Back from Zenith-23Oct2004 to Bermuda/NE

Vic The Parrot

Embarcation:

I was one of the last people who boarded, so I really can't give any opinions on the embarcation routine. I'm just glad that I made it to the dock right before they were getting ready to pull the gangway. And my bags arrived in my cabin right after the boat drill. What service!

The ship:

Not bad for something built in 1992. All the cabin furnishings were sound, and there weren't any stains anywhere. A few rust spots here and there, but nothing major. Besides, the rust gives it an air of 'ship'. Nicely designed public rooms. Loved the layout of the pax flow .... the many rooms provided an easy flow of people without creating that crowding sensation.

Meals:

What can I say? I was impressed!

Every bite of food was fantastic. From the burger joint to the main dining room, the offerings were just outstanding. I only had breakfast once in the main restaurant, but it was satisfying.

The quality, and taste of the food in Caravelle made me a believer in the lines reputation of consistantly striving to please thier paying customers.

Accomodation:

I occupied a cat 7 cabin on Florida deck, # 4003.

Altho somewhat smallish, the cabin seemed to get bigger with each passing day. My cabin steward was a nice chap, but needs to hone his 'pleasing the passenger' skills a bit.

Besides that, he kept everything in tip-top shape.

I loved the location of the cabin. Way up in the bow, and I felt every wave that hit when we sailed on those rough sea days.

Entertainment:

Didn't bother. I'm not really into shows, but I heard a few acts were worth seeing. The magician they had did a pretty good job. I was often found in the nightclub, or the Fleet bar, making my own entertainment. (right Newt?) :-)

Pax mix:

A good selection of passengers of all ages were represented.

Even a few kids on board, where they were treated to a trick-or-treat outing with the childrens counselor. And there were some other interesting people on board. From the nicest folk one can meet on a ship, to obnoxious boors that give a new meaning to the word rude. In those 9 days, I witnessed an altercation in the nightclub in which a female passenger decked another lady.

The lady was the one who was hit .... the trailer-trash masqerading as an Ivy-League colleagian was far from a lady.

Crew and service:

The ship employs some of the best people in the industry.

Give or take a few of the crew, many were doing a great job bending over backwards to make sure you were comfortable.

Others were the typical "I'll annoy you til you buy a drink"

variety. The sweetest part (and I do mean 'sweet') came on a night when a particular dessert was offered, and I was offered by my waiter to have it again the following night!

So guess what ..... lo and behold, that chocolate mousse cake was in front of me again that night. I need to start looking for

size 36 trousers if they keep insisting on doing this to me!

Pitfalls and praises:

1st, the bad ...... if they have to provide musical entertainment poolside, and in the nightclub, it's not necessary to turn up the amplifier to its maximum output.

The band was great, but there's no reason to play music at 10,000,000 decibels.

Some of the crew need a crash course in being 'people-friendly'.

EG: one of the pool bar waitstaff kept asking if we need a drink.

I finally buckled, and asked for a glass of water which I needed.

The next day, I was greeted by him with a puss on his face.

This dude doesn't deserve tips, he needs a good kick in the pants.

The cruise director (laughingly called the cruise director) was

a joke. The guy was a rude, arrogant oaf who had no idea how to run the entertainment on board. Some of the scheduled activities were cancelled without any notification to the pax.

Granted, the rough seas made it bad those few days, and that's understandable, but he should at least communicate with everyone that there will a suitable substitution later.

Case in point: a fellow passenger was extremely annoyed at the fact that the ship-building contest was canceled. He never got any apology, nor other compensation for his efforts.

The contest was supposed to be held in Newport, the last day of the cruise. It was never noted in the program, so my friend asked at the front desk ..... "it's cancelled" was the reply he got. This guy put his blood and sweat into his project, only to be blown off by Mr Cavanah. T-shirts were awarded afterwards.

2nd, the GOOD!! ...... enjoyed the company of some of the best people on earth. It was fun trying to figure out who was with Cruise Critic, and who was not. Good way to break the ice.

The ports were a nice variety for a cruise in late Oct, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

The atmosphere on board is of grace, and sophistication. Lots of dark woods used in a few spots give the ship an 'ocean liner' feel. I feel the need for those classic wooden deck chairs on the boat deck. A great place to read, and snooze under the lifeboats, watching the sea roll by.

So, on a scale of 1 to 10 ..... I'd rate this as a 9

This was one of the best cruises I've taken, and I have to thank

my new friends who really made this trip! Helen and Matt ... Diane and Ed ... Marylou and Gene .. Steve and mom .. Katy ...

Sandra, Steph, and mom .... Dan and Gail .. Dan and Sam ...

Trevor ... Janet ... Martha ... Drunk Guy (can't recall his name)

and the other CC members who were invisible.

I'm dedicating this review to newtocc, who taught me to forego

all of my principles ......

If anyone has questions, please let me know. I'll be more than happy to share my thoughts. Cheers!

:-D

Great review. I'm getting on mine today. So how the hell did you know who Newt was. Unless everyone was playing a joke on me, up until we were at the Breakers in Newport even Steve said he didn't think Newt was aboard.

Great review. The only thing I could add to it was that the entertainment was really great. The Magician, Singer, Piano Player and Female comedian, plus the Singers and Dancers. I would give all an A+.

The thing that bothered me the most, was the constant asking if you wanted to buy the water. So that lowered the grade for us. I agree it would be a "9".

It was great having lunch with you, and Trivia. You did help at Outburst. Again, sorry we didn't make it to the bar in Bermuda.

Hope some day to meet you on another cruise.

You gave a reallly honest review I like that without all the childish sarcasim. My question is do they have any speciality restaurants or just the main dining rooms?

I'm trying t decide between three cruises to Bermuda- Celebrity Horizon, Zenith or the Norwegien Crown. I just can't make up my mind. If anyone has any suggestions or comments for me please let me know.

Thanks,:cool:

themommy: Glad you had a good cruise!

You gave a reallly honest review I like that without all the childish sarcasim. My question is do they have any speciality restaurants or just the main dining rooms?

I'm trying t decide between three cruises to Bermuda- Celebrity Horizon, Zenith or the Norwegien Crown. I just can't make up my mind. If anyone has any suggestions or comments for me please let me know.

Thanks,:cool:

IIRC, Zenith has casual alternative dining, but no formal alternative, that's only on the M-class ships. I know which of those I'd take, it would be a coin toss between Zenith & Horizon ;)

Vic, thanks I can honestly say this was the best review I ever pretended to read, especially since you mentioned me, even though I only pretended to cruise on this ship!

First off, my critique (sp?) of your review:

The drunk guys name was Joe, aka: marble mouth, you forgot to mention the other 15 to 20 people, including some of the crew, that joined us nightly to close every lounge on the ship!

Other than that, I think you may be right, although I don't really remember!

Personally, I don't really care about the finer points of the cruise, I never try to nit pic, I don't look for frayed rugs or free drugs, but I digress. The food was great, the staff was wonderful, with the exception of the CD, I didn't like the guy either. He did his job, he did the same old tired jokes, but one on one, the guy had no personality, I should know, I have many!

A cruise to me is meeting lots of new friends, interacting with people and having a great time, I met hundreds of people, they'll remember me, and I'll remember them, I just forgot there names!

I'll add this cruise to one of my best, and Vic, I'll add you to my list of one of the nicest people I ever met!

Best of luck and happy cruising my friend!

Vic, great review! It really brings back memories, I still haven't caught up on all the sleep I lost on the Zenith! It was great becoming friends with all those people, and then some. That's one reason why I like a small ship. There's more closeness between the pax, it almost feels like everyone on the ship is a friend.

It was great meeting, and hanging with you all night, maybe we'll do it again, that would be so cool!

Vic, thanks for your review. We've done Bermuda 2x on Zenith and loved it. I just returned from a HAL cruise and was sorry I wasn't on the Zenith again. After 14 cruises with Celebrity, I think Zenith and Century are my favorite ships.

Thanks, Vic, for a comprehensive review.

And thanks for mentioning the noise:

"1st, the bad ...... if they have to provide musical entertainment poolside, and in the nightclub, it's not necessary to turn up the amplifier to its maximum output.

The band was great, but there's no reason to play music at 10,000,000 decibels."

Nick Weir, CD on the Galaxy, made sure there was noise in every nook and cranny of the ship. He was from the "if loud is good, then loudest is better."

We hope this is not the beginning of a trend on Celebrity.

Thanks again for your review.

Since the Zenith and the Horizon are NOT outsourced to HIGHSEAS computing services, are the internet connect fees still at 50 cents per minute or have they raised it to 75 cents per minute?

(Note: They were 50 cents per minute in January 2004. )

Archived