Open Jaw, Atl to Athens, then Istanbul to Atl ?

cheapest

Good morning,

Welcome to daylight saving time. I have a little more time today since I forgot to reset clock.

My wife and I are taking the NCL,Jade from Athens ending in Istanbul, 29Sept09. We are thinking it may be Delta, since they are the biggie here in Atlanta. But we are wonding if we would do better to book to a major hub, round trip in Eurpoe, and take one ways on some Europe air to , Athens and Istanbul. If we do our on bookings, I figure we will need to pick up our bags and turn back in to the one way airlines. Any thoughts would be helpful, best connections points, best Euro airlines to book, how much time to allow between bookings. Any in and outs. Thanks:)

Quick reply as I'm a bit pressed for time.

Purchasing two tickets has a big downside - baggage weight limits on the second ticket would not be the international piece system allowance, but rather a limited total weight allowance. With heavy charges for overages.

If you are thinking of one of the Euro-discount carriers, their luggage policies are even more restrictive, with even higher overage charges. In addition, you would need to claim and recheck luggage at the "change" point between your two tickets.

Not that it can't be done....just know that it is neither as seamless or as cost-effective as it might seem at first glance.

My suggestion....ask yourself what is really important for your flights. How much "non-stop" do you need/want? How important is it to fly DL? What factors mean the most to you. Then work from there.

Archived