Comparison of Costa to other lines

stanjj111

• 2 weeks later...
Costa was our third cruise. We enjoyed it very much. There was a great mix of people from different countries. We only speak English and didn't have any language problems at all. I read that smoking was a problem and that every room was smoky but we didn't notice this. The food was good and plenty. Nothing too great though. We enjoyed the food on NCL and Carnvial more. But enough choices to satisfy anyone. The shows were good and they were done in English when we sailed. There may have been a few songs in italian but that is it. Overall we had a great time. The staff was great and the ship was very nice. WE got an awesome deal too so that definately helped.

I have cruised 13 times on lines like, Carnival, HAL, RCCI, NCL, Permier, Commodore and Regal.

I sailed on the Costa Victoria March of 2003 and thought it was the best cruise I have ever been on. Mix of people was great, French, Italitans, German and American. Food was definately European. Entertainment was good but again more European. Toga Party is a must do. Very high engery staff.

Hope this helps.

Don

We have cruised Costa once in the Med. and three times in the Carib. and had a good time on each cruise. Have also cruised HAL about 15 times, Princess once, and Carnival 3 times. No the food wasn`t as good on Costa, but there was always something I could find to eat. The pastas were good, also the soups and desserts. I found the service to be good, entertainment so-so, but I don`t go in for the big shows. All in all, I wouldn`t hesitate to sail them again, especially as their Carib. prices are so good....jean :cool:

• 1 month later...
This was our first cruise on Costa. 7 cruises -- all other lines. I can't believe some people say Carnival is better. Been on them twice--decided to give them a second chance but they came up short. If you are an American who has done international travel, I would highly recommend Costa. I'm sure some people on our cruise did not like it, but just like a restaurant that you go to 5 times--each experience may be different.:) :) :)

[quote name='MAMMAM']This was our first cruise on Costa. 7 cruises -- all other lines. I can't believe some people say Carnival is better. Been on them twice--decided to give them a second chance but they came up short. If you are an American who has done international travel, I would highly recommend Costa. I'm sure some people on our cruise did not like it, but just like a restaurant that you go to 5 times--each experience may be different.:) :) :)[/QUOTE]

we are cruising costa mediterranea jan. 23.. can you give us a little more info on your xmas cruise on the med.. thanks for any info.. did you do western or eastern caribb??..

Seems to me that all the good Costa reviews are from people that cruised on the Atlantica. I cruised on the Med, I thought the food was not good, but again we always did find something to eat. The food in Club Medusa was very good. I loved the ship, service was great, smoke was no problem, English was the main language.
Stayed in a PS suite, the bathroom was bigger than mine at home.

You can't compare Costa to X, Hal, Princess. Maybe soon, but not yet. I guess we also need to remember that this is only the third season Costa is sailing out of Fla. Years back they did but them stopped.

The only thing that makes me think about Costa again is that I can take 2 Costa cruises for the same amount I payed for 1 X cruise.

I don't understand how people come back from any cruise and say the had a bad time. I'm on vacation, I'm happy.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys and gals! I have read may discouraging reports of the Costa Mediterannea and sometimes I wish I hadnt even bothered to research the cruise.
I am promising myself to stay positive and have a great vacation.
Questions!
What on the boat should i not miss?
ANy great food or drink thats not to be missed?
Any recommended places to visit in Key West, Ocho Rios or cozumel?
Any items i need to pack that i wouldnt have thought of

thanks
[email="amyschristopher@comcast.net"]amyschristopher@comcast.net[/email] (if you have any positive tips for me)

Amy,

It's been a few years but we've stopped at Ocho Rios and Cozumel.

Ocho Rios back in 2002 was a fairly rough area. When we got off the pier we were hounded by cabbies and drug dealers. However, the tours to Dunns River Falls and Horseback riding (if you like single file riding) were nice. We took a cab into town and had an interesting time. Some nice stuff but at times it was strange. There was an area where locals sold their crafts. Just out of town it was amazing to see how the locals lived in cardboard and lean-to huts made of whatever they could find.

Cozumel was a blast! we did not do any excursions but decided to shop instead. Lot's of silver and other assorted jewelry. At the advice of our favorite bartender on the ship we went to Carlos and Charlies for lunch/beverage. Fun, Fun place if you can handle the party atmoshphere. Half the crew from the ship (Sea Princess) was there and we had a blast with them.

Your question is a difficult one to answer. Tastes and expectation are very individual. We sailed aboard the Atlantica after sailing both Cunard and Royal Caribbean. Costa does an excellent job of presenting their ships (very elegant and clean), but their service is lacking. The dinning room was the best we have experienced both in the food and service, yet the buffett was dismal at best. Activites were fun, but not as plentiful as aboard Royal and the ship went to sleep by midnight. The cabin was large, but rather plain. The showers got the entire bathroom floor wet, not a big deal but annoying. The long and the short of it is that we will return to Royal both for quality and value. The cost is about the same, but the overall cruise was much better aboard Royal. Shop around and see what matches YOUR expectations. There is a lot of good info out there and on this board. ;)

Archived