Long Beach - Driving Directions Question

gumballz

I've MapQuested our drive out to Long Beach and I have a question for anyone that knows the Long Beach area well.

We'll be coming from the East on Hwy 60. MapQuest has us going a way that seems like it would take longer...but I'm not sure. Would it be better to take the 22 to the 405 to the 710 or is that taking us far out of the way? I'll post what it says to do from the 10.

1. Merge onto CA-60 W via the exit on the LEFT toward RIVERSIDE.

2. Take the WATKINS DR exit toward CENTRAL AVE.

3. Turn LEFT onto WATKINS DR.

4. WATKINS DR becomes CENTRAL AVE.

5. Turn LEFT onto CHICAGO AVE.

6. Stay STRAIGHT to go onto ARLINGTON AVE.

7. Merge onto CA-91 W via the ramp on the LEFT toward CORONA.

8. Merge onto CA-55 S via EXIT 34 on the LEFT toward NEWPORT BEACH.

9. Merge onto CA-22 W via EXIT 13 toward LONG BEACH.

10. CA-22 W becomes E 7TH ST.

11. Turn LEFT onto ALAMITOS AVE.

12. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto E SHORELINE DR.

13. Turn LEFT onto QUEENSWAY.

14. QUEENSWAY becomes QUEENSWAY BAY.

15. QUEENSWAY BAY becomes QUEENS HWY.

16. End at 1126 Queens Hwy Long Beach, CA 90802-6331

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I wouldn't take 22. From the east, it just peters out to a regular non-freeway street and you would have to take a surface street north to get to 405 or surface streets with a lot of lights to the harbor area. Take either the 91 or the 60 and 57 to the 405 and then take the 710 to Long Beach like this (Google Maps is easier to use as you can drag alternate routes to find the shortest distance very easily):

from the 405:

Take the exit onto I-710 S toward Long Beach

About 9 mins go 7.9 mi

Take the exit toward S Harbor Scenic Dr S

go 0.5 mi,

Slight left at S Harbor Scenic Dr S

About 2 mins, go 1.5 mi

Turn left toward Windsor Way

go 95 ft

Turn right at Windsor Way

About 1 min, go 0.4 mi

Turn left at Queens Hwy

go 0.1 mi

Destination will be on the right

Hi Gumbalz,

There are no tolls on the 91 freeway west of the 55 freeway. The toll roads are located between the 15 and 55 freeways on the 91 freeway, but there are always several non-toll lanes available. It is only during the 6:00am to 9:00am commute time that the toll roads come into play.

Petert

gumballz, Please let us know the day of the week and approximate time you will hit the east side of the LA area so we can answer with the most workable route. The route you mapped is the shortest, but in So Cal the *fastest* route may be very different. For example, steps 7 & 8 are some of the most congested routes in the nation at rush hour...and steps 2-6 are city streets which is unnecessary. It also hits the 60/215/91 interchange, a major construction project (it might be completed already or by the time you travel).

If you're coming from the Phoenix area, I-8 to San Diego then I-5 north is a lot better than I-10 into LA.

The 91 Freeway has toll lanes parallel to the free, main lanes between Corona and Route 55. Toll varies with traffic (demand pricing), and requires an electronic FasTrak transponder.

Our plan is to leave here (Northern AZ) around 7 A.M. this Thursday (October 30th). It takes us about 2+ hours to get down the mountain and to the CA border. We'll be on the 10 at that point. My guess is we'll hit the Moreno Valley/Sunnymead (60) area around noon (give or take). If my guesses are correct, then we'd probably get into Long Beach in the 2:00-3:00 time range. :confused: :confused:

We'd definitely prefer not to hit too much construction....and I know exactly what you mean by 'shortest may not be the fastest'. At this point I'm not 100% sure which way we'll go, so if you have any pointers based on the times I gave you...I'd appreciate it!

Your timing is good, you will miss rush hour traffic. I "third" the 60/57/91/710 suggestion. When 60 meets 57, they are the same piece of concrete for about 3 miles through the city of Diamond Bar. That can be a bit confusing. Then they split apart again. Follow the "57 South- Santa Ana" signs and you will be OK.

If you're in the carpool lane, there is a direct "flyover" connection from the 60 to the 57 and you don't need to cross the regular lanes to change freeways. Same another 10 miles farther on; there is a direct connection from 57 South to 91 West.

Have a great drive and cruise!

If you're in the carpool lane, there is a direct "flyover" connection from the 60 to the 57 and you don't need to cross the regular lanes to change freeways. Same another 10 miles farther on; there is a direct connection from 57 South to 91 West.

Have a great drive and cruise!

Thanks for that tip, Kenish! It was an easy drive and had you not told me about the 'flyover' I wouldn't have been able to read it due to the graffiti on the signs. lol :rolleyes:

Archived