A Couple of Questions

brian_uk

Keep in mind that GrannyLorr's entire philosophy revolves around "I don't follow the rules". If that works for you, so be it.

Yes every cruise is different even within the same line. I did witness on my most recent Seabourn voyage (April 2008) the dress codes being enforced.

I support 100% the position taken by

GRANNYLORR

I do exactly the same in my life with absolutely no apologies.

Quite frankly I do not even see the need for her philosophy to be mentioned to me........why not just say.... I follow the Rules others do not.

Oh well.......

Brian

Well, I didn't mean to offend you... I figured you were planning to wear what you please anyway. Do as you please and enjoy! :D I was just pointing it out for others that might be reading this posting.

Here is the info from Seabourn's website:

Attire for Evening

One of the great pleasures of cruising aboard Seabourn Pride, Spirit and Legend is the glamour of evenings at sea. Guests appreciate the contrast between the special atmosphere of Black Tie Optional evenings, which generally occur one night during a one-week cruise and three to four nights, depending on the itinerary, on a two-week cruise, and the more informal ambiance that prevails on other evenings. The itinerary in your preliminary document packet will inform you of the number of Black Tie Optional evenings to expect during your voyage. Each day in the ship’s program, a dress advisory designates appropriate attire for The Restaurant after 6:00 pm. It will be specified as one of the following:

Black Tie Optional: Tuxedo (alternatively a dark suit) for men, evening gown or other formal attire for women.

Elegant Casual: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men. Sun-dresses, skirts or pants with a sweater or blouse for women.

Casual: Slacks and a sweater or shirt for men, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for women.

2 (evenings in the Veranda Café):

Either Casual: Slacks with sweater or shirt for men; sundress, slacks or skirt and top for women.

Or Elegant Casual: On evenings when The Restaurant suggests Black Tie, 2 will welcome guests in Elegant Casual attire as described above.

Frankly, I don't understand why anyone who so abhors dressing up is even considering Seabourn. It's not the cruise line for you. It's not a matter of following rules or not. It's a matter of fitting in. Sea Dream or Oceania are there for those who prefer casual all the time.

Frankly, I don't understand why anyone who so abhors dressing up is even considering Seabourn. It's not the cruise line for you. It's not a matter of following rules or not. It's a matter of fitting in. Sea Dream or Oceania are there for those who prefer casual all the time.

Frankly I find it very simple to understand...as I said before.....the "dressing up" is just one small aspect of Seabourn....it is NOT everything Seabourn....in a week there are 168 hours (maths isnt my good point but I think thats right).....if there happened to be two Formal nights in a week.....they would take up approx 12 hours......very small percentage of a cruise! Seabourn is much much more than Formal nights!! For some reason some people like to make Seabourn sound extremely snobby....it worried me a bit before our first cruise, but I have been very relieved to find that once on board, the majority are quite normal.....

I have also read on these boards that "jeans are never worn on Seabourn oh shock horror"......yes they are....lots of times....as are lots of things that I wouldnt consider appropriate...but is what someone else wears going to impact on my holiday? :rolleyes:

Of course there is also the problem now of luggage restrictions...those sailing in and out of the USA dont have a problem there....or those who continually do Trans Atlantics only have one flight to worry about......we have TWO long hauls every time with a 30kg restriction in Businesss Class...anyone flying Economy would be lucky to be able to carry their nightwear and toothbrushes!!

I really think there are some people who are starting to panic that their all important Formal clothes might get mothballed in the near future. Isnt there a famous saying something like "Clothes dont maketh the man"?

Brian...my last cruise was a circumnavigation of South America followed by a Trans Atlantic...85 days. First cruise was Oz to Europe...55 days.

Just reread Matts post with the Seabourn Dress Code blurb which states....."one night during a one-week cruise "....so cut the 12 hours of formal that I said, down to 6 hours...........

I also dont think anyone mentioned insisting on dining in the Restaurant in casual clothes on Formal night! We will either dine in "2" or in our suite with a course by course dinner....which I have already stated previously! So can you please inform me how this is going to effect anyone else???

GrannyLorr,

i agree completely that one can avoid the formal nights if one doesn't like to dress up. It is, as you say, only a very small amount of time compared to the rest of the cruise. What I was saying, and I guess it didn't come across right, is that I don't understand why people choose a line that has formal nights, then complain about it. If it's that important choose a line that doesn't have them or don't complain.

I would actually love to try Oceania, they are who we were booked with for our first cruise But they couldnt give us the suite we wanted for the B to B's, so we changed to Seabourn! Now I read that Oceania wont accept booking from Australians using the discount online TA's....we have to deal with Aussie TA's and pay twice as much as anyone else :(.....no thanks....looks like you are just stuck with us at Seabourn!! :D:D

Frankly I find it very simple to understand...as I said before.....the "dressing up" is just one small aspect of Seabourn....it is NOT everything Seabourn....in a week there are 168 hours (maths isnt my good point but I think thats right).....if there happened to be two Formal nights in a week.....they would take up approx 12 hours......very small percentage of a cruise! Seabourn is much much more than Formal nights!! For some reason some people like to make Seabourn sound extremely snobby....it worried me a bit before our first cruise, but I have been very relieved to find that once on board, the majority are quite normal.....

I have also read on these boards that "jeans are never worn on Seabourn oh shock horror"......yes they are....lots of times....as are lots of things that I wouldnt consider appropriate...but is what someone else wears going to impact on my holiday? :rolleyes:

Of course there is also the problem now of luggage restrictions...those sailing in and out of the USA dont have a problem there....or those who continually do Trans Atlantics only have one flight to worry about......we have TWO long hauls every time with a 30kg restriction in Businesss Class...anyone flying Economy would be lucky to be able to carry their nightwear and toothbrushes!!

I really think there are some people who are starting to panic that their all important Formal clothes might get mothballed in the near future. Isnt there a famous saying something like "Clothes dont maketh the man"?

Brian...my last cruise was a circumnavigation of South America followed by a Trans Atlantic...85 days. First cruise was Oz to Europe...55 days.

Agree with much of what you say but sorry it`s "Clothes maketh the man" Hamlet I believe. ie. appearances count. :)

I think many posters on this board do Seabourn a disservice (and likely discourage many potential cruisers) by focussing so heavily on dress codes, appearance, parties and the like. That is not what a Seabourn cruise is like and the staff and crew show extreme common sense about such superficial things as how a guest is dressed. They are in the hospitality business and would not be successful if they treated their customers the way some posters would ("If you can't dress like we tell you to go find another cruise line!"). Granny is telling it like it is.

You're both wrong. The quote belong(eth) to Mark Twain.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

Shakespeare in his 1603 play Hamlet has Polonius saying to his son Laertes "For the apparel oft proclaims the man" ie. We are may be judged by our appearance. As Shakespeare often used earlier writer`s ideas as a basis for his plays he also was used by many to create their own books and plays and who used his quotations to their advantage. ;)

well looks like Granny has to go re read Shakespeare AND Mark Twain!! :eek: Whom ever it was, I still think they got it wrong........they ~meant~ to say "clothes DONT maketh the man"....you know how things were in those days....words got left out...meanings got changed.....:rolleyes:

Cruiseguy I agree with you...there are a few in here who would completely turn potential passengers away from Seabourn by their attitude. Yes there are some snobs on the ships....but the majority are quite normal, its not hard to avoid the PITA's :D

I think it's time for Jane to go back to camp!

How right you are! When I was little and went to summer camp (at which time my parents promptly boarded SS France) my uncle would sigh wistfully and remark that he wished someone would send him back to camp. I needed to grow up to understand him.

HOw nice to have the two travelogues to enjoy and reminisce.

How could I, oft described on the Oceania board as a PITA, know that what I thought was a simple question would descend into quotes from Shakespear.

The answer seems to be that if I dress like Hamlet that would NOT be acceptable even though his clothes were well fitting

Since us Brits invented the Black Tie arrangement for State Functions I think I as a loyal subject of the Crown have a perfect right to abolish it.

Henceforth Black Tie is no longer required.....HM Prince Brian

Bye for now

Brian

Archived