hand warmers

jmezmom

We have been to alaska before but didn't take these hand warmers that you drop in your gloves and keep warm for 8-10 hours.

We are going next May and doing a whale watch, river raft and hike trip.

has anyone ever used these things? I found some called little hotties.

Just wondering if they work and if it is necessary!

Thanks

Not sure of that brand name but I have used hand warmers and they do keep you toasty. Actually I will be out there also in May on the Pearl and did not even think of bringing them until you brought them up.

Thanks

I use those disposable hand warmers all winter. To me, they are worth their weight in gold! If I'm doing something that I need to use my hands a LOT, I will often put a warmer in my pocket so it doesn't get crushed, and I can slip my hands into my pockets for a minute to warm up.

We took them for Glacier Bay viewing in May/08, but didn't need them -- the day was VERY pleasant. But I was glad to know we had them. I suspect that as you are from Las Vegas, the extra warmth they provide might be appreciated.

I use those disposable hand warmers all winter. To me, they are worth their weight in gold! If I'm doing something that I need to use my hands a LOT, I will often put a warmer in my pocket so it doesn't get crushed, and I can slip my hands into my pockets for a minute to warm up.

We took them for Glacier Bay viewing in May/08, but didn't need them -- the day was VERY pleasant. But I was glad to know we had them. I suspect that as you are from Las Vegas, the extra warmth they provide might be appreciated.

Yes, we get cold if it hits 74 degrees!

It was beautiful weather when we were there but I heard that whale watching is cold and windy and a river raft trip will most certainly be cold.

They have 20 pair for $20 on ebay including shipping and we will be gone 12 days so that is the right amount we need.

I was just wondering if they really work!

They are great. I farmed for 10 years and loved those handwarmers. I only use them when it is below zero to keep from getting frostbite when I had to work outside all day. So yes the work! I guess if you are from Vegas you might want them for summer time in Alaska, but I wouldn't have though of taking them to Alaska, lol! I know I've found good deals on them before, maybe Campmor or Sierra Trading Post, maybe even REI. Look around a bit before you buy them on ebay, I think they do sell them by the case at Scheels/Cabela's type places.

Those hand warmers did the trick during our time in Glacier Bay and College Fjord. We used the small size and slipped one in each glove. For short stints outside, they were not necessary. But, when you are standing outside in the elements for long stretches while viewing the glaciers, it can get a bit chilly!

Leave the handwarmers at home!!! If you were going to Nome to watch the end of the Iditarod in March then yes you'd need them. Otherwise they will just be taking up space in your luggage that instead could be filled with authentic "Made in China" rubber totem poles that you can purchase by the dozens at Tongass Trading in Ketchikan.

I've lived in Ketchikan for 10 years now and have never needed a hand warmer here. Not even in the depth of winter. When we lived in Fairbanks I used 2 of them in the winter.

if you are doing river rafting you can choose if you want to row or not ... i didn't row and my hands were freezing, I wish i had predicted how cold it was on that excursion ... i have used the little hotties on a previous occassions and felt that they were extremely warm though i do not know if they will last several hours. but the raft excursion is not that long.

• 2 months later...

we've used them and they work and whether or not you need them really depends on where you are from and what type of weather you are used to. We are from the midwest where it is currently 12 below zero on the thermometer outside the kitchen window and I noticed that it was 19 above in Anchorage today. We would not need them and we did the glacier hike,white water rafting and spent all ship time out on deck.

Good idea-I didn't think of bringing them. But, I can tell you this--on our last trip which was in May, whale watching was great, but it was probably the only time I was cold. Wear waterproof jogging pants-layered if you can find them, and a raincoat, with lots of layers underneath, also a hat. Bring the hand warmers--I will on my next trip.

CoffeequeenJ:p

If you bring really warm gloves or mittens you will not need them for most activities. Perhaps they would come in handy for the rafting trips. I packed them and never pulled them out. I am someone who gets cold easily. I wore three layers on my legs. However, one good pair of convertible mittens did the trick for me.

However, one good pair of convertible mittens did the trick for me.

Thats a really good point. If you aren't use to the cold and have no need for your fingers, mittens will keep your fingers much warmer than gloves. Wait another 6 weeks and then find some at the end of ski season.

Another good site for outdoor gear is Sierra Trading Post. Mostly sells seconds, but I love it. We also get all my husband's Carhart there. Poor guy is in 3 layers of Carhart (with a base layer underneath it all) today, since he works outside :(

They are selling cases of these at Costco right now for a good price! I'm guessing Handwarmers will be gone from the store shelves come June, so as with much winter gear, now is a good time to buy. Really though, I still don't think you'll need handwarmers for an Alaskan cruise.

I used a pair of these other day when I was shoveling snow, it was -5 and I was really appreciating them. I won't be taking them to Alaska though.

Archived