Rumors - Is It TRUE???

VABeach

I heard a rumor that Carnival did away with Formal Nights?

I'm cruising for Christmas and had planned to dress up, but the boyfriend could care less about suits and ties.

What's going on? Has anyone else heard this?

Thanks so much,

~Jenny

I'm cruising for Christmas and had planned to dress up, but the boyfriend could care less about suits and ties.

Thanks so much,

~Jenny

They're now refering to it as "cruise elegant" night. Similar concept but slightly less "formal"

Thanks so much,

~Jenny

Formal nights are now "elegant nights"

What it means is that basically people are still going to wear whatever their version of "formal" is as they've been doing until now, except that Carnival will not "frown" on people that don't meet the "former" guidelines for formal night...

Jeans and T-Shirts are still off the list though, right??? It will be Christmas after all.... :confused:

Did they make a formal anouncement?

Thanks for the info. I already bought a new Little Black Dress for the trip. Still plan on wearing it.

~Jenny :cool:

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

Wear what you feel comfortable wearing.. considering others on the sailing! I always 'dress' as my Mother taught me...:p

When I go to a dining room, with waiters and a full set of dinnerware and a white table cloth, I feel that deserves a bit of 'dress up' on my part!:)

Now, if I could get away with wearing a 'little black dress', I'd give it a shot, but the DW would probably frown on it...:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Jenny,

We must be neighbors if you live in VA Beach--I live 2 hours north of you on the Eastern Shore! :)

On our first cruise last month, there were people that were dressed nicely and then there were LOTS of people who dressed UP for "elegant night". Lots of guys in tux's (my hubby wore a suit, no tux) and the girls dressed up so nice. It was fun to sit on the Promenade and watch people get their pictures taken.

Jeans on formal night would definitely be a no-no, but your guy could get by with dress slacks and shirt. You might want to check out the dress code (or search on "elegant night" and see what you get there).

HTH,

Jeans and T-Shirts are still off the list though, right??? It will be Christmas after all.... :confused:

Did they make a formal anouncement?

Thanks for the info. I already bought a new Little Black Dress for the trip. Still plan on wearing it.

~Jenny :cool:

Jenny, let me quote from the 'Elegant Night' Capers:

Not permitted in the dining rooms for ladies and gentleman; shorts, t-shirts, flip flops, bathing suits, jeans, cut off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear and baseball caps.

When I was recently on the Conquest the Maitre d' was turning away people who weren't properly dressed. Most folks were quite nicely dressed...

Dress up and enjoy your evening!!!

Mach

Jenny, let me quote from the 'Elegant Night' Capers:

Not permitted in the dining rooms for ladies and gentleman; shorts, t-shirts, flip flops, bathing suits, jeans, cut off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear and baseball caps.

When I was recently on the Conquest the Maitre d' was turning away people who weren't properly dressed. Most folks were quite nicely dressed...

Dress up and enjoy your evening!!!

Mach

We were on Conquest a couple of weeks after you and was surprised to see 4 young adults come in with ratty t-shirts on formal night. It didn't bother us but was a bit surprised the Maitre d' did not say anything to them. On the very last night they wore nice button up shirts although they were wrinkled. DH and I just giggled.:)

We were on Conquest a couple of weeks after you and was surprised to see 4 young adults come in with ratty t-shirts on formal night. It didn't bother us but was a bit surprised the Maitre d' did not say anything to them. On the very last night they wore nice button up shirts although they were wrinkled. DH and I just giggled.:)

Michele, were you in the Monet or Renoir restaurant?

Joseph Anthony was pretty strict about folks meeting the published standard for elegant nights. He mentioned it every evening during his little talk...

Michele, were you in the Monet or Renoir restaurant?

Joseph Anthony was pretty strict about folks meeting the published standard for elegant nights. He mentioned it every evening during his little talk...

Joseph Anthony got a nice little letter from me in his tip envelope on the last night. I had the table just behind the Captains table at the entry and I didn't think he enforced the dress code at all-IMHO. He was also ducking over to Albert's a lot more than I thought was necessary. (dislaimer-unless I have the two confused, and I may)

Slavica was fantasic, but working other dining room. Saw her every morning though.

Host Mach,

I just wanted to thank you for answering my questions about the Conquest the other day on a different thread. I would have thanked you on that thread but somehow I've lost track of it and can't find it anymore. :o

Anyway thanks for your response.

My pleasure... thanks for mentioning it...

:)

Joseph Anthony got a nice little letter from me in his tip envelope on the last night. I had the table just behind the Captains table at the entry and I didn't think he enforced the dress code at all-IMHO. He was also ducking over to Albert's a lot more than I thought was necessary. (dislaimer-unless I have the two confused)

Slavica was fantasic, but working other dining room. Saw her every morning though.

Humm.. odd... On my cruise he was very attentive and I personally saw him turn away three fellas who weren't properly dressed for the first elegant evening much to the embarrassment of the girls they were with.

Gotta agree, Slavica was wonderful.

I was on the Elation earlier this month and forgot it is no longer called Formal night. The reason I forgot is because everyone was all dressed up and getting their formal portraits done. Business as usual.

I can see where on overseas cruises, my DH not having to stuff a suit into a suitcase can be beneficial, but domestically, he's going to be wearing the monkey suit!

Thanks so much,

~Jenny

Dress code can be found on their website....here it is:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Thanks so much,

~Jenny

Dress up for the holidays since you're sailing for Christmas...its a special occasion! :) Many of us on the NYE cruise plan to dress up for the party on NYE even thought the guidelines no longer call it formal.

Thanks so much,

~Jenny

Feel free to dress as nice as you desire, I can't imagine the situation on a cruise where a woman in a nice slinky cocktail dress and heels would be out of place in the dining room! :-) (I am being serious by the way)

If by chance your BF does not appreciate it, I am sure other men in the dining room will!

Even on casual nights most people do step it up in the clothing department a notch Even on Carnival’s 3,4,5 night party cruises, most folks do dress up somewhat and on the “Formal Night” or whatever its called now, do not be surprised if you see some men in Tuxes. Most find it is a chance to play dress up and do take part in it. I know I do, but that said, I as will my GF will wear nice jeans into the dining room on casual nights. (Much to the dismay of some here on CC.. !)

When on Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Cunard, on “Formal Nights” the men in a Tux (Even an ill fitting rental) is the by far the rule not the exception.

two comments/questions...when there used to be a "formal night," what was the dress code then? I can't imagine how it would differ from the "elegant" dress code, other than if women were required to wear formals and men tuxes; was that the case?

also, in the few posts here where it was mentioned that passengers were turned away for improper attire on elegant night, the passengers turned away were male...do you think it is more likely that men get turned away than women? it would seem that men would not really get embarrassed if they were turned away, while a woman would probably be horrified...maybe it is a PR thing that women aren't turned away as often

With the exception of perhaps the first night onboard, myself and LilC take the opportunity to 'dress up' every night. I love the occassion. We may change after dinner here and there if we are uncomfortable (read, full!) but in general it feels good to be smart. I work mostly from home and live my life in shorts and t-shirts normally so the cruise is a great time to get with it on the clothing front.

I didn't answer your question (but other have). I just wanted to chime in with my opinions.

One slightly amusing anecdote, more than once we were asked as we walked around at night that we must be on our way to the Supper Club because we were dressed-up. We did eat there a lot but that kind of tells you what people's expectations are.

Regards

Wear what you feel comfortable wearing.. considering others on the sailing! I always 'dress' as my Mother taught me...:p

When I go to a dining room, with waiters and a full set of dinnerware and a white table cloth, I feel that deserves a bit of 'dress up' on my part!:)

Now, if I could get away with wearing a 'little black dress', I'd give it a shot, but the DW would probably frown on it...:eek: :rolleyes: :D

With the exception of perhaps the first night onboard, myself and LilC take the opportunity to 'dress up' every night. I love the occassion. We may change after dinner here and there if we are uncomfortable (read, full!) but in general it feels good to be smart. I work mostly from home and live my life in shorts and t-shirts normally so the cruise is a great time to get with it on the clothing front.

I didn't answer your question (but other have). I just wanted to chime in with my opinions.

One slightly amusing anecdote, more than once we were asked as we walked around at night that we must be on our way to the Supper Club because we were dressed-up. We did eat there a lot but that kind of tells you what people's expectations are.

Regards

I agree,,,,I won't go all out and wear cocktail dresses to dinner (except for elegant night), but I certainly cant imagine wearing jeans to the restaurant either, not because I think anyone is wrong to do it (no judgements here),,,but simply because I ENJOY putting on a nice skirt and blouse, stockings and high heels,,,,although I bet my husband could and WOULD:rolleyes: He, however, has the misfortune to be married to me, and I force him into AT LEAST a pair of nicely pressed khaki's and a collared shirt,,,poor man,,, Holly

I just re-read Carnival's "dress code" guidelines on this thread. Baseball caps are NOT permitted on Elegant night, but it's okay to wear them in the dining room on other nights. So, I guess the guys at the tables next to us last week in the beautiful Inspiration dining room on the ELation were dressed according to these guidelines with their Kwik-E mart workshirts, white t-shirts, jeans, and backward baseball caps. Now, I get it.

We dress formally. My husband has a tux, my teenage daughter a long gown, and I'm wearing formal, too. It's our choice. We cruise once a year, and enjoy the opportunity for family photos in formal attire. One year, I bought the large canvas photo, which looks like a painting. It's hanging in the foyer of our home.

Archived