Denied Passprt

Cre

I had a friend who was denied one for the same reason. Don't assume the op is in the wrong. Child support issues aren't always the fault of one parent. My friends ex was using the money for drugs. So he stopped sending it. Just go with BC and Dl. You will be fine.

Candei

That is interesting in April to Mexico I was also concerned about my pasport. It is expiring within 5 months of the date we cruise. Anyone have a similar issue although I understand to Mexico all that is needed is a valid Birth cert and pictured Id.

I have my passport. It's my boyfriend that doesn't have one. To be

completly honest I was unaware of the issue until the passport was denied. The child is almost 30 now so I thought nothing of it. I guess you never know. I am in complete favor of the issue being resolved.

Passports are not required on cruises departing from and returning to the same US Port. Those are called closed-loop cruises and are granted an exception from the passport requirements, even in the FINAL rules issued for post-June 2009. It doesn't matter where the cruise goes, as long as it leaves from and returns to the same US port. Gov't-issued photo ID, such as D/L and proof of citizenship, such as certified B/C, are sufficient.

Like others have said, it will be fine traveling with a B/C and DL. The cruiseline has to turn in the passenger manifest one hour before the ship sails. The names are vetted by Homeland Security. As long as he does not have an outstanding warrent for the unpaid child support, he should be okay.

Dave

As long as he isn't on a watchlist of any kind, he should be fine. However, being denied a passport due to child support issues means he's on somebody's list somewhere.

Personally, I think he should be prepared for denied boarding. Not that it would happen; only that it could happen.

Would be better if he resolved the issues....but I guess he already knows that.

I am suppose to be one the recieving end of the child support my ex didn't pay:mad: . In the courts up here they issue a garnishee order to garnish anything from your income tax return to your canadian pensions when you reach 65.That said my worker at mainantence enforcement put it to me this way when I inquired about my ex playing games with the kids money. "your kids are your kids no matter how old YOU are not how old they are." In other words the garnishee order which will effect passport and cross border trip until the balance owed is paid in full. Just a different note.my Dh now did a step parent adoption two years ago( the kids are now legally his)my ex still has over 10,000 owing so he will never get a passport or get across the border unless he sneaks.

My suggestion ...pay off the arrears ASAP

completly honest I was unaware of the issue until the passport was denied. The child is almost 30 now so I thought nothing of it. I guess you never know. I am in complete favor of the issue being resolved.

This should be a simple (Well maybe not:rolleyes: ) fix.. With the youngin being almost 30, all he should have to do to get the ban lifted is petition the court and have the C/S issue closed. If it is due to back child support payments, he will have to address that as well.. If the EX is around and is willing to sign off on it, all should be good.. Good luck..

Keep pressing the issue. He will eventually get a passport. My father was denied one, he was born at home not in a hospital (it was the 1920's) and just had to do a little more work to get it approved. I also had a friend get one after jumping thru hoops for 2 years. He is an American citizen, but was born in Panama (kind of like our republican nominee). If you are persistant and clear up all court issues, your boyfriend will eventually get one.

I have the same issue. I have a passport but my boyfriend can not get one because of past child support. His children are also older. He has had one child since he was 16 and the Mom had the other. He never went back to court to offset the child support for the one child she dropped on his doorstep. I was there so I know. The money is still being taken from his paycheck each week but it is alot of back support and I think it has to be below $2,500. in arrears before they will let you have a passport. We just got back from cruise to Cozumel and he went with state ID and birth certificate. No problems!

Is there a staute of limitations on back child support? As others have noted, if the ex will sign off that she no longer wants/needs the money (given that the child is now 30 and hopefully self sufficient) he will be cleared. Just to be on the safe side, I would call Carnival or your TA (whichever you booked with) and get them to research this for you. As another noted, clearly, he is on someone's list somewhere and it might be better for you to know up front if he is going to be denied boarding than to get to the pier and be surprised. Man, would that suck. That is just what I would do, it's your call what you end up doing.

Is there a staute of limitations on back child support? As others have noted, if the ex will sign off that she no longer wants/needs the money (given that the child is now 30 and hopefully self sufficient) he will be cleared. Just to be on the safe side, I would call Carnival or your TA (whichever you booked with) and get them to research this for you. As another noted, clearly, he is on someone's list somewhere and it might be better for you to know up front if he is going to be denied boarding than to get to the pier and be surprised. Man, would that suck. That is just what I would do, it's your call what you end up doing.

Honestly though,,,if my ex owed me money from 30 years ago, and wanted me to sign off on it so he could go on a cruise??? Well, I'm a nice person, but I think I'd look at him like he'd lost his mind and had better go out and find it,,,,

And I'd be giving him a piece of my mind,,,,,He can afford a cruise, but not to pay me what he owes me??? Ummmm that's asking me to be a little TOO nice,,,

sorry,,,might get flamed for that, but its the way I feel,,,,,

Holly

Hold on, getting my popcorn now.

OK, let's proceed. I foresee this one getting deleted in about an hour.

Well, if my watch is correct, it has been more than one hour. Perhaps you should change popcorn brands.

I have the same issue. I have a passport but my boyfriend can not get one because of past child support. His children are also older. He has had one child since he was 16 and the Mom had the other. He never went back to court to offset the child support for the one child she dropped on his doorstep. I was there so I know. The money is still being taken from his paycheck each week but it is alot of back support and I think it has to be below $2,500. in arrears before they will let you have a passport. We just got back from cruise to Cozumel and he went with state ID and birth certificate. No problems!

Your boyfriend is paying, her boyfriend is not

I'd worry that there might be an arrest warrant on him for back child support.

If that is the case he will get on the ship but the law will be there to take him off.

I had a friend who was denied one for the same reason. Don't assume the op is in the wrong. Child support issues aren't always the fault of one parent. My friends ex was using the money for drugs. So he stopped sending it. Just go with BC and Dl. You will be fine.

Candei

That is no reason not to "support" your child. It is a great reason to go back to court and get cutody of your child though. What the custodial parent uses the money for as long as the child is being taken care of is no ones business but the custodial parent.

That being said, I am a single Mother who raised a wonderful child with not one dime of child support.

Honestly though,,,if my ex owed me money from 30 years ago, and wanted me to sign off on it so he could go on a cruise??? Well, I'm a nice person, but I think I'd look at him like he'd lost his mind and had better go out and find it,,,,

And I'd be giving him a piece of my mind,,,,,He can afford a cruise, but not to pay me what he owes me??? Ummmm that's asking me to be a little TOO nice,,,

sorry,,,might get flamed for that, but its the way I feel,,,,,

Holly

My thoughts exactly. I know we should forgive but... these kids have more than likely been deprived, at least at some part of their lives. If he is arrears for child support he is probably in arrears for other things.

My thoughts exactly. I know we should forgive but... these kids have more than likely been deprived, at least at some part of their lives. If he is arrears for child support he is probably in arrears for other things.

well,,,IMO, forgiveness doesnt mean we have to FORGET what's owed,,,he should at LEAST make arrangements to pay it!!! I mean, I know it's probably not possible to pay it all at once,,,but even a hundred a month, it will eventually be taken care of,,

Is there a way that he could make a signed agreement to pay a hundred or two every month before sailing and THEN she would sign something??? Is that possible, or would the signing "off" on it negate the amount owed? I would be hesitant to sign off on such a large amount,,,

My Dad owed my mom THOUSANDS,,,and they eventually came to an agreement that he would pay her HALF and she would sign off on the rest (it was better than nothing, she thought), so I know these arrangements are possible,,,,

Holly

To the OP, your boyfriend needs to get this taken care of. Either by paying off the amount owed and/or going to court and getting it released.

The laws on child support vary by state, so I would be cautious about getting advice on these boards about it. Getting advice from someone in Texas about Oklahoma child support laws (for example) could lead to a lot of trouble.

Also, just because the child has reached 30 years old does not necessarily mean that the duty to pay the arrearages will go away.

To the OP, your boyfriend needs to get this taken care of. Either by paying off the amount owed and/or going to court and getting it released.

The laws on child support vary by state, so I would be cautious about getting advice on these boards about it. Getting advice from someone in Texas about Oklahoma child support laws (for example) could lead to a lot of trouble.

Also, just because the child has reached 30 years old does not necessarily mean that the duty to pay the arrearages will go away.

How right you are,,,a lawyer in the state in which he lives who specializes in family law is needed,,,,ASAP,,,Holly

Archived