dressing for pacific west coast cruise

shabal57

First time going on a pacific west coast cruisel. Leaving next May from LA going to Vancouver. Stops in Santa Barbar, SF, Astoria, Oregon, Victoria and Vancouver. I know the weather will probably be cool and rainy as we go further north.

I'm definintely a jeans person. Do most people on these cruises wear jeans during the day and what about evening? Of course on the formal nights I will dress appropriately, but just wondering about the other days and/or nights.

Thanks.

Jeans during the day will be fine, just not for dinner in the dining room. Have fun!
Actually many of the cruise lines do allow jeans in the dinning room for dinner ...

http://cnd-cruiseblogger.blogspot.com/2007/08/from-ready-to-wear-department.html

• Azamara - no jeans
  • Carnival - jeans are ok but not encouraged
  • Celebrity - no jeans
  • Costa - jeans are ok except on formal nights
  • Crystal - jeans ok on casual nights, not formal or informal nights
  • Cunard - no jeans
  • Disney - jeans ok except on formal and certain theme nights and never ok in Palo's
  • Holland America - jeans are ok except on formal nights
  • MSC Cruises - no jeans
  • Norwegian Cruise Line - jeans are ok
  • Princess - jeans are ok except on formal nights
  • Royal Caribbean - jeans are ok except on formal nights
  • Seabourn - jeans are ok except on formal nights
  • Silversea - jeans are ok except on formal nights

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=545

Wonder how many formal evenings there will be? There is only one sea day and 1 departure at 4 pm and another at 5pm. Rest are 10pm.

First time going on a pacific west coast cruisel. Leaving next May from LA going to Vancouver. Stops in Santa Barbar, SF, Astoria, Oregon, Victoria and Vancouver. I know the weather will probably be cool and rainy as we go further north.

Thanks.

it is likely to be warm in Santa Barbara--though it could also be foggy. it is just as likely to be sunny and 70 degrees in Seattle or Vancouver--or it could be cool. may is not particularly rainy in the northwest--though you should always be prepared--it snowed in June last year!! (once in a lifetime event).

san francisco tends to be 60-70 in may--though we may get an early foggy day.

dress in layers and you will be fine.

• 5 months later...

We will also be on that cruise, and wearing jeans. You may also want to check one of the 10 weather forecasts, just before you leave for some of the ports to get an idea of what may be in store. Have a great trip!

We did a similar cruise last year and are doing one in May of this year. Once north of San Francisco you can expect some rough seas with cool and damp weather. However, you may be pleasantly surprised with some good weather in both Victoria and Vancouver....I hope.:)

You might be surprised on the weather.......

Sometimes May can be delightful in the Pacific Northwest.:)

But not always......:eek:

If I were you, I would go to www.weather.com and check the weather for those cities and dates this year. That will give you a pretty good idea of what it will be like next year. You can ask for a 10 day forecast, starting a few days before the date you would be in a city, and that will give you a good range and general idea of what next year will be like.

Have fun!

we ll also be sailing in May out of Seattle..a place we ve never been..

been trying to study past weather condition s at the various ports..

during May the weather is usually moderate in our area of calif.., SF

bay area..but, as you move north the temperature cool s and the possibility of rain increase s..

if you look back to last may, 08..there was a heat wave in calif..

so you can be moving into extremes..

this upcoming cruise will be a change for us..normally we head for

warmer climates..and this time we ll be going to a area where the

area were the weather is cooler..and a greater possibility of rain..:confused:

Going in that direction is a smoother sailing because the ship is going with the currents and wind. September is great weather in SF and the entire coast from SF to LA is also warm. I don't know much about weather in Oregon and Washington. We have done B2B -- YVR / SF / SF/ Mex Riviera / SF. Getting back to SF from Mex Riviera was a bit choppy.

Ok, what is the prognosis for weather on the other leg of this trip going Vancouver to LA in late September? Oh and sea conditions.

Ok, what is the prognosis for weather on the other leg of this trip going Vancouver to LA in late September? Oh and sea conditions.

You never know. I've done the route 3x. Once was rough, and twice it was smooth. If I could predict weather 6 months ahead, I'd be rich!!!

My DH and I were on the Millennium 14 day Vancouver to San Diego (via Alaska) last year in late September. weather was great - until we left Seattle heading to San Francisco!! We had a sea day and had 16 to 18 ft. seas!! We were rockin & rollin :eek:. Sooo, it can be rough down the coast that time of year. By the time we got closer to San Francisco, (we could see a very, very tiny golden gate bridge) the next day, it was very calm. So it seems it was just the Wash./Oregon coast!

Happy Cruising

Melody:D

Archived