Questions re: Serenade S Carib route

Second time on Serenade, first time leaving from San Juan... here's a list of questions:

1. We've been able to board all of the other ships by noon... can we still board that early even though the ship leaves at 10 p.m.?

2. If we can board early, we're thinking of having lunch at the Windjammer, dropping off our carry-ons, and then exploring Old San Juan for a few hours before dinner. Just want to make sure there's an easy way to get back on the ship afterwards and not have to wait with everyone else who is checking-in for the first time.

3. I've reached Platinum status... does San Juan have priority debarkation lounge?

4. We leave St. Lucia at 5:00 p.m. If I remember reading people's reviews correctly, the captain takes the ship close to the Pitons for some fantastic views. We're cruising in the middle of January. Will it be too dark to get good pictures?

5. For those who have done the sky tram to Paradise Point in St. Thomas... is it worth it?

Thanks for any info you might have!

Boarding usually begins at 11:30am in San Juan.

Yes, you can check in, board the ship, and drop off your carryons (once the rooms open at 1pm) and get back off the ship. If you want to explore Old San Juan, you will need to take a taxi ride back and forth as the Pan Am Pier is on the opposite side of the harbor from Old San Juan (about a 10-15 minute taxi ride, about $15 each way).

I don't know if the Serenade is still doing the Piton turn it used to do. I believe it has been eliminated in order to save money but I might be wrong about that.

Second time on Serenade, first time leaving from San Juan... here's a list of questions:

1. We've been able to board all of the other ships by noon... can we still board that early even though the ship leaves at 10 p.m.? We usually are aboard by noon, one year couldn't get on until about 1:00.

2. If we can board early, we're thinking of having lunch at the Windjammer, dropping off our carry-ons, and then exploring Old San Juan for a few hours before dinner. Just want to make sure there's an easy way to get back on the ship afterwards and not have to wait with everyone else who is checking-in for the first time. Yes, you can get back off, and no, you won't have to wait with all the people embarking to get back on, however the rooms usually aren't available to drop your carry-on's off right away.

3. I've reached Platinum status... does San Juan have priority debarkation lounge? Yes.

4. We leave St. Lucia at 5:00 p.m. If I remember reading people's reviews correctly, the captain takes the ship close to the Pitons for some fantastic views. We're cruising in the middle of January. Will it be too dark to get good pictures? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. We've done the Piton Pivot several times, on both Radiance, when she was doing this route, and on Serenade. Last January, however, the captain did not do it. If you do, yes you can get pictures.

5. For those who have done the sky tram to Paradise Point in St. Thomas... is it worth it? Did it once, great view. Wouldn't bother doing it again, though.

Thanks for any info you might have!

Hope I can provide some help with some answers, above. This is our favorite itinerary - we've done it 7 times (4 of those on Serenade). Our favorite excursions are Eli's Eco Tour and Xtreme Circumnav, on Antigua. Lots on the Antigua boards about his tours, his website is www.adventureantigua.com. While we've done lots of stuff on these islands over the years, some of our other favorites have been a daysail onghPockets in St. Thomas, and SilverMoon in Barbados.

We'll be disembarking Celebrity Summit this year the morning you're embarking Serenade, docked right next to you at the Pan Am Pier.

Hi you can board Early in San Juan and eat and then get off the ship

returning is just like any port you have already checked in.

San Juan does have Platinum priority check in

The sky tram is close to the pear and done on your own so you can see if you want to do it

LeRoy

Our favorite excursions are Eli's Eco Tour and Xtreme Circumnav, on Antigua. Lots on the Antigua boards about his tours, his website is www.adventureantigua.com. While we've done lots of stuff on these islands over the years, some of our other favorites have been a daysail onghPockets in St. Thomas, and SilverMoon in Barbados.

We'll be disembarking Celebrity Summit this year the morning you're embarking Serenade, docked right next to you at the Pan Am Pier.

We've booked Eli's Eco Tour also! Heard lots of good reviews of it on the boards. We're doing Cosol's tour in St. Lucia and Small Cats in Barbados.

Hope you enjoy your cruise in January! I've never done the southern route, so I'm really looking forward to it!

And we're boarding Serenade the same day you hop on Summit. Yell if you see a black Stetson over in the Serenade lines. :)

And we're boarding Serenade the same day you hop on Summit. Yell if you see a black Stetson over in the Serenade lines. :)

Hey, Darkwolf, be nice to the Serenade while you're on her and leave her in good shape for us on the 17th! :)

Don't know about re-boarding Serenade. We got on board and stayed. But I do know that although we were already Platinum by the time we got there, there was no time/need to use a seperate lounge. We got to the pier by 10:30. Had to wait outside because doors weren't open yet. When they opened at 11:15, we walked in to a check-in that had no waiting, walked straight onto the ship, and headed to lunch at the WJ.

At St. Thomas, we consider Paradise Point our one must-do! It's still my favorite place in the Caribbean.

At St. Lucia, the Cosol tour is so far our "best day" on all our cruises. An incredible value and a great experience. Cosol knows what he's doing.

There was no Piton pivot in March. We heard it had been eliminated. However, if you take Cosol's tour, you'll spend about 1.5 hr. snorkeling/sunning on a beach resort at the foot of the Pitons. Enjoy!

We will be on the Christmas sailing of the Seranade and was wondering about excursions? We usually find a big hotel and get a day pass and hang out at the beach and have lunch at the pool restaurant and we love doing that,,Does anyone have any suggestions for large hotels in St. Lucia, Antigua and Barbados? I know everyone usually goes to Megans (sp) Bay in St Thomas but i DO NOT like it there at all...small beach, one drink shack and just a small beach so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. WE normally don't do any city tours but we love just finding a fun beach and spending the day....

We were on the Serenade last November and there was no Piton pivot. I don't remember who the captain was but we were told at the C&A reception this was a decision from head office. When we left St. Lucia the ship was travelling really slow and by the time we reached the pitons it was too dark for photos. I recommend Cosol's tour in St. Lucia - you will gets lots of opportunities to see them on his tour (he makes a photo stop and also takes you to a resort for swimming that is located between them).

You are able to leave the Serenade after boarding. We didn't do it but lots of other people did.

We boarded the ship at 1pm and there was no line up. If you are boarding early you probably won't have the need to use the priority lounge.

We took the Serenade on her southern route back in March of 04. Loved it so much we are going again in a few weeks. Beautiful ship. We did the pivot to see the Pitons. The Captain also took us very close to many other islands on the last day of our cruise, the only sea day. It was great. He slowed the ship down and told us what island we were seeing. Montserrett, I know I spelled that wrong, the volcano island was so interesting. The volcano was still spouting lots of sulfur smelling ash. In fact it was on the railings of the ship. The captain gave us a little history of the island and what happened to the town. You could only see a few rooftops. Does anyone know if they still take that route home?

We took the Serenade on her southern route back in March of 04. Loved it so much we are going again in a few weeks. Beautiful ship. We did the pivot to see the Pitons. The Captain also took us very close to many other islands on the last day of our cruise, the only sea day. It was great. He slowed the ship down and told us what island we were seeing. Montserrett, I know I spelled that wrong, the volcano island was so interesting. The volcano was still spouting lots of sulfur smelling ash. In fact it was on the railings of the ship. The captain gave us a little history of the island and what happened to the town. You could only see a few rooftops. Does anyone know if they still take that route home?

Unfortunately I believe that has been dropped as well.

As far as the Piton Pivot...it used to depend on the Captain. Captain Claveau does not do it but Captain Stig does. That may have changed now due to fuel costs though.

Yes, we had Captain Stig. No Piton Pivot. I'm afraid that for now it's gone.

Archived