South Pacific Aranui 3-new reviews?

Hi Leah:

Thanks for the link to the pictures.

I've also got a ton of "stuff" on the Aranui but didn't have that one.

Would post links to things but don't know how to do that.

I've booked pre and post at the Hotel Tahiti Nui which is right downtown near the dock area, it's a new (2008) hotel and I like to be able to walk around and see what's there instead of lying by a pool at a resort 8 miles from town. <G>

Are you going to stay in Tahiti pre and post also?

What part of the world do you live in? I'm in Kansas City, MO.

In that the temp here last night was -5, I'm ready to be in the South Pacific.

Jim

Hey there Jim!

This will be our 2nd trip to Polynesia - the 1st being in 2003 via PG the typical 7 day Marquesas which resulted in us getting the Polynesia bug - we've dreamed of going back for further exploration of the less inhabiated isles o fthe Marquesas.

Do you have a Facebook page? If you did I can send you personal details of our itinerary, logistics etc.. The other option I propose is I could start a Group FB page for 2011 Aranui booked pax. which I did for our CC Roll Call last year for a med. cruise on NCL -it was great sharing: helpful tips, fotos, shore excursion /private tour shares etc.. LMK if interested.

1. Would love to see your Aranui 'stuff". it's funny my DH does not know how to copy & paste a link either or anything for that matter no matter how many times I demonstrate it or make him try it. He can put a ptient to sleep but can't copy a link LOL;)

So far,

Hotels: pre = IC Tahiti Resort , and Post = Sofitel Tahiti

We want to do a 3-4 hour Tahiti circle tour too pre cruise before embarking Aranui (already did the Gaughin Museum) so would love to hear what you wind up doing for one day in Tahiti. I have NO idea what time we embark - do you, does anybody on this thread know?

We live in Maryland, 18 Degrees (F) this morning, so yes I am ready to get the heck outta dodge right - have been ready for the past 1 - 2months. I hate cold winter weather, but I guess better tha your temps, its relative. We are a "working-family" pre-retirment pre-snow birds and visit our pre snowbird places in the Lower keys & St. John USVI quite often, its the only way my husband can tolearte my winter S.A. D. / irritability! LOL:D

Hope to hear back from you soon and get yours and OPs' feedback on starting a group FB page for "Aranui-ers".

Stay Warm all!

Leah RN

Hi again Leah:

Sorry but I don't do (or want to do) Facebook.

Not that I'm anti-social but there are too many downsides to it.

I too started a Roll Call group on an NCL Med cruise several years ago.

We had a group of about 30 or so and enjoyed the trip together, on land and sea.

It was a great 14-day out of Southampton and I had a super aft cabin on the Jade.

Never cruise again on a regular cruise ship without an aft cabin, I'm spoiled. <G>

I believe we embark on the Aranui at 10:30 Sat. morning.

I'm planning to arrive PPT on the Thursday morning at 0530 from LAX and am departing PPT on Saturday morning at 10:30. staying over in LAX at a hotel and on to MCI Sunday mid-day.

I will probably just walk around town while there, have a few cold Hinanos in the local joints, maybe take a tour around the island, eat at one or more of the Roulottes at the wharf within walking distance of my hotel, and check out the nightlife.

I enjoy meeting locals wherever I travel and sharing information about our home environments.

For that reason I try to stay in the downtown areas as opposed to a remote resort.

Also, because I'm a solo traveler it just makes more sense.

How much longer are you going to be pre-retirement? I gave that up 18 years ago as it cut into my "fun" time.

I'm really glad I found this trip while looking for different and unique adventurous trips.

It promises to be all of that and more.

"Talk" with you later.

Jim

I am on facebook, I joined in order to keep track of our kids! I will post a review of my trip on CC as well as TA. I have not heard from the Suisse B&B, so I will probably stay at the Tahiti Nui. I am now working on a riverboat on the Ohio River near Cincinnati, earning money so I can go back to the Africa Mercy later this year and also to help pay for the Aranui.

Hi John:

I think we'll both like the Tahiti Nui as it is close to all the activity and the hub of the downtown.

It must be a little chilly being out on the Ohio this time of year.

Are there a lot of locks down in the Cincinnati area as there are up around Pit?

I have some good video and audio of riverboats on the Ohio and Mississippi with the late John Hartford at the helm, singing his great songs. He was one-of-a-kind.

Keep warm.

Jim

Hi John:

I think we'll both like the Tahiti Nui as it is close to all the activity and the hub of the downtown.

It must be a little chilly being out on the Ohio this time of year.

Are there a lot of locks down in the Cincinnati area as there are up around Pit?

I have some good video and audio of riverboats on the Ohio and Mississippi with the late John Hartford at the helm, singing his great songs. He was one-of-a-kind.

Keep warm.

Jim

There are a few of my shipmates that captained the Delta Queen when she was running the rivers. Also a good friend who was shipmates with John Hartford and spoke at his funeral, a celebration of his life and times on the river. Unlike the Pittsburgh area this part of the Ohio is a lock free 96 miles between Meldahl at mile 436 and Markland at mile 532. I am on the Grand Victoria II at Rising Sun. We no longer cruise but require licensed officers on board, a nice retirement job, where we don't worry about running aground or hitting other ships.

• 2 weeks later...

CAPTAINMCD,

Being the inveterate traveler that I am (retired railroad Engr), I would dearly love to hop another freight, the ARUNUI, like you. But for now, it's a 30-day Hawaii/Polynesia cruise, leaving Mar 4th. QUESTION: Have you read Paul Theroux's 'The Happy Isles of Oceania', the salty tale of his time aboard the ARUNUI and his kayaking thru the Pacific Isles? Locomotiveman Tom

CAPTAINMCD,

Being the inveterate traveler that I am (retired railroad Engr), I would dearly love to hop another freight, the ARUNUI, like you. But for now, it's a 30-day Hawaii/Polynesia cruise, leaving Mar 4th. QUESTION: Have you read Paul Theroux's 'The Happy Isles of Oceania', the salty tale of his time aboard the ARUNUI and his kayaking thru the Pacific Isles? Locomotiveman Tom

Hi Tom, I hope the 30 day cruise goes well, on what ship are you travelling? My dad was a Pennsylvania railroader. Running a ship is a lot like a train, a lot of momentum and a lot of kamikazi drivers and yachters who want to get in your way! I haven't read Happy Isles of Oceania, but will read it on your recommendation. John

Same here Tom, thank you for the book recommendation, hopefully reading it will make the months go by more quickly as we wait for our NOV 2011 voyage on Aranui.

Have a wonderful voyage in March, we look forward to your review or journal entries.

Leah & Doc

• 4 weeks later...

Well, We're off on our 30-day to French Polynesia...Stopping at many of the same Ports-of-Calls as the Aruni. Sailing on Holland-America's ROTTERDAM. March 4th. I ain't forgot ya. Just Busy.

For a laugh....find my latest 'Post' in the, "What ever happened to... Your 1st Cruise..." area

I 'tamed' my post WA-aaay down......drastically!!! What a hoot that 'Cruise' was.

Locomotiveman

• 1 month later...

Hi Madame:

To check on details of this trip, you can go to travltips.com and their site also has prices listed.

The accommodations range from suites to dormitory-style so there is a lot to pick from.

You can also book passage through that site or their 800 number.

I'm really looking forward to being on board in about 4+ months and I too am a solo traveler.

Jim

Edited by Jiminkcmo

So by now Locomotiveman must be on-board the Rotterdam - wish him the best and regrets that I missed sending off a sincere Bon Voage.

So, locomotiveman in case you're on-line at all, or making journal entries , JunPoa still here just had not checked this thread for several weeks. Just returned 2 weeks ago from an E. Caribbean HAL medical education seminar/ cruise - a good break from from our mid-atlantic long winter. Welcome spring!

So, DH & I have booked our cabin for a mid-November 2011 Aranui 3, doing lots of research. Can't wait to read Aranui reviews and hear back from Locomotiveman on thoughts and experiences of the similar itinerary he's on now.

Let's keep this thread going and it would be helpful if anyone finds links to any news, updates, or Aranui reviews.

Take Care All!

Leah

Leah, Jim, and Locomotiveman Tom, We just made our final payment for the Jully 16th sailing. I have read Paul Theroux's Happy Isles of Oceania. He seems to be my kind of traveller, but a bit more adventuresome than I. I also read his Old Patagonian Express. Last week we made a cruise of the Eastern Caribbean on the Celebrity Summit, but not for CME credits. It was nice, but I expect that the Aranui 3 will be far more interesting. I never was too fond of feeling like a tourist being processed through an experience. You can get that by going to Disney/Epcot.

Leah, Jim, and Locomotiveman Tom, We just made our final payment for the Jully 16th sailing. I have read Paul Theroux's Happy Isles of Oceania. He seems to be my kind of traveller, but a bit more adventuresome than I. I also read his Old Patagonian Express. Last week we made a cruise of the Eastern Caribbean on the Celebrity Summit, but not for CME credits. It was nice, but I expect that the Aranui 3 will be far more interesting. I never was too fond of feeling like a tourist being processed through an experience. You can get that by going to Disney/Epcot.

Captainmcd, We also do not prefer the "typical" mass market cruises but hey DH gothis required CMEs and it was the wek of B-day, so we went for it. One ofthe ports was (STT of course :rolleyes:) so we feried on over to STJ and stoipped by our rental condo- guest into so couldn't check it or do any fix its etc, so we met up w/ our new property mgr there - then swung by a few nearby beaches (Hawksnest) surf up too much too snorkel so then made our way painlessly back to the Eurodam. The only ship/ voyage expereince that even remotely close to what we expect on Aranui were the (now defunct) Cruise West Spirit of Oceanus (110 pax) and the X- Expedition (Galapagos), we expect aranui to be even more laid back according ot reviews/ reports.

Paul's book Happy Isle of Aranui is on my to do list - wish they had it on books on tape/ CD - I could easily listen during my work commute everyday :D

For NOV 2011 Aranui trip our air is booked, pre/post hotel booked and a pre cruise Tahiti circle island door (interior) booked for one day prior to cruise, hope to have time to stop by the Papeete marche to pick up a few local items.

On a mission now to find latex free snorkel/ swim wear , had the most severe God awful latex allergy-sytemic hives but worse on contact areas (from being in frequent swimwear) lasted one week started on the day we diembarked had to hike up the prednisone for several days. Know I had the latex allergy but had only one prior reaction as severe as this one - maybe 5 years ago.

Very excited for this trip - always adding to my seashell & sea glass collection!

Keep in touch guys!

Leah & Doc

Madame C, Finally found dorm costs. 14N $224 total. Coed dorms, one 8 beds, other 10 beds. 10 percent Senior discount 9/17/11. Looks like Tahitis answer to the late Windjammer line. Being French one hopes for better food.I looked at this several years ago and felt it was overpriced. Have seen PG at $1050 for a week in low season. Anyone stayed in the A. dorms?

I'm booked on the Aranui 3 for February 2012. After reading all of the posts, I hope the weather will be okay but after this winter I was bent on getting to somewhere warm in either Jan or Feb. I'm looking for a recommendation for a reasonably priced hotel in or near Papeete. We'll be flying into Papeete one day before the cruise departure so don't need anything fancy for the one night. We were in Papeete in 1995 before a Windstar cruise to the more frequently visited Tahitian islands - Bora Bora, etc. We're really looking forward to this Aranui adventure.

Hi srosenz:

I'm on the Aranui this August and booked pre and post days at the Hotel Tahiti Nui, which is in downtown near the dock area.

The hotel was built in 2008 and looks great from what I can find on the net.

Also, all the reviews are good.

Jim

Thanks, CaptMcD for exhaustive reviews. I take back my previous observation about pricing. Had no idea about the tours being included. The daily excursions sound great. Anyone have experience in COED DORM? Sounds a little unusual.

The best reviews on the Aranui 3 are on the tripadvisor.com message board for French Polynesia/Marquesas. There is a lot of information there. As far as hotels go, I settled on the Tahiti Nui even though it is expensive. It is near the port, and the Faire Suisse B&B is not apparently booking guests at this time, they do not answer my email. I'm back in the pilot house again, enjoying my "retirement" on the Ohio River.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are on the 3rd sailing in 2012 which departs March 17th. Enjoying reading all of the comments about Aranui and related topics. Have not booked our air or pre/post hotels but open to suggestions. Also, we would like to spend a few days in one of the islands after our trip. We like quiet and peaceful as opposed to resort areas that are a tad busy. Was thinking that Huahine might be a good choice. Any thoughts? I should mention this is our 25th wedding celebration so I am looking for a special trip.

JunPOA,

Hi. We're back!! South Pacific cruise was fabulous. Unfortunately my CruiseCritic review was 'lopped off' just when I got to reviewing the Ports-of-Calls, just when I was getting into the 'Nitty-Gritty' of the various islands' local color and how to hit their shores without wasting time etc. etc.Oh well. Anyway, We NEVER had a glitch because we 'winged it'. It didn't seem to pay off for those who pre-arranged tours etc. Whyso?? The islands are begging for tourist business. When I wanted a Land-rover for the jungle...I got one. When we wanted to go snorkel in a small group w/beach BBQ...we got it!! Every time. One caveat...Pape'ete is a congested urban scene....Go East and South on Tahiti for a 'tropical experience'. It never felt citified anywhere else. We are now TAN. Bye. Locomotiveman TOM

Tom, Thanks for posting and keeping this thread at the top. I read your great review of the Rotterdam 30 day south Pacific trip. I can't wait for our trip on the Aranui 3 in July. I am still working on the riverboat for a few more months. The river is still high and rising, all the rain seems to go up the Ohio River. We are bone dry down in Texas. I hope we have a fairly rain free trip to the Marquesas. Was it the actor Sterling Hayden who took his daughter on a trip to the Marquesas? I have wanted to visit there since reading his book. I really enjoyed all of Thereaux's adventures as well.

• 1 month later...

This thread, and in fact the whole board are not too active, but in just 34 days we will be flying to Tahiti for the July 16th departure of the Aranui III. It will also be our 28th wedding anniversary. I just wanted to keep this board a little more active with this post.

John:

You're so right about this thread/board/Aranui being rather comatose.

I'll be just a few weeks behind you for the August 6th sailing.

Please leave any unopened scotch bottles in Suite G and I'll take good care of them. <G>

I'll bet you are ready to roll.

And Happy Anniversary to you both.

Wish I could have proposed a toast personally but you tried to get repositioned without any luck.

I'm sure I'll hear all about your celebration.

Enjoy your adventure.

Jim