11/06 NCL Sun to Cayman

Lesley Green

Has anyone else heard this please?
A quick search threw up this local news item:-
The Government announced on Thursday that cruise ships will resume visits to Grand Cayman beginning on Monday, 1 November, 2004.

A maximum of two cruise ships will be permitted in port during the first two weeks of November. The first two weeks will be closely monitored and, upon a satisfactory assessment of the situation and facilities, additional ships will be added as deemed appropriate.

The following schedule of forthcoming cruise ship visits was released by the Port Authority:

Mon, Nov 8 2004: Norwegian Sun

Splendour of the Seas

Good enough? ;) :D

Lucky you - and to be there on an enforced two-ship day, too.

I phoned NCL today and they said as of now they are going to Grand Cayman, (Sun, Nov. 6) however, the person I spoke to didn't sound like she was speaking with a great amount of certainty or interest. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

When I saw Costa Maya, I was ready to cancel and go to Vegas. Then I noticed on their itinieraries (verified through the NCL site under SITE MAP), that there were littel symbols next to only certain cruise dates. The little symbols (meaning PORT CHANGED) were not on anything having to do with Nov, Dec, Jan. THANK GOD. I will not go back to Costa Maya and be happy. What a hole. To say they added it for eco tourism.. there wasn't much ECO. The snorkel "adventure" was just that, but not in a good way. We took a bus to someone's backyard and snorkeled over sea grass and sand. WOOP DE @$^&** DOO. Again, I was happy when my agent AND NCL told me they are back to normal.

BDD

Sorry to hear such disappointment with Costa Maya, while we weren't thrilled with the shopping area, we did enjoy walking to Mahajual ( i am sure it is spelled wrong) along the trail (that they do not want you to find as it cuts into the taxi fares). Although it was hot, the walk along the Ocean was relaxing and the view was good. We found Mahajual to be somewhat rustic, but in a charming kind of way and relaxing in a chair ,drinking cold cerveza under a palm tree for the balance of a day, while observing the cool turquoise water, did my soul good.

As for staying on the ship while in port, we have contemplated it many times and probably will do so in the future. I've never had a bad day on a ship and an uncrowded pool area is especially pleasing.

Archived