First time cruising!!!!! help!!!

inaina

I'm planing to buy a cruise in January from Miami going to Bahamas for 3 or 4 days, to try it...( i sort of worry to be floating on a big ocean )

I'm on a budget, I saw specials for $200 and 300 us? per person, inside cabin.....

Please advise , are these cabins horrible? also which ship should I consider? any suggestion greatly appreciated !:o

On most cruise ships, the inside cabins can be very nice, especially for a first cruise. It is a great way to get an idea of how you like cruising without spending a fortune. Be aware that a cabin advertised for $300 per person is for the cabin ONLY. That price does not include taxes, fees, fuel surcharge, and gratuities. Also, you are responsible for paying seperately for any alcohol or soda you purchase on board. For an advertised rate of $300 per person, you can expect to pay close to $800 total for two people (4 nights) before gratuities (not including any on board purchases), so you may want to budget closer to $1000 in addition to transportation costs to and from the port. I would try an inside cabin and see what you think.

As for a ship recommendation, which cruise line are you planning on sailing?

One thing to make sure of is to only cruise on the major lines if you are looking for a cheap cruise. By that I mean Carnival (although I don't recommend them), RCCL, Princess, Costa, MCL, HAL or Celebrity.

There are several small cruise lines usually with only 1 or 2 ships who do 3 or 4 day cruises from Florida to the Bahamas. The ships are 20 or more years old and will not really give you a valid cruise experience to see if you want to do it again.

We did our first cruise in 1997 with an inside cabin on HAL's old Noordam and have done 16 since. As far as we are concerned it is the best way to travel and see new places and things. You unpack once and your hotel moves around for you.

Inside cabins tend to be smaller and sometimes if you don't like closed in places may not feel comfortable to some people. But they are actually not that much smaller than a regular sized outside cabin. The big difference is a window or porthole. You will get to eat the same food, enjoy the same entertainment, go the same places and have just as much fun as someone staying in the most expensive cabins on the ship.

Give cruising a try but give it a fair try but doing it on one of the main line cruise lines.

Have a great next cruise.

I hope you are going to do more in Florida than just go on a short cruise if you are coming all the way from Canada?? Maybe a cruise from Port Canaveral which is close to Orlando and spend a few days at universal or disney world?

Port Canaveral and Miami would be your two main choices for short cruises. I think a inside cabin on RCL for those short cruises is very very small (majesty's are 119 s.f.). But the ship is very nice if you dont need a big cabin.). I prefer RCL for service and prettier ships, Carnival for food and larger cabins and better beds. Those are your two main choices for Bahamas short cruises. Sometimes, if it doesnt cost much more for a OV on RCL, its worth it, because the window will make the cabin seem larger.

As the other poster said, the price you see is without taxes and fees, and fuel surcharges ($9 pp per day Carnival, $10 pp per day RCL) and tips which usually you dont pay until you are on the ship which run $10 pp per day.

I use a travel agency website to search for cruises. I can't name the agency here - it's against Cruise Critic policy - but I can tell you what I've found. Prices should be very similar no matter who you book with.

There's an *outstanding* deal on Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas, January 8. An inside guarantee (more about that later) and costs $249 each for a 4 day cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Cozumel, Mexico with 2 days at sea. With taxes ($68) and fuel surcharge ($40), that means $357 per person, $714 for the cabin.

Why is this such a good deal?

- Because Navigator is a newer, 5 star ship. There are even cheaper January prices, but usually on old, tired, 3.5 star ships. Navigator is first class cruising!

- Because this is a Caribbean trip, going all the way to Mexico, visiting a very appealing port. Usually these longer hauls are more expensive (because of the cost of fuel). And, while Nassau and/or Freeport are always fun on your first visit, a trip to Cozumel offers a lot more choices of things to do ashore.

- Because this is a *four* day, not a *three* day cruise. Personal cruise "law": unpack first day. Pack last day. With a 3 day cruise, only one day to relax in between. On a 4 day cruise - TWO free days. Therefore, 4 days seems twice as long as a 3 day. Really! Much better deal!

A "guarantee" cabin means you don't pick your cabin - one is assigned, and you won't know what it is until shorily before you sail. Usually, this will be exactly what you booked - an inside. However, a "guarantee" gives you a decent (50/50, about) chance of an upgrade. Although the upgrade might just be to a "better" inside (on a higher deck), you might get for free an obstructed view cabin (natural daylight, but a "view" of only a lifeboat), a real oceanview cabin or (very unlikely, 1 in 100, but it does happen) a balcony.

There are a few really cheap deals of $140 - 160 per person (plus those taxes of around $100 each) for 4 days on Majesty of the Seas, Monarch of the Seas, and Norwegian Sky. I even found a $119 (plus taxes) deal on a 3 day on Norwegian Sky. But, I'd personally rather spend a little extra and get a real "wow" ship.

:confused: Thank you all cruise lovers for the suggestions and tips! I really appreciated you all taking the time......

If you have more advise or suggestions please do !!!!

I will be in Miami Beach during the holidays for 3 weeks and my plan is to try a short cruise ( as I said before I'm a bit worry about being surrounded by water.....

I'm on a beer budget ,with a champagne taste......

So ,should I avoid Carnival cruise?

Some recommended RCL,what RCL stands for? the cruse ling I'm not familiar with...... Thanks and please I love to hear more tips and advise! inaina

:confused: Some recommended RCL,what RCL stands for? the cruse ling I'm not familiar with...... Thanks and please I love to hear more tips and advise! inaina

RCL = Royal Caribbean, they own a couple of more expensive cruiselines, but the Royal Caribbean line is the most reasonable.

A cabin low and midship will have the least motion, if you are worried. Might be a good idea for your first cruise, but a guarantee can often save you money. The lower and more midship, the less you will feel any rocking if the ship hits a storm and waves, but hurricane season will be over, so you will probably have smooth sailing odds are.

:confused: Thank you all cruise lovers for the suggestions and tips! I really appreciated you all taking the time......

If you have more advise or suggestions please do !!!!

I will be in Miami Beach during the holidays for 3 weeks and my plan is to try a short cruise ( as I said before I'm a bit worry about being surrounded by water.....

I'm on a beer budget ,with a champagne taste......

Some recommended RCL,what RCL stands for? the cruse ling I'm not familiar with...... Thanks and please I love to hear more tips and advise! inaina

As suggested by Fann1sh, a 4 night on Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas is a terrific option. The ship is lovely. We were on a 4 night cruise on the Navigator in April -- photos in the photo link below of the ship and port of call. Great option for a first cruise. If you do cruise on RCI (Royal Caribbean) make sure you sign up for their customer loyalty program called the Crown and Anchor Society; once you have completed your first cruise you start receiving benefits on future cruises with RCI.

Kathy:)

Either line will be just fine! They are more similar than different! While an inside cabin is small, they are well-designed for max. storage. Once you are on the ship, you'll forget that you're "floating on the ocean", unless you look out to sea! It's more like a big resort hotel, than a ship!

:confused:

different strokes for different folks. But those 3 day cruises are more party barges then a "real" cruise.

Inside cabins are extremly dark 24 hours a day with no natural light whatsover.

I'm planing to buy a cruise in January from Miami going to Bahamas for 3 or 4 days, to try it...( i sort of worry to be floating on a big ocean )

I'm on a budget, I saw specials for $200 and 300 us? per person, inside cabin.....

Please advise , are these cabins horrible? also which ship should I consider? any suggestion greatly appreciated !:o

Hi inaina,

We are from Australia (with a best friend who is from Toronto, now a Aussie citizen) and we've just returned from a 13 night South Pacific cruise on Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas. We were 2 in a "budget" cabin level 2, inside, N or M class. Previously we were 4 on Pacific Sun in a outside, oceanview cabin, about level 3, and found this was better, even with 4 in 4 single bunks.

So we are not long-time cruisers, but can relate to your concerns.

We found the inside cabin "only-just" comfortable, but a bit tight and too dark and claustrophobic.

Not complaining - for the price, we got what we paid for, and saved about A$ 2,000 as we had 2 cabins.

But we'd never sail inside again. For us, the window and natural light is a must!

For a 3-4 day cruise I guess you'd be OK - unless you get claustrophobic. If it is the smaller cabin, picture a small motel room - about 12 foot by 10 foot with a small toilet/shower/hand basin room about 4 foot x 6 foot, with no opening at all except the aircon for air flow. You cannot tell at any time whether is is light or dark outside etc.

If you get sick in a car or plane, then you might want to take some pills before you board and keep them up - along with alcohol!:D

Or even consider a needle if you get it bad.

Middle of the ship and lower is good for less movement, but stay away from elevators, laundry, etc.

But once you are aboard you'll love it! From what we've seen with Rhapsody, we are thoroughly happy with the standard of the ship and the service.

Have a go - it is a great experience!

Hi inaina,

We are from Australia (with a best friend who is from Toronto, now a Aussie citizen) and we've just returned from a 13 night South Pacific cruise on Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas. We were 2 in a "budget" cabin level 2, inside, N or M class. Previously we were 4 on Pacific Sun in a outside, oceanview cabin, about level 3, and found this was better, even with 4 in 4 single bunks.

So we are not long-time cruisers, but can relate to your concerns.

We found the inside cabin "only-just" comfortable, but a bit tight and too dark and claustrophobic.

Not complaining - for the price, we got what we paid for, and saved about A$ 2,000 as we had 2 cabins.

must!

FBut we'd never sail inside again. For us, the window and natural light is a or a 3-4 day cruise I guess you'd be OK - unless you get claustrophobic. If it is the smaller cabin, picture a small motel room - about 12 foot by 10 foot with a small toilet/shower/hand basin room about 4 foot x 6 foot, with no opening at all except the aircon for air flow. You cannot tell at any time whether is is light or dark outside etc.

If you get sick in a car or plane, then you might want to take some pills before you board and keep them up - along with alcohol!:D

Or even consider a needle if you get it bad.

Middle of the ship and lower is good for less movement, but stay away from elevators, laundry, etc.

But once you are aboard you'll love it! From what we've seen with Rhapsody, we are thoroughly happy with the standard of the ship and the service.

Have a go - it is a great experience!

Thanks for for the advise, yes, it doesn't sound so good to be without natural light. I will take your advise and pay a bit more and have a porthole at least !..... I want it to be a good experience !

I guess.... "you get what you pay....." thanks to all , Ina

While neither this itinerary or ship would be my own choice, the cheapest price I found for an outside cabin (picture window) was Norwegian Sky, 4 days from Miami to Grand Bahama Islands, Nassau, and private island.

On January 12, an outside guarantee (category FF) is priced $162 per person. With taxes this totals $274.40 per person, $548.80 total.

At those prices, it's cheaper to be on the cruise than pay hotel/meals in Florida.

I live full time in an RV, total length 30 ft. I find a cruise cabin quite comfy and the rest room downright roomy.. I know its not like your home, but if you've ever spent time in an RV you will be fine.

Plenty of room for everything.

Most of your time will be spent out of the cabin, anyway.

Inside room = more cruises.... you bet'cha!!!!

I live full time in an RV, total length 30 ft. I find a cruise cabin quite comfy and the rest room downright roomy.. I know its not like your home, but if you've ever spent time in an RV you will be fine.

Plenty of room for everything.

Most of your time will be spent out of the cabin, anyway.

Inside room = more cruises.... you bet'cha!!!!

:cool: Yeeh ! you are funny ,it all make sense! Hey I like to camp...... I used to have a small pop up ....and I really enjoyed I will keep all suggestions in mind , what a great forum!!!!!! thanks:p

Archived