Novo outbreak on the Jewel?

Slyfox16

Again wrong information being given...:mad: And no, the NCL medical staff does not charge for treating Noro Virus!!!

Just wondering if nursebubba is relaying information from another cruise line other than NCL. Everything she has said is directly opposite of your experience on NCL.

Again wrong information being given...:mad: And no, the NCL medical staff does not charge for treating Noro Virus!!!

Just wondering if nursebubba is relaying information from a cruise line other than NCL. Everything she has said is directly opposite of your experience on NCL.

Just wondering if nursebubba is relaying information from a cruise line other than NCL. Everything she has said is directly opposite of your experience on NCL.

Who knows...;) If that is the case, that poster needs to make it clear which cruise line they are talking about.

In case someone would want to add that if you are undergoing chemo you should stay home, believe me that is definitely a time when you need whatever distraction you can find.

I know this is jumping the shark some, but a comment on this. During my chemo days, I had a 2 week trip to Alaska planned (had been planning it for almost a year). My doctor had me cancel it, as it was too long and too far away. I suggested a cruise, but my doctor vetoed that, too. Although it would be a great distraction and totally rock, a cruise really isn't the best place because of the immune system issues and distance from real medical facilities. :( We ended up doing 6 days in the Florida Keys for the trip instead.

I am sailing in three days on Jewel and am O neg I am more susceptible?. Please tell me this is not true...............

Sorry, but in a Technical Fact Sheet, the CDC states:

"Recent evidence also suggests that susceptibility to infection may be genetically determined, with people of blood group O being at greatest risk for severe infection."

I am also O neg, but when I was informed that the ship I was about to cruise on last January was in Code Red, I didn't hesitate in the slightest about boarding. The infection rate is always very low - not a lot of people on the ship contract the disease. Just take the recommended precautions and have a good time!

I just read the CDC report from the Jewel sailing DH and I were on (10/8 to 10/18). I didn't realize just over 5% of crew and passengers had symptoms of Noro virus. DH and I remained healthy but we wash our hands frequently and always used the sanitizers before meals.

If everyone would wash their hands PROPERLY which is at least a 20 second hand wash and use the sanitizer solution, there probably would be less folks effected.

One thing I noticed on the 10/8 to the 10/18 cruise was that the public restroom doors were left open. I appreciated this because I didn't have to touch the door knob when exiting the restroom. I did however, see a woman kick away the door stop which held the restroom main door open, as she entered. That is just one instance when someone undermined the heightened sanitation efforts. I didn't appreciate that she did that. I felt is necessary to use a paper towel to open the door handle. I'm not a germaphobe by any means but I do everything possible to protect myself on a "sick" ship.

The idea for having the open door to the rest room was a good one. I'm sure the lady who got rid of it didn't realize the reasoning behind it. Perhaps some signage would have prevented her action.

Nancy

The idea for having the open door to the rest room was a good one. I'm sure the lady who got rid of it didn't realize the reasoning behind it. Perhaps some signage would have prevented her action.

Nancy

ALL public restroom entrance doors were propped open on this cruise. How can anyone not realize there is a reason for this? Even if you didn't know what the reason was, it was very evident that the crew wanted all the doors to remain open.

Everyone thinks that Crew members don't get sick but they do and they have to work so if they do get sick, you probably won't know it...they take there imodium and get to work. Some people never throw up and can still have a virus. I have never seen a crew member sanitize their hands ever.They are human, just like us. It's possible you don't get sick from a crew member, but you can get still get sick from the food and water without them being sick.

Everyone thinks that Crew members don't get sick but they do and they have to work so if they do get sick, you probably won't know it...they take there imodium and get to work. Some people never throw up and can still have a virus. I have never seen a crew member sanitize their hands ever.They are human, just like us. It's possible you don't get sick from a crew member, but you can get still get sick from the food and water without them being sick.

How exactly do you know that "they (crew members) have to work so if they do get sick you probably won't know it"?? We were told..and I don't think NCL has a reason to lie..that there were sick crew members on our ship (the Jewel), who were confined to their cabins just like the sick passengers.

I have indeed seen crew members santize their hands..and hands of the crew members walking with them..last week on the Jewel when we were cruising. And you DON'T get sick from the food and water -- you get sick from picking up the VIRUS from others who are sick.

If you're "sick from the food and/or water" it's either seasickness, drunkness, or possible food poisoning..and there have been no reports of food poisoning on NCL ships that I can verify.

This is so profoundly false. If a crew member is sick they will be quaratined just like the passengers (except they can get fired for leaving their cabin unlike passengers). The cruise line doesn't want this spread any more than the passengers do.

Oh, and can we correct the title. It is not novovirus it it norovirus. Other people are starting new threads with the same misspelling.:confused:

PE

Crew also has to stay in their cabin for X amount of hours (normally 24-72) and if the crew deals with food (cooks, waiters etc) its an extra 24 hours.

I used the hand sanitizers every time I walked past one and I had one in my cabin also. Crew is the first to get really sick from this and its always brought onto the ship from passengers. Crew gets little sleep, always working..doesn't take much for us to get under the weather!

Voyagevirgin-I was just thinking that also..can't wait to read the report :D

I too was on this cruise. We just washed our hands and did not eat from the buffet. The crew worked very hard to keep us germ free. My husband did spend a lot of time in our room reading and our steward did ask me several times if he was sick. I'm sure that they are told to report any problems. The last day at sea was a little rough and my stomach got a little sea sick... but not noro sick. When i asked the concierge about the problem with illness... Alex said it was not noro, but a 24/48 hour virus. We had a wonderful time. Nancy

I too was on this cruise. We just washed our hands and did not eat from the buffet. The crew worked very hard to keep us germ free. My husband did spend a lot of time in our room reading and our steward did ask me several times if he was sick. I'm sure that they are told to report any problems. The last day at sea was a little rough and my stomach got a little sea sick... but not noro sick. When i asked the concierge about the problem with illness... Alex said it was not noro, but a 24/48 hour virus. We had a wonderful time. Nancy

The Doctor said what I had was Noro but there may have been another virus onboard that did not involve the vomitting.

Curious how you came to that conclusion? Being Positive or Negative has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Yes, I am wondering the same thing. Perhaps VoyageVirgin has a citation to share, so that we can learn from it. Otherwise ....

And you DON'T get sick from the food and water -- you get sick from picking up the VIRUS from others who are sick.

If you're "sick from the food and/or water" it's either seasickness, drunkness, or possible food poisoning..and there have been no reports of food poisoning on NCL ships that I can verify.

I'm not contradicting you just to be difficult, but to better inform others. I'm about to board the Jewel tomorrow, so the topic is of interest to me. Here's what the CDC says:

Among the 232 outbreaks of norovirus illness reported to CDC from July 1997 to June 2000, 57% were foodborne, 16% were due to person-to-person spread, and 3% were waterborne; in 23% of outbreaks, the cause of transmission was not determined. In this study, common settings for outbreaks include restaurants and catered meals (36%), nursing homes (23%), schools (13%), and vacation settings or cruise ships (10%).

Most foodborne outbreaks of norovirus illness are likely to arise though direct contamination of food by a food handler immediately before its consumption. Outbreaks have frequently been associated with consumption of cold foods, including various salads, sandwiches, and bakery products. Liquid items (e.g., salad dressing or cake icing) that allow virus to mix evenly are often implicated as a cause of outbreaks. Food can also be contaminated at its source, and oysters from contaminated waters have been associated with widespread outbreaks of gastroenteritis. Other foods, including raspberries and salads, have been contaminated before widespread distribution and subsequently caused extensive outbreaks.

Waterborne outbreaks of norovirus disease in community settings have often been caused by sewage contamination of wells and recreational water.

I'm not contradicting you just to be difficult, but to better inform others. I'm about to board the Jewel tomorrow, so the topic is of interest to me. Here's what the CDC says:

Among the 232 outbreaks of norovirus illness reported to CDC from July 1997 to June 2000, 57% were foodborne, 16% were due to person-to-person spread, and 3% were waterborne; in 23% of outbreaks, the cause of transmission was not determined. In this study, common settings for outbreaks include restaurants and catered meals (36%), nursing homes (23%), schools (13%), and vacation settings or cruise ships (10%).

Most foodborne outbreaks of norovirus illness are likely to arise though direct contamination of food by a food handler immediately before its consumption. Outbreaks have frequently been associated with consumption of cold foods, including various salads, sandwiches, and bakery products. Liquid items (e.g., salad dressing or cake icing) that allow virus to mix evenly are often implicated as a cause of outbreaks. Food can also be contaminated at its source, and oysters from contaminated waters have been associated with widespread outbreaks of gastroenteritis. Other foods, including raspberries and salads, have been contaminated before widespread distribution and subsequently caused extensive outbreaks.

Waterborne outbreaks of norovirus disease in community settings have often been caused by sewage contamination of wells and recreational water.

yes but in the case of a buffet the "food handler" can be a passenger....

also the Norwalk viruses are not just one virus but a series of them and different people react differently to the same virus any way.

My point is: it's not the FOOD or WATER itself that's a problem...it's that someone with the virus handles the food or water and so it gets contaminated.

I think we need to be careful not to blow this all out of proportion. It's never fun when anyone gets sick on a cruise, but it happens. Anytime so many people are in such a small space it will happen. Just take the precautions you can and enjoy your cruise. There's a 94%+ chance you WON'T get sick.

How exactly do you know that "they (crew members) have to work so if they do get sick you probably won't know it"?? We were told..and I don't think NCL has a reason to lie..that there were sick crew members on our ship (the Jewel), who were confined to their cabins just like the sick passengers.

I have indeed seen crew members santize their hands..and hands of the crew members walking with them..last week on the Jewel when we were cruising. And you DON'T get sick from the food and water -- you get sick from picking up the VIRUS from others who are sick.

From what I have read about norovirus, contaminated food or beverages can be a source of infection for humans. In fact, the article stated, "food contaminated by feces". Ugh... just the thought of that is gross. I can understand, however, how that is possible. The virus is found in the stool, hence, having to give a stool sample to diagnose the presence of the virus in a human. Contaminated food could be a source of infection so this is why the passengers are not allowed to touch the food or serving utensils in the buffet.

The same article which a link was posted here on cruise critic, also stated that the virus is not an airborne organism, hence, the virus is not contracted via the respiratory tract. There was one passenger that I know of who wore a mask from the moment of embarkation on the Oct. 8th cruise because I saw her at the registration desk. Some folks may have thought this passenger was wearing the mask to prevent contracting the norovirus. If that were the case, every person on board the ship would have had to protect themselves with masks.

coffeebean

Curious how you came to that conclusion? Being Positive or Negative has absolutely nothing to do with it.

If you don't believe there is a difference between positive and negative blood typing make sure you never ask for a transfusion.

The neg/pos may have nothing to do with the CDC and noro virus, however, you stated you had O neg. blood - and I was just saying there is a difference between the positive/negative.

As for a citation?? Don't have it in writing - this was one of those verbal quotes from my sister the doctor. I can give you her email so you can argue with her if it would make you feel better.

FT

Archived