Dawn to Bermuda

celebrityprincess

I've never sailed on NCL before and was hoping someone could tell me how it compares to Celebrity, Princess, Holland America, or Royal Caribbean. I like traditional dinner sitting at the same table every night with the same waiters. Do they offer that on NCL or is it all free style? This cruise is for a family reunion of about 15 people ranging is age from 25-65. Any hints on cabin choice would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Freestlyle mean you go to your meals when you want to and you may not be able to sit at the same table each time. (they also have some pay as you go eateries that are quite good but you need reservations) If you like the structured stuff, NCL is not for you.:o

You can have it as structured as you want. With a group of 15 you'll have to make reservations in the main dining room if you all want to eat together. Talk to the Maitre d' after you board. He/she can suggest the best way to handle your needs. You can reserve the same table(s) each night at the same time.

I've never sailed on NCL before and was hoping someone could tell me how it compares to Celebrity, Princess, Holland America, or Royal Caribbean. I like traditional dinner sitting at the same table every night with the same waiters. Do they offer that on NCL or is it all free style? This cruise is for a family reunion of about 15 people ranging is age from 25-65. Any hints on cabin choice would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Take DaveJohn's suggestion!

We cruised the other lines also. Just substitute Carnival in for Holland though. In our opinion, NCL stands with them.

In our experience, this cruiseline might have a little better something than the other, that cruiseline might have a little something better than that one. Regardless of what touch, specialty, or preference we might have missed on any one cruiseline, we enjoyed all the cruiselines we've been on.

It might be tough getting a table for 15 though. Most likely, you'll have two tables. However, I think I saw a table for 14 only once on our recent Dawn cruise. I guess you can see what they can do for you.

In whatever you choose CP, have a great trip!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm glad to hear that we can reserve tables in the dining room. With my family, it's easier to have a specified time to meet for dinner. We all tend to do what we want during the day and then meet for dinner to talk about it. It doesn't matter if we're not at the same table. I've read good and bad reviews of NCL, but my thought is that I'll be on a cruise so I'll be happy! Some may be better than others, but in my opinion there is no such thing as a bad cruise! :p

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm glad to hear that we can reserve tables in the dining room. With my family, it's easier to have a specified time to meet for dinner. We all tend to do what we want during the day and then meet for dinner to talk about it. It doesn't matter if we're not at the same table. I've read good and bad reviews of NCL, but my thought is that I'll be on a cruise so I'll be happy! Some may be better than others, but in my opinion there is no such thing as a bad cruise! :p

I'm confident you'll enjoy NCL. We tried "freestyle" for the first time in 2005 after numerous cruises on the "traditional dining" cruise lines and were pleasantly surprised. It was one of the most enjoyable cruises we've ever had. I would say give NCL a try and then come back and let us know how you enjoyed it. The Dawn is one of NCL's best ships. :)

Thanks!

With a party of 15, I believe you will be able to make reservations every night in the same main dining room and request the same table and time. If you prefer "traditional" dining, this may be an option. You may not necessarily have the same waitstaff, however, as the waitstaff moves around from restaurant to restaurant if necessary.

The advantage of Freestyle dining is the many dining options you have. The selection of cuisines, decors and a more intimate atmosphere are what makes NCL our favorite cruiseline. You need to make reservations to accommodate a party of fifteen in any of the restaurants on board.

Have a great family reunion and have fun on you cruise.

What's really neat about freestyle is you can still reserve 2 tables to accommodate everyone in the DR of your choice (there are 2). You can make that a standing rsvn like our friends just did this last wk on the Dawn (they only had 6 in their party). But if you all (or even some of you) would like to venture out to one of the specialty restaurants one night (they are GREAT fun and the food is wonderful), you are not "stuck" in traditional. Just let the maitre d' know that you won't be needing your tables that particilar night....or say keep one and let 1/2 the group try somewhere else.

Teppanyaki is wonderful for a group - like Benihana style on a hibachi grill and very entertaining. You can arrange for your whole group to have dinner together there ($25 pp). Fun for a special evening.

So the choice is yours. All "traditional" style or mix it up, even a little! You might like it!

Unfortunately someone (i.e. probably you) has to be in charge of finding out how many might be interested in eating in one of the specialties and then make a rsvn. You can do it the day before or the day you wish to eat.

Good luck and pls come back and report your experiences! We haven't had any 'large group' reviews recently.

Thank you snorklin'barb. You're right - it will probably be me and one of my sisters in charge of gathering the troups for dinner, but that's ok. We probably will "mix it up" a little, but it will be so much easier to have a set time and place the majority of the time We're not going until July of 2009....I'm not sure I can wait that long!

cp,

I'm sure you're up to the challenge.;) Look at it this way - if you chose to eat in one of the specialty restaurants on one of the other lines, you'd still probably end up being the organizer.;):D

You can look over all the week's menus at the dining rsvn desk in the atrium. That way if a particular menu isn't so appealing, you can make alternate plans.

You can also request the same wait teams even, in the DR. You might have to follow them around though as they don't always have the same tables. But it can work out if you coordinate with the maitre d' in advance. If you meet a wait team you really like ask them how to "reserve" them for the next night and they'll direct you to the right person.

Archived