Hello! New Cruise person with questions.

Freebirdsf61

Hi! They made me feel very welcome on the main board but also referred me here.

We're a San Francisco Gay Hippy Biker couple (47yo and 38yo) that clean up okay and have been looking at discount cruise websites, putting aside cash, and getting passports in order. Carnaval, Norwegian, and Princess so far seem to have fares we can afford for 7 days to Mexico from So Cal. A ship we could board in San Francisco would be better yet. We don't want a Gay Cruise as living in a Gay Mecca is one of the things we need a break from. We don't want to be over run with kids but don't mind children. We just want to really relax. Any suggestions?

Welcome...almost...to crusing.

I can't advise you on Carnival or Princess as DDP and I have only cruised on Celebrity and NCL. While we enjoy Celebrity, we have found we really like freestyle cruising. It's nice to not have set times to go to dinner, etc and given your hippy bikerness I presume you would prefer not to dress up so that is a plus for NCL. We have never had any issues with being a gay couple and NCL has a GLBT gathering each evening - known on all cruise lines as a "friends of Dorthy" party so while I can relate to wanting to get away from the everday life of being in a gay mecca (we used to live in Key West), it is nice to have the opportunity to meet others in our community too.

I have found that the best way to not be overrun with kids is to watch when you are crusing. School holidays are the worse - spring break, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Clay

Welcome Freebirds! As you may know, Carnival and Princess are owned by the same people. The difference is that Princess is supposed to be a little more upscale, which is why its prices are a little higher.

Both the Star Princess and Norwegian Sun do Mexico trips that leave from San Francisco. Many cruise websites (not all) will let you search by departure port, and you can use that to determine when the trips are available. San Francisco is also a departure point for Alaska in the summer months - if you've never been to Alaska, I highly recommend it! Late May or early September are the less-crowded times for Alaska, although it can be a little cooler then weather-wise.

One good thing is that children are often kept very busy during cruises. I occasionally see them at dinner, but more often than not, I forget there are kids on board at all - and I'm sure there always are!

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have. I'm NOT a travel agent (was going to try it but never got started) but I do love planning travel, even if it's for other people, LOL!

Thanks! Will try looking harder for something leaving from San Francisco. I also appreciate the thoughtful responses about children because I don't want to seem like a monster. I even like kids but am just not very used to interacting with them and they tire me out. Thanks for understanding.

The only other thing I would add to the mix is to check the itenerary, too. We went on a Princess cruise of the Mex. Riviera a couple of years ago, and we enjoyed it a lot, but the port times were very limited. We were in Cabo from 8:00 a.m. until 1:30 p.m., so not a lot of time there at all. And we were in P.V. only until 5:30 or 6:00, while NCL and Carnival each stay until 10:00 at night (which can be a great thing in a fun, and gay, town like P.V.). On the other hand, Royal Caribbean will have the Mariner of the Seas doing the Mex. Riviera this winter/spring, and that is a great ship on a fantastic cruise line. In the end, you two will likely have a wonderful time whatever you choose . . . and then you can be hooked on cruising just like the rest of us on this site. :)

Some cruise lines more than others but none of them allow for much time off ship. I'm being fussy now but think it would be cool to stay in one port overnight to have at least a full day and night somewhere but we're very slow moving. Took me over two weeks to move here from NJ in my truck because I stop too much. I'm a healthy guy with AIDS (since 1978 or 1979 they say by symptoms now) living on various generous subsidies and Social Security so time is not an issue. My partner doesn't work either but has a tight steady income. Guess we are a little too accustomed to a leisurely time schedule. The AIDS thing is something I'm mentioning too because I think if the health care situations on board were a problem then somebody here will mention it.

One more doozy of a question for now: What's the situation on smoking medical marijuana on board most ships and in Mexico? I'm documentably legal by California State law and grow my own (selling to other patients is part of my cruise fund) but can survive without it if I must. It would be bizarre to say the least to get busted for smuggling marijuana into Mexico!

And for the record, another reply to my post suggested I might not want to dress for dinner but as a musician I've got more than several black tuxedos, some dinner jacket style, (one cutaway long tail coat from the 20s too but now I'm bragging) so I look forward to eating at least one meal while going formal. A black tux jacket is okay for dinner correct? Or does it have to be white?

Have to stress the advice already received regarding ports/time in each.

Then my adds:

First, scope out the differences in cruise lines: Typical (note I said TYPICAL) target market (Carnival - young party vs. Holland America - Teeth in the glass at 10:30). Then gauge whether you prefer the Freestyle concepts or wish to try traditional dining arrangements.

Then select TIME of year. Pay attention to holiday schedules/school schedules as that will have a HUGE influence on children/Spring Breakers. The weeks after Thanksgiving but before Christmas are great for less kids. March/April/Easter is horrible. Also, pay attention to bank/state/fed holidays that you might not normally think about (Columbus day/Presidents Day/MLK) as those can be weeks that lots of people take off, thus increasing the potential for children.

Finally, take a HARD look at the various ships that ply the Mexican Riv. market. Some are much older, and don't have the most modern features. Princess has (I think) the newest ship regularly on that run, with Carnival (Pride)/Royal (Vision of the Seas) /Norwegian (Star) having at least one ship from 2002/3. Read the boards for those specific lines, and search for topics on the specific ships that you are interested in.

After that, continue to do what you've already started.... Ask questions here. lots of friendly folks are here to offer their opinions and assistance.

Good Luck, hope you have a great first cruise experience.

Can't help on the Med. Mar. issue. I'm not sure how they would handle that.

My honey and I (along with our adopted 12 year old at the time) had a great time on Carnival Pride. Good value for the money. We are were 44 and 45 at the time. (last March)... The 7 day cruise did not seem to party hardy. I do not know anything about Medical M.J. on the ship..

Tom in Long Beach

Just want to relax. I don't know if anybody will be able to answer the medical mj question. I've gotten so used to not having to hide about it anymore that I forget we live in a bubble here in San Francisco. Even my Mom in NJ who always swore to my brother and I that if she found so much as a roach she'd call the cops on us so fast that our heads would spin like Linda Blair's (a popular actress of our day) encourages me to toke up.....outside in the yard.....as long as the neighbors don't notice.

Hey. Thanks for the input. I'm definitely leaning towards a Carnaval 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise outta Long Beach after considering all of the advice here. You people are wonderdul on this site!

• 2 weeks later...

Hola Freebirds,

I am not a cruise expert by any stretch, but thought I would put my dos centavos on the subject. My second cruise was one of the last the old HAL Noordam made...an absolutely great trip on a grand old dame. Even though it was an old ship, it was all good for me! I didn't notice a thing...and would guess that only after we have cruised a while do we appreciate those age differences.

I often reflected that perhaps it was best that I started off early on an old ship...first, because I got to see something of the old class that would never be seen again. Some said I was lucky to sail once with an old broad before taking off with the young chicks! (As if!) And second, if I started off on the best and newest, then I might be disappointed thereafter.

But I have enjoyed my cruises inspite of some noted differences, and don't regret anything. It's attitude...if you plan on enjoying it, I suspect you will. They have to try pretty hard to give you a bad trip.

I live in Baja, so my closest port is San Diego, and I am trying to focus on cruises that depart from here...to avoid spending more on air travel, additional hotels, transfers, parking, etc.

One thing you may wish to consider is to cruise out of and return to US ports so you don't have to go through customs. I don't know what else you will have to do to avoid problems with the grass, but customs is one thing I would avoid for sure. And of course, I would not risk taking it ashore at ports of call. But the only way you are going to be able to deal with it is to ask directly if you don't want to just try to fly under the radar.

I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspected someone was smoking on deck at night on one cruise. I think you would have to be pretty obvious and making them uncomfortable for the crew to take any notice. So just taking your documentation with you, hold very little, that may be the best method...keep it on the qt...and be discrete. (But of course, you must recognize that this may be terrible advice..and might not know for sure until you actually do it!)

Keep asking judicious questions and you will have a great time!

Ken in Rosarito

Sailing in 12 days!

Hey,

I sailed all three of those cruise lines this year, Carnival Freedom, Emerald Princess and NCL Pearl (all new ships) and just repositioned from Alaska to Miami last month doing the ports in Mexico. Based upon what I read above, stick with Carnival or NCL. I also suggest don't ever take pot (even with an R/X) through customs and even worse never ashore in a foreign county. If your detained ashore, the ship sails without you. Also if you stop in Cabo (as an example) you will get hit up on by locals selling everything in the dock area. BEWARE some are cops. I have never smoked anything in my life, but the crew warned everyone going ashore about this. Carnival did the same thing when I was in the Caribbean. Carnival also announced that if you were found on the ship with anything illegal, your off in the next port regardless of where the ship is. If this is your first cruise, remember you go through security with a metal detector on all ships every time you get on and off in each port and anything your carrying goes through the x-ray scanner, just like at an airport. I was even asked once by the x-ray guy, "wow are you going to drink all that Red Bull" he could tell what the cans were in my unopened back-pac.

Guys,

Easy answer to your Medical pot smoking. Get A Balcony, its private outside, and well ventilated. I smoke Cigars which has never been a problem. Friend smokes also, and cigar masks smell. On RC you can smoke cigs etc outside on port side I believe this will not be private enough, though ships are so large that it is easy to find isolated spot especially at night. I still believe that springing for balcony is best bet. just remember not to leave balcony door open, because of smoke and loss of AC.

Good luck.

lance 32

Guys,

Easy answer to your Medical pot smoking. Get A Balcony, its private outside, and well ventilated. I smoke Cigars which has never been a problem.

Not a problem to whom? :eek::)

I have read compliants on CC from passengers adjacent to cigar smokers and they weren't always too happy.

IMO anytime you take pot on a ship or plane you can hit problems, especially when traveling to other countries.

Archived