Sovereign Review 4/9-12/04

Barva

Here's another positive Sovereign Review! Dh and I went just before Flaboy - 4/9-12/04 - the 3-day over Easter Weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We had been on the SS over Christmas and were glad to be back. And - we did get to go to CocoCay on Easter Sunday.

We got onboard about 2pm Fri. Had a few Yellowbirds (by the way, thanks to Parrothead8 for the recipe!). Lunch at the Windjammer was terrific (the green beans/peppers and the tilapia were especially tasty dishes). We had been up since 2:15 a.m. so we wandered our way back to the cabin and crashed for a bit. We were up for Sailaway and then off to dinner at Main Seating. Our waiter was Francisco and asst. waitress, Maria. The service was okay on Friday night. It was the Venetian Feast. We both had the lamb and it was terrific. We were at the table with 3 semi-retired couples who were traveling together. Several of them had the shrimp scampi. It was funny. Once I asked Francisco to show the ladies how to cut the shrimp out of the shell, he jumped into action! It was a lot of fun to watch him showing off. We also found that the more we asked of him, the more his service improved. He and Maria had seemed just so busy and preoccupied on Fri. night. Over the weekend, they simply got better and better. We only ate in the dining room (Kismet) at dinner. We have no complaints about the food or the company at the table. The escargot were divine as always.

One of our tablemates had special dietary requests. They were slow to deliver her request on Friday night but Francisco and Maria were right on the money for her (and us) Sat. and Sun. For 2 of the couples at our table, this was their first cruise. It was fun to watch their reactions to details we had taken for granted. We did get to chat with Mahrus, who had been our waiter at Christmas. He actually remembered us once we mentioned our son who had stayed home this cruise. It is nice to see familiar faces. The dining room staff on the Sovereign is so good and so nice.

Our cabin (8044) was more comfortable for 2 than our Christmas cabin (8506) for 3 but the cabins though small (exact same size) are just fine. The room was clean and in good shape. Our room steward, Rhonda, did a fine job. We got towel animals on Sat and Sun. The room was done during breakfast on Sat. On Sun while we were at Coco Cay, someone flipped the "Needs Cleaning" card in the door over to do not disturb. When we got back to the cabin, it had not been touched. Rhonda stopped by right after that and touched base with us. She had questioned the do not disturb but honored it. She said that it was not a problem and gave our cabin a good cleaning with fresh towels during turndown service. She was very friendly and always addressed me by name, even calling out from another cabin to say hello. We were very pleased with the cabin and Rhonda.

Breakfast in the Windjammer is always decent. My only complaint was that the water tasted more like grapefruit juice than plain water. We only had the one lunch at the Windjammer.

Shore excursions: On Sat. in Nassau, we had prebooked online a snorkel tour with Stuart Cove's. We met their bus over at the fountain across from the pier. We had the ride from hell to get there. Stuart Cove is across Grand Bahama Island. We had to stop at several hotels to pick up others and ran behind a bit. To make up this time, the driver took far too many chances, passing on corners and in front of other cars, and going way too fast. Needless to say, we complained and he didn't get a tip. But once we got there, we had a wonderful time. Stuart Cove's is a big dive/snorkel operation with quite a few boats and lots of staff. We had a ball. We were taken to 3 different snorkel spots. It was a beautiful day and the water was warm. The fish were plentiful over the reefs. At the 3rd stop, they placed a chum bucket overboard about 40 ft down. We went down on a rope and got to watch 20-30 sharks feeding! It was AWESOME!!!

We thoroughly enjoyed our excursion. They have a nice gift shop and good selection fof t-shirts. The trip back to the pier was much more sedate and we were back on the boat by 5:30 with plenty of time to get ready for Formal Night. Yes, you do have to book it independently but it was a real bargain - $35 a piece. We can't wait to take our 8 y.o. son next Christmas. We had also prebooked the Champagne Sailaway. When we got back to the ship before dinner, we had a note saying that it was cancelled due to underbooking. We were reimbursed but bummed. We wandered around a bit in Nassau after dinner but except for Senor Frog's and a street fair that closed at 10, it was closed down for the evening. We did have fun gawking at a private ship docked at the pier. We met a nice couple from Nebraska strolling on the dock, also gawking. They had 2 high school seniors with them. They were on the Fascination and when they found out that we were on the SS, they peppered us with questions. It seems that they were very disappointed in the Fascination. They were very envious of the Sovereign and our next day's trip to Coco Cay while they were just having a sea day. About that time, the AO pirates paraded on the Promenade Deck and were so cute even from way down on the pier. That seemed to seal it for those poor people. They were just green with envy! We ended up giving them a bunch of email addresses and websites, including CC and then wishing them better luck next time.

On Sun, we woke up at Coco Cay. We had another perfect day weather-wise. Getting a tender was easier than at Christmas. This time, staff was handing out tender tickets on Deck 7. You got your tickets and then waited for the number to be called. We were on the island by 10:30. My dh and I are veteran beachcombers. Put me on a stretch of sand, let me walk, and I am a happy camper. At Christmas, we had just stayed near all of the activities - lunch, snorkeling, sunbathing, Adventure Ocean, the Coco Locos...

Well, this time, we slung our snorkel gear over our shoulders and headed for the nature trail. We followed the signs but somehow stayed on the service road for a long way. Then after a while and lots of chicken sightings (the island has many residents - chickens!), we found ourselves at a tiki hut overlooking a beautiful cove and the ship. After that, we found the trail which was a bit bumpy due to the coral but very secluded and peaceful. After a while we found ourselves at the end of the island at the most peaceful spot in the world - just a lone RCCL lounge chair and the beach. We waded and beachcombed for a bit. It was heavenly. Then we kept walking. Our only disappointment was the bits and pieces of trash in the rocks and on the service road. RCCL should send a cleanup crew out at bit more often. But still, it was heavenly. We ate lunch (good) and then snorkeled. The current was quite strong. It wasn't was much fun as Stuart Cove's but was still ok. We had a Coco Loco and then headed back to the ship.

The theater on the ship was closed due to water damage. The shows were held in the Music Man Lounge. We saw a juggler and a comedian (Kevin Jordan) and enjoyed the shows.

All in all, we had a blast. The ship was in decent condition - some wear and tear visible but not distracting. Our only regret was that we had to leave and come home!

Barbara and Tom

Monarch 02, 03

Enchantment 7/03

Sovereign 12/03, 4/04

Voyager 7/04

Navigator 12/04

Barbara

Monarch 6/02, 4/03

Enchantment 7/03

Sovereign 12/03, 4/04

Voyager to Canada 7/04

Navigator 12/04

I forgot to add one detail (imagine that icon_biggrin.gif). On the second day, after the room had been cleaned, we found our C&A gifts on the newly made bed - no more fanny packs! We got the little RCCL am/fm radios. Very cute.

Barbara

Monarch 6/02, 4/03

Enchantment 7/03

Sovereign 12/03, 4/04

Voyager to Canada 7/04

Navigator 12/04

Great review, Barbara! The sme thing happened on us in early March when we wanted to do the Champaign Sailaway ... We were notified around 6 that evening that due to lack of participation, it was cancelled. That was our anniversary cruise, so we were very disappointed. icon_frown.gif

Did they ever say what had happened to cause the water damage to the show lounge? I hope they have it back in use by next Friday!

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience on this great ship!

OC - From what our tablemates told us (the staff explained it at the first show) that the water damage was due to a broken pipe damaging the stage area. Apprently it looked like Niagara Falls! But they seemed to be working hard to fix as quickly as possible.

Barbara

Thanks for the great review. DH and I will be doing the 3 night in June. It has been four years since our first trip on Sovereign and I am anxious to see how things may have changed.

Sovereign of the Seas 6/00

Fascination 6/01

Fantasy 6/03

Sovereign 6/04

Has anyone been on Soveign of Seas 3 day cruise and did the Dolphin Encounter? You don't arrive till 11 am and leave at 3:30 next morning. Does RC offer this trip on the ship on 3 day cruise? I have been on the 4 day and they offer the Dolphin in the morning only. I can't check because we are not booked yet and would like to make sure they have this before we book.

Cruiser4Life

Cruiser4Life

RC Majesty 10/1999

Pride 2002 "Kirbi and the Cruiser"

RC Grandeur of Seas 12/02

Destiny 01/25/04

RC SOS 02/23/04 Bahama Mama Sister Cruise

Thanks Barva for the Review! My sister and I did the 4 day in Feb 04 and loved the trip.

Ocala Cruiser be sure and post when you get back how the show room is coming along. Hopefully it has been repaired.

We are hoping to book for the end of August but would like to know if we can book Dolphin Entercounter on 3 day trip.

Cruiser4Life

RC Majesty 10/1999

Pride 2002 "Kirbi and the Cruiser"

RC Grandeur of Seas 12/02

Destiny 01/25/04

RC SOS 02/23/04 Bahama Mama Sister Cruise

LKitt - I am sorry that I don't have the answer for the Dolphin Encounter excursion. We never even looked at the shore excursion info because we had already booked what we wanted. Normally, that info is in the RCI documents but we got etickets this time and threw out everything but the first 2 pages when we got home. wish that I could be more helpful.

Thanks to all for the kind words about my review. It is very easy to write good things about the Sovereign! I am envious of all of you who get to go on her so soon. With the way our schedule and finances are, we won't get back to her until next year after her refurb.

Barbara

Monarch 6/02, 4/03

Enchantment 7/03

Sovereign 12/03, 4/04

Voyager to Canada 7/04

Navigator 12/04

Great review. It is hard for us to imagine a bad review on Sovereigns. We consider it our ship but anyone is welcome to sail on it. Barbara and Tom, we were not on that sailing so we can not be blamed for changing your door sign. We only change them from do not disturbe to please clean my room. We were on Norweigen 3/27/04 and disappointed that they have two door signs in your room. It has the same message on both sides. Another good reason to sail Royal Caribbean.

"Baby lets cruise away from here"

Sounds like you had a good time. We are going next week, i hope we have as much fun. I hope the theater is fixed by then. By the way, what was the weather like?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;4;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until our second cruise

Inspiration 5/03

We had great weather most of the time and in port - sunny and '80s and warm water. The following week had storms, cooler, rainy weather and little sun. At this time of the year, it is hit or miss. We did check the weather for Nassau on the web up until departure and it was right on the money.

Hope the sun and calm seas find you!

Barbara

Monarch 6/02, 4/03

Enchantment 7/03

Sovereign 12/03, 4/04

Voyager to Canada 7/04

Navigator 12/04

I'll be on the Sovereign in 5 days! WOO HOO!! icon_biggrin.gif Can you add your tips to your on-board account or must you pay in cash on the last night?

Thanks!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Till the girls sail on the Sovereign!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;7;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Till the Brilliance!

R1 7/2000

Sensation 5/2001

Imagination 8/2002

Veendam 3/2003

Sovereign 4/2004

Brilliance 7/2005

To add your tips to your seapass just go to the pursers desk and fill out the form. When you get the tip envelops you will also receive vouchers to put in them.

Tom Mulligan

Cruise Addict

Monarch of the Seas 6/02

Monarch of the Seas 4/03

Enchantment of the Seas 7/03

Sovereign of the Seas 12/03

Sovereign of the Seas 4/04 *Voyager of the Seas 7/04 *Navigator of the Seas 12/04

And to add your tips,you have to do it the next to last night...........cant wait till the last night..............

Something new and no fanny packs!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifGlad to hear it..........

Yes,you can do the Dolphin Encounter on the 3 nighter...

PS~~~~~~~~You're welcome for the recipe............I have the RCCL drink recipe book if you need any more.. icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;30;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000  RCCL Serenade--5/30--Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  RCCL Jewel--10/28--repositioning

**RCCL SOS-8/27/04** Carnival Miracle-2/13/05**

The movies in Cinema 1 were as follows;

Day one, Secondhand Lions

Day two, The Haunted Mansion

Day three, Mona Lisa Smile

We didn't see any of these, the info is from the daily compasses.

Just to clear things up I'm BarVa's husband.

Tom Mulligan

Cruise Addict

Monarch of the Seas 6/02

Monarch of the Seas 4/03

Enchantment of the Seas 7/03

Sovereign of the Seas 12/03

Sovereign of the Seas 4/04 *Voyager of the Seas 7/04 *Navigator of the Seas 12/04

Wow - wonderful review - you are making it hard for me to wait for 4/30 when we sail this ship!!! Starting to bounce off the walls!

Fantasy 11/91

Ecstasy 1/98

Fascination 11/99

Paradise 2/00

Imagination 4/02

Ecstasy 5/03

Paradise 10/03

Sovereign of the Seas 4/04

ShtUpLstnLearn: Me and KC have been talking on the Meet and Mingle board - feel free to join us. We are going to meet at 3pm in the Mast Lounge and you can also feel free to join us there as well! icon_biggrin.gif

Fantasy 11/91

Ecstasy 1/98

Fascination 11/99

Paradise 2/00

Imagination 4/02

Ecstasy 5/03

Paradise 10/03

Sovereign of the Seas 4/04

DW and I were on the Sovereign last Oct and loved it. One note however regarding the Stuart Cove snorkle trip. You are not supposed to watch the sharks feed at the 3rd stop from the boat, you are supposed to jump into the water with them!

NCL Sea 3/03

RCCL Sovereign 10/03

NCL Dream 3/7/2004

Hi shtuplstnlearn, Gina's right, come on over to our roll call & say Hi. you have an interesting board name, is there a story behind it?

This is great, now there are 4 of us from the board on the 30th sailing. icon_biggrin.gif

Sovereign Again

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;04;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Halloween on the Serenade

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;30;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Thanks for the great review of the SOS. As you can see I love her. Although we really need to expand our horizons, but we get great deals on her. We will be on her for a 4 nighter in Sept. I can't wait. I look forward to hearing how all your cruises went and can't wait to read your reviews.

icon_smile.gif

Soveriegn of the Seas 02

Monarch of the Seas 03

Soveriegn of the Seas 03

Soveriegn of the Seas 04

Archived