7 Day Cruise-4 Excursions-Help Dial Me In!!!

Zoolander

I realize that this has been talked about ad nauseum on this board, and I know that it comes down to preference, but let's be honest, there is so much to do in Alaska and you can only do so much, I would really like to make the best informed decisions possible.

That being said, I would consider myself a "vacationer" not a "tourist" and I have the tendency to really want to relax on cruises ("I am going to get another drink"), this is our fifth cruise (all of the others have been in warm weather). Alaska just has way to many opportunities to pass up, so that is why I would like your help to pick the best four for my wife and I (healthy, fit, 50ish).

Here is our cruise, Seven Seas Mariner, May 20th, Seward to Vancouver:

http://www.rssc.com/voyage/details.jsp?code=MAR090520

This is where we are leaning right now:

1. Seward: Fjord cruise at 11:30 am (we will be there long enough to do the IditaRide as well/but I am not counting that)

2. Juneau: One of the whale watching cruises (seems to be two companies that are discussed quite often here/prices similar/anything that separates the two?)

3. Skagway: We both want to do the train excursion and I am thinking about the bike trip down (my wife seems a tad bit concerned here, any safety issues on the trip down)

4. Ketchican: ZipLining. We were hurricaned out last year when we planned a Western Car. cruise, and though you can do this other places, I just have not.

So, this means, we will not be scheduling anything in Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, and Tracy Arm (only three hours there).

I will also say, that because that this is an early cruise, I have noticed that some of the companies are either not running yet, or not running yet at full speed (ex. Fjord Tours, Helicoptor Ride with Glacier/Mushing, etc.).

Okay, any help on "you are missing this", or "if you do that excursion, I would use this group", "you could easily double up here", etc. Thanks in advance.

I realize that this has been talked about ad nauseum on this board, and I know that it comes down to preference, but let's be honest, there is so much to do in Alaska and you can only do so much, I would really like to make the best informed decisions possible.

That being said, I would consider myself a "vacationer" not a "tourist" and I have the tendency to really want to relax on cruises ("I am going to get another drink"), this is our fifth cruise (all of the others have been in warm weather). Alaska just has way to many opportunities to pass up, so that is why I would like your help to pick the best four for my wife and I (healthy, fit, 50ish).

Here is our cruise, Seven Seas Mariner, May 20th, Seward to Vancouver:

http://www.rssc.com/voyage/details.jsp?code=MAR090520

This is where we are leaning right now:

1. Seward: Fjord cruise at 11:30 am (we will be there long enough to do the IditaRide as well/but I am not counting that)

2. Juneau: One of the whale watching cruises (seems to be two companies that are discussed quite often here/prices similar/anything that separates the two?)

3. Skagway: We both want to do the train excursion and I am thinking about the bike trip down (my wife seems a tad bit concerned here, any safety issues on the trip down)

4. Ketchican: ZipLining. We were hurricaned out last year when we planned a Western Car. cruise, and though you can do this other places, I just have not.

So, this means, we will not be scheduling anything in Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, and Tracy Arm (only three hours there).

I will also say, that because that this is an early cruise, I have noticed that some of the companies are either not running yet, or not running yet at full speed (ex. Fjord Tours, Helicoptor Ride with Glacier/Mushing, etc.).

Okay, any help on "you are missing this", or "if you do that excursion, I would use this group", "you could easily double up here", etc. Thanks in advance.

Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm are just cruising there - be on your balcony and walk around the decks to take it all in. On an early cruise you probably won't get too close to the Hubbard Glacier - there will be A LOT of ice in the water.

I did Orca Enterprises in Juneau for whale watching. Harv and Marv were already booked. I was not disappointed. It also seemed that all the boats were more or less together. We found some - they gave out - Capt. Larry moved on - we found more and all the other whale watching boats came over to where we were!

In Ketchikan I'd HIGHLY recommend Michelle and Island Wings for the floatplane to Misty Fjords. She's great and you'll see things unlike you've ever seen before.

be very careful here. i have been to the white pass summit in may and september during the '' not so busy '' season and have seen many close calls with the bikes and the buses and cars. i dont want to scare you but all the hills and curves make it very dangerous in my opinion to be on a bike with all the traffic. many do it and say they have a good time but it would not be something i would do. please be carefull if you do and i hope you have a great time.

Ketchikan is a pretty short stop. And Ketchikan is more or less the best place to see/purchase Native art. Some fabulous galleries. Just in case you're interested :) Next time we go back, we will just be doing Creek Street (but May is too early to see salmon spawning), walking the Married Man's Trail, and enjoying the town. Our tablemates on our last cruise did the zipline and were "scared spitless, it was FANTASTIC", so they enjoyed it :D

In Skagway, seriously, I'm not sure if the snow will be gone completely in order to bike down. If Yukon (a poster here) is around, he can tell you far better than I can. May is still somewhat early.

In Sitka, there are many things you can do on your own if you are so inclined. There's a shuttle bus that loops around town, with stops at most of the attractions. IMHO Sitka is the BEST stop, it is a jewel. First time there we did the Sea Otter and Wildlife cruise and it was magnificent. Second time there, we just used the shuttle bus to get around.

We are doing Coral Princess 5/18/09. I really want to do the following, but would appreciate any advice from experienced cruisers -

Juneau - helicopter and dog sledding - which one to choose? I found 3 options. Is there any benefit to booking it through Princess vs. on my own? Some posts made it sound like if you booked through Princess and one of the tours was cancelled due to poor visibility, that Princess worked to get you on another one, so you don't miss out entirely.

Ketchikan - hubby wants to do the "Deadliest Catch" boat. www.56degreesnorth.com Is this as good as the hype?

Skagway - Looking at booking the White Pass Train and Bike Tour through www.cyclealaska.com/trainbike.html

Reviews I read about all of the above have been mostly positive.

Thank you!!!!

Looks like have everything planned for Seward, Skagway and Ketchican. Just need to decide between 1 of the 3 whale watching tours in Juneau. We seem to be leaning toward the smaller and more intimate boat with Harv and Marv. Just like the idea of only six passengers, any other recommendations concerning the other two tours?

Thanks.

Azrose,

Very interested in the ZipLining in Ketchican. My wife is even going to look past her fear of heights. We have reserved all of our other excursions on this trip except for this one. I am having a tough time getting them to return my e-mails. Do you have any numbers for them?

Thanks.

Zoolander

Azrose,

Very interested in the ZipLining in Ketchican. My wife is even going to look past her fear of heights. We have reserved all of our other excursions on this trip except for this one. I am having a tough time getting them to return my e-mails. Do you have any numbers for them?

Thanks.

Zoolander

It was a TON of fun! I am 55 and did the zipline (first time ever also) with my 19 year old son while my boyfriend "observed". You will love it! The only time I experienced a fear of heights was the very first zip when you step off the platform knowing it is 50-70 feet below.....the rest of the zips are great after that.....it doesn't feel high up (to me) except for that "first step" since most of the time I looked directly across to the next platform and/or through the trees and NOT down below....the guides are great and very safety concious.....they do have rope obstacles as a part of the course which gave me difficulty (the first one especially---I am short and I think that was 1/2 my problem).....

I never had a number for them that I needed.....I booked them independently and not through the ship---it was a 3rd party supplier and I am not sure if I can post their name on this site.....hmmm?? I mostly went through them since they had an "observer" price too.....maybe directly through them they would also?? A lot of the other tours and such are closed for winter---maybe they are too??? Keep trying....and maybe someone else on this board can answer that????

Archived