the:

• state file number,
  • name of the person whose certificate is being issued,
  • date of birth,
  • sex,
  • county of birth, and
  • the date the birth was filed.

The short form certification or birth card can be issued for any South Carolina birth, regardless of the county of birth, by the state office and the 46 county branch offices.

DHEC no longer issues the "raised seal" certificates. It has not been used by the South Carolina Division of Vital Records since March 1999. DHEC uses a transcript validator to impress fluorescent ink that can be checked for authenticity under a black light.

Certified copies of the actual birth certificate that was filed by the attendant at birth will only be issued when a computer-generated form is not available

This is what I always quoted my clients,,,but it's been 7 years since I was a travel agent, and things change,,,I'd be worried though,,,cuz I'm a worry wort:D

I once had a client who was refused boarding to an airplane to Bermuda, for lack of this "raised" seal,,,

He was crushed, and went to the bar to have a drink trying to think what to do,,,,

The bar tender listened to his story, took a bottle of beer with that "ridgy" bottom and smashed his BC with it,,,creating a "raised seal",,,

they let him on the plane,,,

and it's stories like this that make me think we NEED passports,,,this wondering and trying to decide what's good for travel and what's not is ridiculous,,,sometimes you can't even get the same answer from 5 different people,,,sheesh,,,,Holly

I was born in 62, but carry a wallet size laminated. Really got to break down and get my passport back up to date, but have one that has entry stamps from all over europe when I was a kid.

When you renew your passport, the Department of State, returns your expired passport.

He got his at the Vital Records Department... We used it just last year. I think the ink in the corner stamp might be raised.... Hard to tell since it's smooshed up in his wallet all the time. Don't know why it would be good less than a year ago and not now?!? Anyway...he's making the drive to Columbia tomorrow--just in case. Want to be prepared for anything.

Both mine and my husband's are a small wallet sized card (70's children). My 12 year old's and my 5 year old's are a full sheet of paper, but my 6 year old's is a wallet sized one similar to ours. Must be whatever box the person at the Vital Stats office wants to check off or something. ;)

They're all legit and legal....used them for passport applications with no problem.

Each state is different. As long as what you have was issued by the state in which you were born....you'll be fine.

Every state has different birth certificates, some have multiple types.

Some states only issue the wallet size birth certificates and they are usable for all purposes.

Other states issue both a long form and a short form - and in some states both are usable, and in others only the long form is usable.

The difference is in what information is on the form. If it has everything CBP is looking for, then it's acceptable. The question though is what is acceptable. When in doubt, it's best to not assume and go to the source. The South Carolina Vital Records Service states that only the long form is valid for travel.

Oh and just because something used to work doesn't mean it will anymore. For example, many people used to get by with hospital (not official) birth certificates. Also, in the case of the short forms, some states have limited info on their short forms that don't meet increased ID requirements. Also, if you were born in Jersey City, NJ for example and have not gotten a new copy of your birth certificate in the last couple years, be aware that your birth certificate is no longer valid. Due to fraud at the health department there, all birth certificates issued in Jersey City before a certain date are no longer valid - you have to get yours reissued by the State of New Jersey.

I always use my passport. My original birth certificate, which I still use and present for a new passport every five years, is actually an official copy of the church record of my christening. It is a handwritten document, lists parents, witnesses, occupations etc., and was written and signed by the minister. The copy came from the government records office on legal size paper, folded in three parts, complete with an embossed stamp certifying authenticity, date of issue, and has a number of 'tax' stamps on it. This is why I prefer to use the passport!

Aw, c'mon! If no one else is going to say it....

mine is on a scroll of papyrus, with really faded writing...

sheez, all the other smart-alecks here, y'all dropped the ball!

Okay, seriously, Calif gives us a full-sheet with an embossed seal on it. I never got an "official" one as a kid, only the hospital one with footprints and a gold seal that is only good for sentiment.

And yes, when you renew your passport mbardsley, you get the old one back. I was fully prepared to declare my old one lost as it had all the cool stamps in it. You don't get many stamps now!

We've used ours with no problem on all of our cruises.

Archived