Water Island/Honeymoon beach questions

sheephugs

Since we are docking at Crown Bay, I thought we might try Water Island for the day. I have searched the threads & I've found some conflicting info and was hoping for some answers.

1. Food: It is said that there is no food & you would need to bring a picnic. Another post said there is a food van (Heidis) that comes by at lunch. I also found under the VINOW site a restaurant called Pirate's Ridge, which I couldn't find mentioned on the boards. Which is correct?

2. Restroom facilities: Some say there are none. Others say there is one but only open when the bar is open. Is it a hit or miss with the bar or is it open everyday?

3. Snorkeling: It's rated as fair. Is there any kind of reef or are there rocks? Are the chances really slim of seeing fish?

4. Shade: There seems like there is alot of natural shade. is this correct?

I'm grateful for any help.

Heidi's Grill is a food van and she is usually there everyday for lunch from around noon to 2pm. Other times of the day there isn't any food. There was a pizza boat that would come to the beach and serve pizza but... heard they haven't been there for a few months. Joe's is a beach bar, also on Honeymoon. Joe's during off season is open weekdays at 2pm and weekends at noon. Monday closed during off season. During season open at noon or 11 on weekdays and 11 on weekends. Has frozen drinks, beer, fruit juice, water, some snacks like jerky and chips. Pirates Ridge is a deli/resturant/small grocery store; its not open right now.

There is a restroom on Honeymoon. Its open when Joe's Beach Bar is open.

Snorkeling: If you swim out along the rocks on the left side when facing the water, and out by the point the snorkeling is ok.

Yes there are a lot of coconut palm trees and there are also palm palapas umbrellas.

--Islander

For those wanting to go to Water Island and want food, the ferry leaves from the Crown Bay Marina, and Gourmet Gallery grocery store, and Tickles Dockside Pub are right next to the pier, so you can buy food/drinks there and take to Water Island.

I am just curious how you know where your ship is docking. I am on the NCL Dawn and I know I have docked in both spots - it just states St. Thomas.

Water Island looks great - we are looking for something somewhat off the beaten path but not so much that we run the risk of missing the return ferry.

sassycruiser - NCL ships are usually at the WICO dock in Havensight. The ferry between St. Thomas and Water Island is realiable. Make a note of the ferry return schedule, you can confirm it with the captain on your ride over to Water Island. You can find the schedule at http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=geting+to+water+island&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8.

--Islander

Sassycruiser, go to www.cokibeach.net & to the left is a heading called something like "where your ship will dock". You have to choose either Crown Bay or West Indian. When you click on it, it will bring up another screen & you click to see if your ship docks there. It gives a calendar showing what ships are docked which days. It's also a good way to see how many ships you will be sharing the island with that day.:D

For those wanting to go to Water Island and want food, the ferry leaves from the Crown Bay Marina, and Gourmet Gallery grocery store, and Tickles Dockside Pub are right next to the pier, so you can buy food/drinks there and take to Water Island.

We were there last week on our Princess cruise. This suggestion is a great one. The market has everything and the prices are reasonable. Heidi's van on the beach is very limited and expensive. Grab something before you get on the water taxi.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read that the water island ferry is small & only holds 25 people. I will be docked in Crown Bay on QM2 on a Tues. & was concerned that the ferries don't run that frequently & may be full on the afternoon return trips back to Crown Bay. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

If the Water Island ferry filled and still had people needing transportaion pretty sure they would make another run. Trip takes 10 minutes, so if the same ferry was going to make the run it would be 20 minutes for them to go and come back.

--Islander

Archived