Boca Chica Bar

hbrote

OMG no. That place closed a long time ago. The building is still there, but it hasn't been a bar in many, many years. R&R Diesel engine repair shop is in the building now.

You used to go there???!!! :eek:

If you remember Coral Isle Bar on Stock Island, it lasted much longer. They finally bulldozed it about 5 or 6 years ago and built townhouses.

• 2 weeks later...
OMG no. That place closed a long time ago. The building is still there, but it hasn't been a bar in many, many years. R&R Diesel engine repair shop is in the building now.

You used to go there???!!! :eek:

If you remember Coral Isle Bar on Stock Island, it lasted much longer. They finally bulldozed it about 5 or 6 years ago and built townhouses.

Yes to all of the above. I had forgotten about Stock Island.... Boy the memory starts to slip. The Boca Chica Bar was great, just lift your feet up around 4AM when they mopped the floor..........

I would take it the Night Beat on Duval is over and done with.

I wish I could remember the name of a pizza joint we used to go to. Best pizza I've every had. The owner came from New Jersey and did they do a business.

It's been overe 40 years since I walked down Duval St. Hope to get back on a cruise soon.

It's been overe 40 years since I walked down Duval St. Hope to get back on a cruise soon.

You will be sorely disappointed.:(

We went to the Shrimp Shack yesterday for lunch and it was terrific and almost like going back 20 years. The picnic tables are literally within 20 ft of the shrimp trawlers and you just can't get much fresher than that.

Mike:)

They have the best Shrimp salad I've ever had. I stop by Hogfish, grab a roadie cocktail and take it up to the 'Shack.

For the more adventurous cruiser, the Shrimp Shack is a taxi ride away on Stock Island. It is a wholesale fish house that buys seafood catches from commercial boats from here and other ports all along the Gulf of Mexico. It's nothing fancy, it's outdoor picnic tables right next to rusty old fishing boats but that's the attraction of the place. You'll see huge containers of fresh fish and you'll hear some "salty" language from the chain smoking, hardened fishermen but it seems to have a tremendous appeal.

You can't get fresher fish/shrimp/lobster/stone crab lunch than here.

Chris, the cook at Shrimp Shack, was the cook at Cookie's Kitchen at Geiger Key Marina until Bobby (of Hogfish fame) took it over and named it Geiger Key Smokehouse Grill. We're so glad Chis is making it at Shrimp Shack. It's our FAVORITE lunch spot.

A group of people are working very hard to make Stock Island the new "old" Key West, including Bobby, Andy Griffiths and Ed Swift. Of course there is still petty crime and hookers (the utility pole before you turn left towards Hogfish sems to be the "corner") but it's coming up. It will take years to clean up but it's a start.

(the utility pole before you turn left towards Hogfish sems to be the "corner")

Are you talking about that double concrete utility pole near the curve? If I'm not mistaken, everything from that pole to the end of the street is private property, including the roadway (public access, of course).

Archived