Rumors - Is It TRUE???

VABeach

Elegant dining, atmosphere, wonderful meals served by an outstanding staff dressed very properly. The LEAST we as patrons can do is to attempt to dress in fashionable attire to capture the ambiance of the evening.

With that thought in mind, try this experiment to leave NO doubt as to whether you meet the standards of dress in the dining room.

Put on the clothes you intend to wear for an evening meal aboard the ship. Drive over to the nearest 'AWFUL HOUSE' restaurant. Those of you not familiar with the name, well it is actually spelled WAFFLE HOUSE.

If you enter the AWFUL HOUSE and no one turns around to actually stare while looking you up and down,.... then you are UNDER-DRESSED.

On the other hand, once entering you notice patrons begin asking you to please accept their condolences, then you are pretty close to being PROPERLY DRESSED for evening dining.

This STANDARD of DRESS CODE is a universal measurement used widely throughout 'redneck' country.

HUMANS.. any other species would have been put to sleep by now.

what bothers me with formal/elegant or what ever you want to call it, is that it makes me go out and buy clothes for my kids that they are basically going to wear only twice ... EVER! We are very casual and basically live in jeans. I hate dressing up, panty hose and the whole thing, but at least I'm not still growing. Even for church we go to contemporary services and go in jeans. I wish you could get the good food, i.e. lobster, without the hassle of being someone you just aren't. I would never wear worn out or ratty clothes but just because you don't like dressing up and prefer comfort does not make you a bad person to be looked down on and discriminated against...after all it is my vacation too that I have worked hard for and saved a long time for.

Elegant dining, atmosphere, wonderful meals served by an outstanding staff dressed very properly. The LEAST we as patrons can do is to attempt to dress in fashionable attire to capture the ambiance of the evening.

With that thought in mind, try this experiment to leave NO doubt as to whether you meet the standards of dress in the dining room.

Put on the clothes you intend to wear for an evening meal aboard the ship. Drive over to the nearest 'AWFUL HOUSE' restaurant. Those of you not familiar with the name, well it is actually spelled WAFFLE HOUSE.

If you enter the AWFUL HOUSE and no one turns around to actually stare while looking you up and down,.... then you are UNDER-DRESSED.

On the other hand, once entering you notice patrons begin asking you to please accept their condolences, then you are pretty close to being PROPERLY DRESSED for evening dining.

This STANDARD of DRESS CODE is a universal measurement used widely throughout 'redneck' country.

HUMANS.. any other species would have been put to sleep by now.

LOL,,,the big joke in our family when we're looking for a restaurant is THERE'S AWFUL HOUSE!!! My husband HATES Waffle house, and once we were forced to eat there for 4 days on vacation (long story, lol),,,he glares at the sayer every time :)

what bothers me with formal/elegant or what ever you want to call it, is that it makes me go out and buy clothes for my kids that they are basically going to wear only twice ... EVER! We are very casual and basically live in jeans. I hate dressing up, panty hose and the whole thing, but at least I'm not still growing. Even for church we go to contemporary services and go in jeans. I wish you could get the good food, i.e. lobster, without the hassle of being someone you just aren't. I would never wear worn out or ratty clothes but just because you don't like dressing up and prefer comfort does not make you a bad person to be looked down on and discriminated against...after all it is my vacation too that I have worked hard for and saved a long time for.

You've got a couple choices,,,

You can buy your children clothing for the elegant dinner at a used clothing store,,,there are some wonderful ones,,,I bought my granddaughter a 100.00 dress with the tags still on for 15.00 at one once,,,

Or you can skip the Elegant dinner all together and order lobster, etc through room service,,,

Perhaps someone can confirm, but they have always in the past served whatever was on the menu in the dining room through room service IN ADDITION to the room service menu,,,

Holly

two comments/questions...when there used to be a "formal night," what was the dress code then? I can't imagine how it would differ from the "elegant" dress code, other than if women were required to wear formals and men tuxes; was that the case?

also, in the few posts here where it was mentioned that passengers were turned away for improper attire on elegant night, the passengers turned away were male...do you think it is more likely that men get turned away than women? it would seem that men would not really get embarrassed if they were turned away, while a woman would probably be horrified...maybe it is a PR thing that women aren't turned away as often

men were required to wear a jacket of some sort, most wore suits.....and yes, i saw more men turned away for no coat, wonder now if you have to wear a tie?

Ok- most people stretched the rules when they were labled formal, now they likely will push it even less "formal".

I personally wonder with airlines being so suitcase poundeage or weight orientated and charging for bags if people more likely to pack lighter, and leave a heavy suitcoat at home.

LOL,,,the big joke in our family when we're looking for a restaurant is THERE'S AWFUL HOUSE!!! My husband HATES Waffle house, and once we were forced to eat there for 4 days on vacation (long story, lol),,,he glares at the sayer every time :)

You've got a couple choices,,,

You can buy your children clothing for the elegant dinner at a used clothing store,,,there are some wonderful ones,,,I bought my granddaughter a 100.00 dress with the tags still on for 15.00 at one once,,,

Or you can skip the Elegant dinner all together and order lobster, etc through room service,,,

Perhaps someone can confirm, but they have always in the past served whatever was on the menu in the dining room through room service IN ADDITION to the room service menu,,,

Holly

Sorry...you can't get dining room items through room service. The only way to get lobster is by going to the dining room. Unless they have it at the buffet but I can't imagine they do.

Also, look at Walmart, Target, etc... for a Christmas/Easter dress or outfit. Less expensive and perfectly fine for kids for formal night. I go to a casual church but we (and like a lot of others I would guess) as a family dress up for the holidays by choice.

This whole ordeal about formal night/elegant night really has me going.

I wanted my DH to wear his tux, but now that they have changed the dress code, he only wants to bring a nice suit.. and I am fighting him on that!

We don't have the opportunity to dress up very often and I love the whole idea of being "dressed to the nines" for formal/elegant evenings.

IMHO, it takes away a piece of the "luxury" cruise image, by letting everyone dress as they will, on formal/elegant eveningsl

I'm wearing cocktail dresses on the two "elegant" nights, and the only thing I'm doing different on the other nights, is one night I'm wearing nice capris with a dressy top, and the rest, summery dresses like I always have. DH is wearing a nice shirt, tie and navy sport coat with dress pants instead of a suit and polo's and khaki's the other nights. We enjoy dressing up and since we take the Auto Train whenever we can, we can carry more luggage if we want.

Sorry...you can't get dining room items through room service. The only way to get lobster is by going to the dining room. Unless they have it at the buffet but I can't imagine they do.

Also, look at Walmart, Target, etc... for a Christmas/Easter dress or outfit. Less expensive and perfectly fine for kids for formal night. I go to a casual church but we (and like a lot of others I would guess) as a family dress up for the holidays by choice.

Hmmm perhaps I'm confusing my cruise lines,,,I know you can do it on Holland America, and I swore up and down, inside out and backwards you could order what was on the menu for dinner as room service during dinner hours,,,,

OTOH,,,,I might just be losing my mind and had better go out and find it:eek: Holly

I'm wearing cocktail dresses on the two "elegant" nights, and the only thing I'm doing different on the other nights, is one night I'm wearing nice capris with a dressy top, and the rest, summery dresses like I always have. DH is wearing a nice shirt, tie and navy sport coat with dress pants instead of a suit and polo's and khaki's the other nights. We enjoy dressing up and since we take the Auto Train whenever we can, we can carry more luggage if we want.

Oh good, so polos and khaki's are still ok for men on non-elegant nights??? My DH would wear JEANS if I let him,,,,and I would have him in a 3 piece suit if I had my way,,,,

so khaki's and a polo with a collar,,,or a button up the front collared shirt is our compromise :) Holly

Hmmm perhaps I'm confusing my cruise lines,,,I know you can do it on Holland America, and I swore up and down, inside out and backwards you could order what was on the menu for dinner as room service during dinner hours,,,,

OTOH,,,,I might just be losing my mind and had better go out and find it:eek: Holly

Nope, you cannot get dinner via room service. The room service menu doesnt change and only has limited number of items, mostly snack or light lunch-salads, sandwiches, cookies, light breakfast-pastries, coffee, drinks.

And, yes, polos and khakis' for men on regular dining nights are the norm.

Our first cruise, we were scared to eat in the dining room except for the first night because of the "dress code". We ate at the buffets or the pizza place. Then on the last night, we ran into a couple from our group that told us they didn't dress fancy the entire time! We've never skipped out on the dining room since!

DH would never go to dinner if he had to wear a suit or tie. He wears a nice Hawaiian type button front shirt and khakis. I will wear either a dress on elegant/formal night or dress slacks and a nice blouse on the other nights. We skip back to the room after dinner to get comfy again, and feel that dressing up is part of the fun!

Archived