Anyone taken a Bike on a Cruise

J&KCruisers

Has anyone every taken their road bike on a cruise with them to ride through the ports?? If yes, did Princess make any accomodations for holding the bike or would they allow you to keep it in the stateroom??

I am a pretty avid cyclist and think it would be a tremendous way to see the ports.

Has anyone every taken their road bike on a cruise with them to ride through the ports?? If yes, did Princess make any accomodations for holding the bike or would they allow you to keep it in the stateroom??

I am a pretty avid cyclist and think it would be a tremendous way to see the ports.

I would call Princess on this one. In 21 Princess sailing, I have never seen any passenger bring a bike onboard for use in the ports.

What a great idea. I have never seen a passenger with a bike, but I have seen crew members take bikes off the ship for a ride so there must be some kind of storage for bikes on the ship. As Toto said, call the cruise line and ask. I wonder why cruise ship don't carry a number of bikes for rentals. Probably has something to do with lack of storage and/or insurance coverage.

I've never seen a bicycle on a cruise, but I think it's a great idea. People bring those electric scooters on cruises, so they shouldn't discriminate against bikes. ;) As far as storing them in your cabin, I bring along a wheelchair for my wife and I store that in our cabin so a bike shouldn't take up anymore room than a wheelchair. Go for it, but to be on the safe side, call the cruise line or have your TA (if you have one) call to find out for you.

:rolleyes:

I have been wondering the same thing and I believe it is going to be something that we are going to see a lot more of as the bicycle boom grows around the planet.

Some River Cruises already carry bicycles:

http://www.rivercruisetours.com/ships/msamalegro.htm

But I guess river cruises would be more easily adaptable to their use than large cruise ships that normally dock at congested ports.

It would also depend on where you are cruising. The Pacific Islands I think are especially suitable for a bicycle. But at many places you can hire a bicycle right on the dock just like you can a car. We recently did this in French Polynesia and biked all the way around the Island of Bora Bora which was a great way to see the Island. So I think that we are going to see a lot more bike hire places at the docks when we disembark (rather than cruise ships carrying them or catering for them).

But I am sure that carrying your own is possible and cruise ships will accommodate.

As some-one said above you can always put it under the bed in your cabin. The only negative to this is that if cruise lines encourage bikes on board they will be losing passengers on their revenue producing coach tours.

our friends from our roll call on the Emerald last Jan brought his bike. He had no problems at all, It was delivered to his room. He stored it easily in the closet area. On port days he was out early and even took it on the tenders. He encountered no problems at all. In fact it was fun checking out the port pictures of him with his bike.

he biked in St. Kitts, St. Lucia and somewhere else that I can't remember.

On our cruise on the Star in 2007 we dined with a couple and their 10 year old daughter who had brought on their bikes (they had the folding type.) They had a mini suite and kept them in their room. However, they did mention that the year before they had done one of the European cruises on Princess and the ship stored the bikes for them.

My husband is an avid biker so I am used to his bike in hotel rooms etc.

Lenore

Some freinds brought bikes on the Dawn out of SF...they drove to port..They just walked the bikes on at check in. They had a suite or mini and kept the bikes on the balcony. They brought some inexpensive drop cloths to cover them. The only problem encountered was some tools in the gear bag on one of the bikes were taken by security but once back in SF they we were returned which was nice...

They had a great time riding about I don't think any of the ports were they biked were tender ports. This was at least 3 years ago

Archived