Getting my cheese onboard legally

Pinkbikini

I don't like to break rules ;)

But I'd like to pick up cheese in Aruba. If we are limited to a wheel (refrig limits in room or something) I'd be happy to buy just that. If we could get a sampler pack I'd really love that.

How should my cheese be packaged to be sure i'll be allowed to bring it onboard?

Any suggestions very helpful. We don't want to break the rules but we also can't swallow down several pounds of cheese at the customs line before getting back on the ship! :p Wanna make sure we buy right...

Pink

I don't like to break rules ;)

But I'd like to pick up cheese in Aruba. If we are limited to a wheel (refrig limits in room or something) I'd be happy to buy just that. If we could get a sampler pack I'd really love that.

How should my cheese be packaged to be sure i'll be allowed to bring it onboard?

Any suggestions very helpful. We don't want to break the rules but we also can't swallow down several pounds of cheese at the customs line before getting back on the ship! :p Wanna make sure we buy right...

Pink

Where do you buy your cheese and what kinds are there??

We are both cheese lovers and was planning on buying in St. Maarten.

Laura

I buy most of my cheese at MATCH, a supermarket just at the edge of Marigot. I buy several Camembert, soft blues like Blue de Bresse, triple creme, and of course a real French bread. I don't bother with Dutch cheese as they are available at home in supermarkets. There's a nice market in the center of Marigot.

I buy most of my cheese at MATCH, a supermarket just at the edge of Marigot. I buy several Camembert, soft blues like Blue de Bresse, triple creme, and of course a real French bread. I don't bother with Dutch cheese as they are available at home in supermarkets. There's a nice market in the center of Marigot.

Thanks for the info, looks like we will be heading to match by Marigot.

Laura

We always walk to a grocery store about a block or so behind the main street and get our cheese there..we buy a big wheel of gouda and some smaller wheels of edam...all delicious...no problem what so ever in bringing them on board and store them in our bar fridge...enjoy.

Pinkbikini,

You seem to have gotten it backwards.

Neither the ship nor the Aruba Customs care if you take cheese ONTO a cruise ship.

But many countries have a very big problem with you taking cheese OFF a cruise ship.

The USA and Canada both warn that dairy products purchased abroad are not allowed to be imported. Cheese is in a grey area. Some cheeses are made from pasteurized milk; some are not. Raw milk cheeses are a big no-no. Much of it also depends on the mood of the Customs Inspector as you leave the ship at the end of the cruise.

The official word from the US Customs website:

"Hard cured cheese such as parmesan or cheddar are generally admissible, soft cheeses such as brie and soft curd cheese and cheese in water(ricotta, feta, etc.) are not."

Edam and Gouda would be hard cured cheeses.

Archived