VOYAGER ouf of Galveston/Progresso

05mak05

Thank you to RCI for being responsive to the lower fuel prices! We've always thought that cruising was a bargain regardless of added supplements. We were on the Voyager in January of this year and loved all of the ports and especially our new adventure in Progresso! We've booked this cruise for Feb. 2009 and also for Jan. 2010. We have our fingers crossed that perhaps the Yucatan will be reinstated should the added distance once again become cost effective. We still have places to go and things to see in that area! It was fun.

Not because of fuel costs but because the Port of Progresso has a "darness" requirement that ships cannot remain in port after dusk. It concerns the narrow ship channel. This restriciton impacts cruise ships primarily in the winter months due to earlier sunsets.

I've also heard that Voyager was no longer going to Progresso because of the fact that the pier area isn't lighted. Friends tell me, however, that the Carnival Ecstasy continues to go to Progresso and that the ship doesn't pull out until 6pm. We've never sailed on Carnival and have no idea how large the Ecstasy is ... perhaps it's a smaller ship??? TexasMunk, do you know?

We've never sailed on Carnival and have no idea how large the Ecstasy is ... perhaps it's a smaller ship???

The Ecstasy is a much smaller ship than Voyager. In fact, Carnival doesn't have anything as big as Voyager.

The Ecstasy is a much smaller ship than Voyager. In fact, Carnival doesn't have anything as big as Voyager.

The Dream which is already on its maiden voyage holds 500+ more pax than Voyager, but has less tonnage. A point in Voyager's favor, even though Carnival folks say its just displacement and because of the large open promenade area. tonage = displacement.

I would call the Dream close since it holds more passengers, just doesnt displace as much water.

Dream

Length: 1004 Feet

Guests: 3646

Tons: 128,000

Voyager

Length: 1020 Feet

Guests: 3114

Tons: 138,000

The Dream which is already on its maiden voyage holds 500+ more pax than Voyager, but has less tonnage. A point in Voyager's favor, even though Carnival folks say its just displacement and because of the large open promenade area. tonage = displacement.

I would call the Dream close since it holds more passengers, just doesnt displace as much water.

Dream

Length: 1004 Feet

Guests: 3646

Tons: 128,000

Voyager

Length: 1020 Feet

Guests: 3114

Tons: 138,000

CCL is dreaming calling the dream larger...its a ski boat shorter and 10Tons less displacement....that is more displacement tham the majority of the watercraft out there (note not cruise ships)...

Besides I would rather be on Voyager anyhow...

I went to the Carnival website and looked up the stats on the Ecstasy. It's 70,000 tons and carries 2052 passengers. The Voyager is 138 tons and carries 3114 of we loyal RCI cruisers! (Bad sentence but oh, well.) I would guess that several factors went into the decision to drop Progreso as a port. 1) Unlighted pier, 2) narrow port, 3) fuel costs. Since we live in San Antonio, it's nice to be able to drive to Galveston without the hassle of security at airports plus the added cost. We really enjoyed going to a new port on the Western Caribbean itinerary and would like to make a 2nd visit to Progreso/Merida as we really had a good time in Merida.

I went to the Carnival website and looked up the stats on the Ecstasy. It's 70,000 tons and carries 2052 passengers. The Voyager is 138 tons and carries 3114 of we loyal RCI cruisers! (Bad sentence but oh, well.) I would guess that several factors went into the decision to drop Progreso as a port. 1) Unlighted pier, 2) narrow port, 3) fuel costs. Since we live in San Antonio, it's nice to be able to drive to Galveston without the hassle of security at airports plus the added cost. We really enjoyed going to a new port on the Western Caribbean itinerary and would like to make a 2nd visit to Progreso/Merida as we really had a good time in Merida.

We've been on the Ecstasy many times and have also enjoyed our visits to Progreso. From that port, we have been to Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Dzbilchitun, and Merida. We love the fact that it is still the real Mexico experience. It hasn't been as commercialized as other ports in Mexico. We also enjoy cruising on the Ecstasy. It is a smaller ship and is easy to navigate. I actually prefer the smaller ships. I have, though, been on the Voyager and thought it was a beautiful ship!:)

Archived