Notes on Star Cruise Oct 21-31 and why I lost my temper.

catmand

Cruise: Star Princess 10 day San Francisco.

/Mexico October 21-31, 2008.

I just lost two hours of info, going to be short here, ask questions please.

Great Cruise. We sailed with eighteen Cruise Critic friends, made the cruise eighteen times better.

We ate in Capri and Portofino dining rooms, Horizon Court buffet, Crown Grill and Sabatini’s.

If there is any thought Princess is cutting back it was not in evidence on this cruise. All the food was very good and the selections plentiful.

MUTS…..loved it. Usually a kids geared selection on around noon. Other features at eight and ten, some repeats, some double features. We found the audio to be non intrusive if sitting as close as the deck 15 overhang. In other words, you could sit in the shade and hardly hear the movie. There was only one music video, a Tina Turner concert. When the selections were not playing, it was QUIET. The evenings had special lounge covers, blankets, popcorn and for a charge, various candy. The features were mostly recent big box office, pay per view and premium (HBO etc) releases.

I saw a post about interactive TV’s. Yes, Celebrity uses them and I sure do think it’s a nice touch. If nothing else I wish Princess would use a different bill posting system. Separate out the “tips” and show our purchases. They are using a system that was archaic five years ago.

BE SURE to get a few copies of you folio during (and before) the end of your cruise. We had three separate billing errors. A double charge in Crown Grill, a margarita (we don’t drink alcohol) and something else for eight bucks and change. Of course you are NOT going to have a receipt for something you DIDN’T get (they asked). The solution is to go to the Purser Desk and watch them look through every receipt for the day and location on the bill. When the DON’T find what you DIDN’T get, they will reverse the charges.

As much as I would like to donate to the cruise industry, fifty five bucks was a little high. In all fairness, the staffs were polite and the charges reversed.

The new Piazza:

Lots of use in the coffee bar and deli area. Morning pastry was same as buffet. Afternoon had salads and sandwiches and of course, fresh cookies. The evenings had different “gourmet” bites like stuffed mushroom caps, little lamb chops etc. Three to a tray, three bucks a tray. Honestly, didn’t see many folks buying things.

The new Vines and artisan meats and sushi areas seemed much too large. A waste of space but then again, I don’t drink, vine.

Internet Cafe and Library are housed in same space. Library is one wall and three chairs. Maybe they have plans to expand these?

During the afternoon they have “street” performers doing short shows in this area. They seem very popular and were always well attended.

I know the elevator marauders are a pretty consistent problem and they were on this cruise. After ten days of getting run into when attempting to leave an elevator, knocked into when walking toward one, sneezed on, subjected to nose blowing and other sorts of personnel invasions, I LOST IT.

I actually yelled at those who had no manners, it was a waste of my breath.

I should mention here, we almost always take the stairs. If this was happening to us, I pity those good folks who HAD to use the lifts.

Pictures to follow, please ask if you have any questions,

Chuck

Santuary.....it does look lovely, great place for a wedding reception.

Michael.....thanks for yours, the first response.

It was a wonderful cruise. Star is as beautiful today as she was when we sailed her five years ago (our first cruise). After some time away it was great getting back to Princess.

Just thinking of things I lost on the first post, they sure do not lack for entertainment. One night there were eight different things to do, or see between eight and eight thirty.

Again, thanks

Thanks for the nice review, catmand.

I am surprised by your comment about Vines:

The new Vines and artisan meats and sushi areas seemed much too large. A waste of space but then again, I don’t drink, vine.

When I saw early photos of the new Piazza, including Vines, I was impressed by the brightness, openness, and spaciouness of the wine/sushi bar. On the Emerald, this area is like a cubby hole - very dark and not particularly inviting. Maybe Princess is still fine-tuning this concept and will eventually get it perfect :)

I'll look forward to seeing your photos. Thanks, again.

Chris

Hi Chuck: My DH and I were one of those 18 Cruise Critic buddies. We absolutely had a wonderful time with them and met some of the nicest people on our roll call too. I agree with Chuck in many of his observations. We had a mini-suite on the Emerald deck E719 and was in a great location. The only sound we heard was when the ship would leave port and the thrusters were being used. It really was not that loud as we knew about that ahead of time. Our room steward was one of the best we have ever had. His name was Theodore and he was always, always, smiling.

The staff in all of our places that Chuck mentioned were curtious and very professional. The Vines really did take up a lot of the Atrium. The International Cafe had some fantastic foods there. The chicken salad, pinini's and the shrimp salad were to die for. Each afternoon a fresly baked dish of cookies came out of the ovens and if you wre there just in time you had a wonderful warm chocolate chip cookie, or maybe two or three.:D

The weather in all of the stops, Cabo, Puerto Vallerta, Zihjuantejo and Acapulco were HOT AND HUMID. There were times it was unbearable but you manage. Smooth sailing going down to the MR and coming back. We did have a wild tender ride in Cabo. In fact that in all my years of being on a tender this one was a rough, rough ride, especialy getting on to the tender and off. Lordy it was close to dangerous but the staff were right there to assist.

Did not attend any entertainment shows; been there done that but the "street" scene at the Atrium was really very good. Always had lots of acts there.

Since we had been to the Mex. Rivera before many times this trip was to be with our cruising buddies, all 18 of us and we sure had a good, good time. If you have any questions we will try to answer them.

Marilyn

Cruise: Star Princess 10 day San Francisco.

/Mexico October 21-31, 2008.

I know the elevator marauders are a pretty consistent problem and they were on this cruise. After ten days of getting run into when attempting to leave an elevator, knocked into when walking toward one, sneezed on, subjected to nose blowing and other sorts of personnel invasions, I LOST IT.

I actually yelled at those who had no manners, it was a waste of my breath.

I should mention here, we almost always take the stairs. If this was happening to us, I pity those good folks who HAD to use the lifts.

Golly Chuck I find it surprising that all the elevator marauders were on the cruise with you since the last time I saw them they were on RCL's LOS with us in August!!!!:eek: :eek:

Sounds like you had a great cruise. Looking forward to the pictures.

Chris, honestly, who am I? I realize Carnival Corp. didn't get where they are with bad decisions. The "Piazza" concept was on other ships and obviously successful. I was just shocked at the small size of the Internet Cafe and Library, just next to Vines. AND< I never saw anyone in there, ever. Are people actually going to buy expensive wine and do dad's? Maybe.

And food?......like the 24/7 food they serve isn't good enough?

I agree, the area LOOKS great, but a little pretensious? maybe.

Hi Marilyn.

You mentioned the tenders in Cabo, thanks for that. It sure WAS a ride.

larsen.....I really wish I could honestly say what those marauders were like and what I thought and WHO they really were. The PC environment prevents me from doing so.

I quoted you and didn't know it while on the cruise, your toilet paper/life analogy........a cruise is the same way, except the paper is thinner (remember the toilet paper thread a while ago?).

...I never saw anyone in there, ever...And food?......like the 24/7 food they serve isn't good enough?

On our Emerald cruise in February, DH and I didn't see many people in Vines, and we were there only a few times for a glass of wine. We're not really into the sushi thing, but I think some folks will appreciate this because the "sushi" that's served in Horizon Court doesn't cut the mustard.

DH and I have cruised on the Star three times, and I guess we'll have to sail her again to appreciate the enhancements ;)

Chris

Thanks fpr the review Chuck.

My folks were on that sailing. My mother had a really good time but thought the ship was too big and crowded. She also said the traditional dining room early seating was very noisy. She said the food was as good as prior Princess cruises. I haven't had a chance to talk to my dad yet. He usually gets around more. He did take the tender E-Ticket ride to Cabo but did OK for a 85 year old man.

Since the library is now so small and Vines so empty, would Vines be a good place to sit and read during sea days?

Jackie

Jackie, Chuck should have some pics of Vines. Unfortunately, there are no comfy chairs, Tables and stools only. It would have been lovely to have a few leather chairs under the windows.

I also have to add that since we do not do formal anymore, we ate in the buffet on the 2 formal nights. They had a huge variety of food and very tasty also.

Wanda (aka Mrs Catmand)

Thanks fpr the review Chuck.

My folks were on that sailing. My mother had a really good time but thought the ship was too big and crowded. She also said the traditional dining room early seating was very noisy. She said the food was as good as prior Princess cruises. I haven't had a chance to talk to my dad yet. He usually gets around more. He did take the tender E-Ticket ride to Cabo but did OK for a 85 year old man.

Since the library is now so small and Vines so empty, would Vines be a good place to sit and read during sea days?

Jackie

I don't know what Vines looks like on this ship, but you sure couldn't read there on the Crown. Very very dark. I also hardly ever saw anyone in there and I was down there a lot getting my fresh brewed coffee several times a day.

Thanks Chuck for you insights. Enjoyed them.

I just remembered another little tidbit of info. Since the Star was one of the ships that always kept your cruise card upon disembarkation I can say that on the Oct. 21st cruise we got to keep the card. I was very much interested in this as a lot of threads about cruise cards being returned to you or taken away and the Star seemed to have a history of this on prior cruises I was really watching what they were going to do. Well, I got to keep the card. It really made no difference to me but I know that a lot of people were interested in that information.

Marilyn

P.S. As Wanda mentioned we also did not do formal nite and the food that were served at the buffet were outstanding. Roast duck, Beef Wellington, a chicken skewed with bacon wrapped around it(delicious) assorted roasts, lamb chops, pork chops Duchess Potatoes and then there wre the desserts. They are really improving on the dinner buffets. Still no lobster but you can still get that in the dining room or it is served at Sabatini's.

Thanks for the review. We are on this sailing on 11/10 and can hardly wait! Does anyone happen to have scans of the patters? Would be great to see what is awaiting us!

need to get away,

We have a great group over on the roll call board sailing with you.

Why not drop by and join us? Star November 10th Roll Call

We've been chatting about this cruise for months and have tons of great information.

Sorry Chuck didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Chuck, I agree with your observations. I was actually pushed by a man approx 25 years my senior, when trying to get off the elevator. He was behind me when we were getting off at our floor. We also had people not letting the exiting folks get off the elevator before they tried to come on. Some people have a sense of entitlement that I just don't understand.

Heard there were only 25 kids on this cruise, barely saw them.

I didn't think the ship felt crowded, except when we were unfortunate enough to get run over from folks exiting the shows. Were the shows really that bad that you have to stampede?

I don't think they did much to the Emerald minisuites during drydock, except new carpets and flatscreens. Maybe the couches? The blue spongy stuff is still on the balcony.

The only show we watched on MUTS was the Tina Turner concert. We watched it from in the pool during a very hot day and it was fantastic. We wanted to go and watch a movie at night, but got too busy.

All in all, a great cruise for us!

Thanks for your post - looking forward to sailing on the Star in Feb!

I'm a little confused about the International Cafe (in Piazza area) -- are there some items that cost & some that don't or is everything at an extra fee?

Thanks!

Great review Chuck. DH and I were 2 of the 18 CC buddies and we had a great time.

Elevator manners were sure lacking. It was frustrating when the elevators were slow anyway to be standing there waiting and have someone come up from behind and push their way on.

Our mini suite, E728, was nice but definately noisier than the same one on Diamond. Club Fusion on Diamond did not bother us but Vista Lounge on Star was a bit louder. Also our air conditioning did not work properly and in Mexico it was too warm. We reported it 3 times and our room steward did also but no one ever came. Luckily we had taken 2 small bedside table fans and that saved us.

We did have the paninis at the International Cafe and it was nice for a light lunch. We also did not do formal nights and were very pleased with the buffet. Crown Grill was very good. We were disappointed in Sabatini's this trip. We also ordered room service one day for lunch and the cheeseburger and club sandwich were quite good. We also went to the tea for the first time and it was delightful. The scones and cream (as well as everything else) were delicious. My DS and GF "borrowed" our balcony for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner the day after we left Acapulco and said it was great. It was only the 2nd one ordered for the whole trip.

Also this was the first time we used the childrens clubs (granddaughter is 5) and it is exceptional. This trip there were only 39 children under 18 and they had the whole place to themselves. She did not want to leave.

MUTS was fun. Very nice sitting out there in the evening watching a movie. It did not bother us during the day at all.

So home now and it is raining. I miss all our friends and our room steward Bryan.

Thanks for your post - looking forward to sailing on the Star in Feb!

I'm a little confused about the International Cafe (in Piazza area) -- are there some items that cost & some that don't or is everything at an extra fee?

Thanks!

All of the salads, pannini's, cookies and most desserts are free. If an item has a fee it is posted on a little sign by the item. Most of the items that were on display are free.

Marilyn

Thanks for the review. We were on the Star in the spring, prior to the renovations and loved her. I am sure she is even better now.

Too many parents today are not teaching their children manners.

The sad thing about that is that it was Sr. Citizens who were the pushiest and I can safely say that because I am a senior citizen and I have never seen such rude people in my life as on the elevators and by the pool area.

On this trip the kids were just fine but there were not very many of them on board. So the problem was senior citizens. Whew.

Marilyn

UNC84.....of course there is a charge for anything alcoholic. There is also a charge for any "special" coffee drinks, ie: Latte, which I drink. I know it's confusing but at the bars (and THE coffee bar) a fresh brewed drip coffee costs a dollar, also tea and hot chocolate. IF you buy a coffee card, which I did $27.50, you get 15 specialty coffee's and unlimited tea, fresh brewed coffee and hot chocolate. All food items during the day are no-charge items.

In the evening they have the sushi, assorted artisan meats, and the "gourmet" type items. There is a charge for all of these.

Oh, and to add to what Marilyn wrote about the cruise cards, get this: NO ONE EVER, ever, ever looked at our passports at disembarkation. We did fill out the US Customs form, that was it. I'd like to know what's different now, since we had spent upwards of two hours doing it before?

We did the express/self carry luggage disembarkation. The whole deal took maybe 10 minutes once that ALWAYS somebody finished eating breakfast and decided to report to customs....(every cruise has one).

To ease some of the confusion I'm going to post a couple of quick pictures in a few minutes.

Chuck

Archived