Porters bringing on your sodas/water

Cricket63

Not personally, but it has been mentioned quite frequently on these boards. The only time I took soda on board, we put it in a spare suitcase (two 12 packs) that we brought along just in case my son's girlfriend hadn't been able to find a suitcase at her house (she lives 2 hrs away, so we flew out of the airport closer to her house).

Thanks for the response. We usually do the 2 12 packs in a small roll around suitcase too(use the empty suitcase for all the goodies we purchase) I tried doing a lookup, but no luck. Things change all the time, so hopefully someone who has recently gone will comment.

Thanks again!

No problems on RCCL either. You can put in a soft sided duffel bag or suitcase if makes you feel more comfy - just put a luggage tag on it.

Has anybody ever put a tag(room number/name) on there sodas/water and had the porters put them on the ship. If so, how did it go, any problems? Carnival is the cruise line.

Thanks

There are a lot of post regarding taking soda on board.why ?

how much do you save ? because of its weight you will feel guilty and tip the taxi driver and porter more.When home do you take soda to the movies, sports events, theatre, dinners,cafes,or resturants.Do you take your soda into the cruise bar and dinning room and ask your waitor to take the top off.

A can of soda is only $2.20 you must have money to be on a cruise ship

so whats the big deal about saving money on soda.if it was a bottle of Scotch or Wine I say yes a big saving. soda no.

If you want to save money on soda do it this way. if you cruise the Med a soda in most European cities could cost between $5 to $7.

When going on your cruise ship tours or walking ashore take the sodas out of the mini bar ask your steward for some ice put these in your cooler bag and this will save you money plus something to drink on the bus.enjoy your cruise forget the penny pinching and enjoy. Grumphy

*sigh*

Well, for one - they don't carry the soda I like - AND after 5pm I only drink caffeine free pepsi or I don't sleep - a friend goin with us only drinks diet Dr. Pepper - none of which is available aboard.

how much do you save ? because of its weight you will feel guilty and tip the taxi driver and porter more.

I load my own stuff in a taxi and the porter gets a per bag tip

When home do you take soda to the movies, sports events, theatre, dinners,cafes,or resturants.

Do you live in a movie, sport event, theater, diners, cafe, or restaurant for days on end? a week? Apples and oranges.

Do you take your soda into the cruise bar and dinning room and ask your waitor to take the top off.

No, we'll still spend in bars and dining room. But in-cabin, I'll have my own, and the brand I like, and or a lot less too.

so whats the big deal about saving money on soda.

Well, some of us drink a lot of soda - or there is a big family. I *could* spend enough to get a very large suite - but I choose to spend my money elsewhere. Same principle.

if it was a bottle of Scotch or Wine I say yes a big saving. soda no.

If you want to save money on soda do it this way. if you cruise the Med a soda in most European cities could cost between $5 to $7.

When going on your cruise ship tours or walking ashore take the sodas out of the mini bar ask your steward for some ice put these in your cooler bag and this will save you money plus something to drink on the bus.enjoy your cruise forget the penny pinching and enjoy. Grumphy

I wouldn't pay $5 or $7 for a soda anywhere - for that there better be some booze in it :) Your idea of 'penny pinching' is fiscal responsibility for others - and being thrifty allows them to spend money where they choose - more cruises, bigger, suites, etc.

We like to carry aboard enough Coca Coa Zero for each of us to have one per day in our cabin. On a 2 week cruise that's 2 12 packs at a cost of $3.00 each. 24 delivered by room service would cost $52.32 plus a dollar or two tip per delivery. (on Oceania, others may vary) Sure $65. isn't a LOT of money, but it's still a chunk of change and inconvenient to have to call room service when all you want is a soft drink. We tip by the number of bags we have. What's in them is of no consequence to the porters.

I think he or she is saying that, sure it might make sense if you're leaving from a port in the US, but that soft drinks are much more expensive in other countries. Although we've disembarked in other countries, we've always started out in the US. I doubt that I'd bother purchasing a case of soft drinks if I were embarking in another country. We don't purchase soft drinks at all when we're on land tours in other countries unless we happen to run across some in a gas station or someplace like that. The water is more than expensive enough, and not free in restaurants as it is here.

Has anybody ever put a tag(room number/name) on there sodas/water and had the porters put them on the ship. If so, how did it go, any problems? Carnival is the cruise line.

Thanks

Grumphy...you should read the ORIGINAL post before commenting.

grumphy: Why does it matter to you? Are you harmed by the fact that some people prefer to bring on soda and water (which is allowed)?

There are many reasons why people choose to bring soda: The ship doesn't have what they prefer (and in some cases, what they are allowed to drink); they want the convenience of having it on hand; they want to save money; they drink quite a lot of it and don't want to have to constantly have the mini-bar restocked or call room service or schlep to one of the bars or lounges. Yes, people are allowed to bring their own sodas to dinner, the pool, the theater, etc. I agree that a cruise ship is an apples and oranges comparison to your list. When people stay at resorts (the closest comparison), they often bring soda and water (and even wine/beer and other alcohol) to consume in their rooms, take to the pool, etc.

If you don't want to bring soda or water onboard, then don't. If others do, that is between them and the cruise lines. The cruise lines say yes.

beachchick

On our NCL Cruise in April,we took 2 cases of water, and 2-12 packs of soda. I wrapped duct tape around them to make them easy to lift, and stuck a luggage tag on the package. We drive to the port, and the porters took the boxes with our luggage, no issues. I also had a box with wine, since NCL lets you bring your own and just pay the corkage. This was no problem either, just put the tag on it. No need for a separate suitcase or duffel.

so whats the big deal about saving money on soda.if it was a bottle of Scotch or Wine I say yes a big saving. soda no.

ONLY $2.20, well LA DEE DAH to you! that is outrageous. No biggie to carry on soda and use the money elsewhere,

maybe you need a nap!:p

Archived