Coconut Grove Convenient to POM?

nusail

We are cruising out of Miami on February 21st, 2009 and are considering a pre-cruise stay at the Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove. The hotel sounds lovely and the info on Expedia.ca says it's 7 miles/15 minutes from the airport and 5 miles from the POM. That sounds perfect but I'm wondering why I've never heard anyone on these boards mention Coconut Grove area hotels for pre- or post-cruise stays? Would it take a long time by taxi to get to the port on a Saturday morning? Am I missing something here?

I'd appreciate any info you can provide.

We are cruising out of Miami on February 21st, 2009 and are considering a pre-cruise stay at the Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove. The hotel sounds lovely and the info on Expedia.ca says it's 7 miles/15 minutes from the airport and 5 miles from the POM. That sounds perfect but I'm wondering why I've never heard anyone on these boards mention Coconut Grove area hotels for pre- or post-cruise stays? Would it take a long time by taxi to get to the port on a Saturday morning? Am I missing something here?

I'd appreciate any info you can provide.

You'll hear a couple of us constantly try and get people to stay outside of the downtown area.

Most people on these boards don't care to find out that Miami is a town that is far superior to most cruise ports. It is the banking capitol of South American and embraces many cultures.

Most people fly in, head to a downtown hotel because they don't want to stray far from the cruise ships, party at Bayside, and that is their idea of Miami.

I know I've posted until I'm blue in the face about staying in Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Miami Beach, Key Biscayne, etc.

Miami is one of the most diverse cities in the US. The dining scene in Miami is far superior to most cities. The shopping and attractions are some of the best in the US.

The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove is a lovely hotel. If you get a chance, head to Nikki Beach Coconut Grove for a cocktail at night.

We stayed in Coconut Grove one night pre-cruise at what was then the Wyndham and it was awesome! Took us a 20 min. cab ride ($25) on a Monday morning to get to the port. Its a nice location, felt safe walking around at night (walked down to the mall area - it was terrific!). We got the rooms through Priceline and were really happy with the price for the room and location.

I wish I knew what flag the hotel is flying now, I just remember within a few weeks it was no longer a Wyndham property. It is right across from a marina and a great grocery store with wine and beer, The Fresh Market. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

There are pics in my album - click here to see them.

Archived