Worst Seas I Ever Encountered

Joecadd

Oh Jeez I would never make my husband read this thread, he's petrified of cruising and gets sea sick very easily that's why I picked San Juan to leave out of in February hope it will be calm waters for his sake!!! I would love to leave out of bayonne which wouldn't require flying but it seems I always read about bad weather from there UGHH!!! :mad:

We were on the Brilliance inaugural transatlantic in 2002. It was my husband's first cruise and quite memorable.

We had 40-45 foot seas for almost 3 days. It was unbelievable. The winds were over 90mph, too. Everything was closed off and you could not go outside unless it was your own balcony. Even then, it wasn't a good idea and we were strongly advised NOT to do so.

One evening and night, it was particularly horrible with many back-2-back 45 footers hitting us one right after the other. It is a strange feeling to be walking and then your feet totally lose contact with the floor. You really couldn't hold on to the bed, either. It was like the worst roller coaster ride ever! (but I thought it was fun and didn't get sick at all)

Capt James MacDonald kept us well informed at all times. He really did his best with multiple course changes. Hurricane Gustav was determined to get us.

I will always remember the sounds of the ship groaning during that cruise.

We were on the same crossing and remember it well.

That is NOT my idea of a good vacation! Our 1st cruise was very rough, and going up and down steps was a real feat! At least the outside decks weren't closed--the seas were rough, but the weather was ok.

No, a bad weather cruise is NOT for me!

Uhh. All this talk of rough seas. We are headed out on the Voyager of the Seas from Barcelona to Galveston next month and are hoping for relatively smooth waters.

Has anyone been on that sailing before (in November/December)? What should I expect?

Thanks

We have made a crossing from Barcelona to Miami at this time of the year and the seas were as smooth as the screen on your computer. However you must remember November is the last month of Hurricane season. The chances of one forming this late into the season aren’t to great. But if one did form during the time you are crossing, the ship will alter course to avoid as much of the bad weather as possible.

We left on a cruise on Explorer last winter. We had great weather leaving NJ. When we got east of Florida where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean Sea, we encountered a low press system.

We realized we would never book an aft cabin on the Explorer again because the rough seas had us rocking and rolling on the back of the ship. Worst of all was the steel on the back of the ship that kept rattling with all the wind. I noticed the newer Voyager class ships like Mariner no longer have the decorative steel bars on the back of their ships like Explorer.

I've heard that anyone prone to seasickness should book the lowest deck interior cabin to avoid alot of motion. We had some rough seas sailing from Hawaii to Ensenada, Mexico and were glad we booked the interior cabin on the lowest deck available.

We left on a cruise on Explorer last winter. We had great weather leaving NJ. When we got east of Florida where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean Sea, we encountered a low press system.

We realized we would never book an aft cabin on the Explorer again because the rough seas had us rocking and rolling on the back of the ship. Worst of all was the steel on the back of the ship that kept rattling with all the wind. I noticed the newer Voyager class ships like Mariner no longer have the decorative steel bars on the back of their ships like Explorer.

I've heard that anyone prone to seasickness should book the lowest deck interior cabin to avoid alot of motion. We had some rough seas sailing from Hawaii to Ensenada, Mexico and were glad we booked the interior cabin on the lowest deck available.

WOW! Those pictures were insane!! I looks like the waves broke a window in one of the lower-deck outside cabins :eek: I'm so very glad I wasn't on that voyage (if she even had passengers as you said she was on her way to be stretched)

We were on the Legend a couple of years ago, doing a transatlantic and when we had just entered the Bay of Biscay and it got really rough. We were eating in the Windjammer and plates were flying all over the place, the ship was just rolling and heavily moving up and down, on minute you could see the sky, the next the ocean! At the theatre that night, people kept getting up and leaving--during the show, I guess they got sick, by the end of it, there was hardly no one left! Surprisingly, I didn't get seasick....but the ship sure was quite that night, I think a lot of people went to their cabins and stayed there!

What a ride. I'm going around the horn in January on Mariner. My TA said to ride low in the ship for that leg. Said the Mariner has a "flat bottom" and will probably be rough. Kind of exciting, but after looking at the photos-YIPES-might be lots of dramamine. Zu~:eek:

my bf and i were on this cruise on 9/20. we had one really rough night which didn't let up until around lunch time the next day. rthere were barf bags by the stairs. i had to look twice to see what they were. they got on the speaker system and warned the ladies not to wear high heels that evening. i never heard that before.

We have made a crossing from Barcelona to Miami at this time of the year and the seas were as smooth as the screen on your computer. However you must remember November is the last month of Hurricane season. The chances of one forming this late into the season aren’t to great. But if one did form during the time you are crossing, the ship will alter course to avoid as much of the bad weather as possible.

Thank you. I had looked into the typical hurricane season and thought this sailing would be the safest of the ones available (as far as potential hurricanes) but I am well aware that mother nature often has different ideas.

Thanks for the info.

What a ride. I'm going around the horn in January on Mariner. My TA said to ride low in the ship for that leg. Said the Mariner has a "flat bottom" and will probably be rough. Kind of exciting, but after looking at the photos-YIPES-might be lots of dramamine. Zu~:eek:

don't know about the flat bottom of the Mariner, but it CAN be rough coming back to LA from the Mex. Riv. I have experienced it, not too bad, but bad if you are prone to sea-sickness I guess .....

On the last day of the trip I took my father in law on a bridge tour and we spoke to great lengths with the 2nd officer of the ship. He did tell us that this was the worst he had seen on a voyager class ship hahaha.

How were you able to snag a bridge tour?????????

I would have loved it. The rougher the seas the better for me. :D

I am with you. I love the rough seas especially at night. We just finished our Alaska cruise and had the calmest seas ever. The cruise was great, but I sure missed the motion.

Jan

Going from Boston to Bermuda on the Jewel. We had 30'+ waves & winds reaching 108 mph. About 70% of the ship was sick including the staff. It was a blast. It would pick me up from the couch & put me on the floor. Have a great pick of the spray covering the bridge. My only regret is not going out on deck to feel the wind.:eek:

Originally Posted by Parkay viewpost.gif

I would have loved it. The rougher the seas the better for me.

I am with you. I love the rough seas especially at night. We just finished our Alaska cruise and had the calmest seas ever. The cruise was great, but I sure missed the motion.

Jan

I agree. Our first cruise -Explorer -we had really high seas and wind heading out due to one hurricane, (missed St. Thomas) and had to outrun another on the way home. Great for sleeping, hard to walk, but dining room was not crowded.

Babynurse, was your cruise on the Dolphin back in 1987 by chance? That was our 1st cruise & there was a tropical depression in the gulf of mexico... my husband had a ball with the ship going up & down...I was on the floor of the cabin.. felt to much motion to even be on the bed... wasn't sure if I ever wanted to step foot on a ship again..but he talked me into another cruise & we had a fine time...

My wife and I were on this cruise as well. The seas and weather were awful on the way down to Bermuda. The rough seas began about an hour after we left port and did not end until we reached Bermuda. Once in Bermuda, the weather was terrific with the exception of a quick shower on the second day. All in all, a great cruise. Definitely the roughest cruise we have ever been on. We did see one person vomit all over the floor while getting Ben and Jerry's on the promenade.

:eek: This thread has made me nervous...What months are "typically" known for rougher seas, are some worse than others? I know you cannot predict the weather but seeing the pictures here...OH my!! :eek: We are cruising in January, and living in Florida I know hurricane season is supposed to be over in November so I am hoping after that they ocean will be somewhat calmer?

:eek: This thread has made me nervous...What months are "typically" known for rougher seas, are some worse than others? I know you cannot predict the weather but seeing the pictures here...OH my!! :eek: We are cruising in January, and living in Florida I know hurricane season is supposed to be over in November so I am hoping after that they ocean will be somewhat calmer?

You never really know when you can encounter rough seas. Obviously, Hurricane season is always risky. I sailed out of Florida once and the seas were like glass if that makes you feel any better. The seas always seem a little rough going from the New York/New Jersey area down to the Caribbean.

Uhh. All this talk of rough seas. We are headed out on the Voyager of the Seas from Barcelona to Galveston next month and are hoping for relatively smooth waters.

Has anyone been on that sailing before (in November/December)? What should I expect?

Thanks

Jolene, you are on our roll call please come back and talk. Don't worry I am sure we will have smooth seas.:)

don't know about the flat bottom of the Mariner, but it CAN be rough coming back to LA from the Mex. Riv. I have experienced it, not too bad, but bad if you are prone to sea-sickness I guess .....

Almost all new ships have flat bottoms, that is how they get into the shallow ports. The QM II and perhaps some of the much older ships are exceptions. Chances are if you are on a newer cruise ship you are on one with a flat bottom. Older ships like the Norway, QEII had V hulls designed to cut through the swells.

Archived