What should I do?!!

jemdot

I recently booked a cruise for myself and the boyfriend, and my TA said it would just be a $500 deposit for now and the balance would not be due until 2009. I looked at my credit card statement and RCI charged me for the entire amount of the cruise already. I called my TA, who called RCI, and then informed me that they would only be able to refund $1000 without having to cancel my whole reservation. My TA kind of just said sorry and that's it, meaning there's nothing she can do about it. What do you guys think I should do? Should I cancel and re-book? I have a "hump" balcony cabin though and I don't want to risk losing it. I do have the money to pay it off, but I kind of had that money earmarked for Christmas expenses. I don't think I should have to take on that burden because of a mistake that was not my fault. :(

Is just cancel, get all your money back and rebook. You might be able to get the cabin you want and maybe not, but if you weren't planning on spending that much at this point, I wouldn't. You could try to complain but they'll probably just tell you they're sorry and you're getting a full refund so you haven't really lost anything at this point.

This sounds like a TA mistake! I would call them again--you were only required to pay the $500, the balance is due 70 days before sail date (unless this is a holiday cruise--is it?)

Next time, I'd either book on my own, or get a different travel agent!

This sounds like a TA mistake! I would call them again--you were only required to pay the $500, the balance is due 70 days before sail date (unless this is a holiday cruise--is it?)

Next time, I'd either book on my own, or get a different travel agent!

No, the cruise isn't until next summer. So the TA is the one who is responsible for how much is charged to the card? She made it sound like it was RCI's fault. I definitely will use a different TA next time.

I recently booked a cruise for myself and the boyfriend, and my TA said it would just be a $500 deposit for now and the balance would not be due until 2009. I looked at my credit card statement and RCI charged me for the entire amount of the cruise already. I called my TA, who called RCI, and then informed me that they would only be able to refund $1000 without having to cancel my whole reservation. My TA kind of just said sorry and that's it, meaning there's nothing she can do about it. What do you guys think I should do? Should I cancel and re-book? I have a "hump" balcony cabin though and I don't want to risk losing it. I do have the money to pay it off, but I kind of had that money earmarked for Christmas expenses. I don't think I should have to take on that burden because of a mistake that was not my fault. :(

Try calling RCCL yourself and explain to them what your TA did and said. I know they usually do not talk to you if you book with a TA, but in some circumstances they will. This might be one of them. It is worth a try.

;)

The problem is with your TA, and you may want to transfer your reservation from the TA to RCI. Most Travel Agencies do not charge a fee for this, but be sure to check your reciept from the agency for any fees. You may want to call RCI direct to explain your problem and request assistance in resolving your problem.

Petert

If the TA won't correct her error, I would cancel with this TA and rebook directly with RCI on my own. While a hump cabin is wonderful, it is not worth having to put the full dollar amount upfront a year in advance. There are plenty of other wonderful cabins on the ship.

The suggestion to call RCI and try to speak with them yourself is a good one. They are pretty good about giving general info and advice, even when you've booked through a TA.

I would NOT want to give up my hump cabin over a mistake that wasn't mine.

How about this: figure out, as close as possible, what your total interest charges will if you just pay the minimum amount per month towards the charge on your credit card over the $500 deposit, up to the time that final payment is due.

Then figure out exactly who made the mistake (I'm sure it was the TA, but just to be safe...confirm.)

Then, ask for an OBC equal to the amount of money it's going to cost you to leave that charge on your credit card.

That way, you get to keep your cabin, the responsible party pays for their mistake, and they don't get the financial benefit of getting your money months before you had to give it to them.

This is definitely your TA's fault. I would ask to speak to a supervisor at the Agency You booked with and bring it to their attention. Why should You have to fork out the full amount of your cruise when it is not required. I would cancel myself and rebook.

Have you gone online to see if there is a different hump cabin available? If there is, put a hold on it and cancel the other cruise booking. Then pay your deposit online. If you are not comfortable with doing that, just put a hold on it and call RC.

Is the deposit on both cruises..I see you are doing a B2B?

Where are you finding that it is a back to back? If that is true, then most likely the $1,000 was correct - $250 per person deposit per cruise would be $1,000, but that's only if it was two 6-9 night cruises.

Where are you finding that it is a back to back? If that is true, then most likely the $1,000 was correct - $250 per person deposit per cruise would be $1,000, but that's only if it was two 6-9 night cruises.

Sorry...I was looking at Alexas signature thinking it was the OP...must need a nap or more coffee:confused:

If she leaves the payment in full, what happens if she has to cancel? Are they going to say, "Sorry no refund; she's already paid in full"???

I'd definitely try to get the payment refunded, even if I had to give up the hump.

Keep us posted, Jemdot, on how this turns out.

If she leaves the payment in full, what happens if she has to cancel? Are they going to say, "Sorry no refund; she's already paid in full"???

No - they can't deny a refund simply because she paid more than the deposit. A full refund of ALL money paid towards the cruise is available up to the date at which final payment is required. Paying in full prior to that date does not change the date at which refunds will no longer be given.

I would do a combination of what has been suggested. First - look for another hump cabin - if there is put a 24 hr reservation on it and then call the TA and read the riot act - about getting the problem corrected and the money credited back to my card. If the TA seems incapable of handling my request - I would cancel and then see how quickly it is released - then I would immediately call RCCL and get either the one I have the hold on or rereserve the original cabin. (Ouch my head is spinning!!) :confused:

The last thing I'm going to do is let them hold my money for an extra 6 - 9 months.

In a morning stupor I once cancelled my reservation - I was able to call and get it all fixed so maybe you can get the same cabin if you happen to be on line at the right time.

Good luck!!

I have an update!! Okay, so I took your suggestions and called RCI directly. At first, the guy kept telling me I needed to take up all billing questions with my TA. Finally when he heard the whole story, he seemed stunned. He informed me that there was no way RCI would have denied that request to have the money refunded and that I needed to have a serious talk with my TA. He put me on hold while he discussed the situation with his supervisor. His supervisor conference called my TA and basically told her that the money needed to be refunded. My TA then meekly told me that I would receive the refund and I would get a new invoice.

It sounds like my TA was being dishonest, but I do want to give her the benefit of the doubt and believe that she was just confused about the policy. However, I also believe that she didn't try hard enough to get my money back. As of now, my booking is still under her because she is giving me a $165 OBC, but I know I will never book with her again.

Thanks everybody!

I have an update!! Okay, so I took your suggestions and called RCI directly. At first, the guy kept telling me I needed to take up all billing questions with my TA. Finally when he heard the whole story, he seemed stunned. He informed me that there was no way RCI would have denied that request to have the money refunded and that I needed to have a serious talk with my TA. He put me on hold while he discussed the situation with his supervisor. His supervisor conference called my TA and basically told her that the money needed to be refunded. My TA then meekly told me that I would receive the refund and I would get a new invoice.

It sounds like my TA was being dishonest, but I do want to give her the benefit of the doubt and believe that she was just confused about the policy. However, I also believe that she didn't try hard enough to get my money back. As of now, my booking is still under her because she is giving me a $165 OBC, but I know I will never book with her again.

Thanks everybody!

Thanks for the update, and I'm really happy this worked out for you! This was also a great lesson for others:

1) Don't just accept the first thing that is told to you over the phone by either RCI or your TA

2) Stick to your guns when you know you're right

Great job!

Maybe your TA was just needing a bigger paycheck this month. Is it safe to assume the commission gets paid when the booking is paid in full??

No, the money isn't sent to the agency until after final payment so RCL would have held on to it.

This is a case where I would say the TA is probably at fault. I'm glad you followed through with the advise given here.

Just bear in mind - not all TA's are like that. There are some on here who would tell you that, but like any profession, there are bad apples and those with absolutely no knowledge. For some of that part I would blame the agency for not training properly before turning the agent onto the customers.

Archived