A Couple of Questions

brian_uk

My last 4 cruises were on Oceania and Azamara and were enjoyed thoroughly.

My principle reason for choosing those lines were the Country Club casual dress code and

the fact that dining was at a time chosen by us.

Does the same apply on Seabourne.

Brian

On Seabourn, it is open seating, so you can dine when and with whom you wish. Caribbean sailings are more casual that Med sailings. If you want to do CC casual for the whole cruise, you can opt to dine at the alternative restaurant "2" on formal and informal evenings. (Caribbean sailings do not have a formal night). Hope this helps!

Host Dan

At the risk of starting a thread that runs and runs, I have just received tickets for our upcoming Caribbean sailing and they indicate 2 (optional) formal nights. Our experience is that most go for formal when it is designated - even in the Caribbean.

Having sailed with Oceania last summer in the Med, I did consider it more informal in the main restaurant than Seabourn.

However, Seabourn guests are a relaxed lot and CC casual is not far away from reality.

While enjoying Oceania a great deal, Seabourn is another experience in the art of pampering.

At the risk of starting a thread that runs and runs, I have just received tickets for our upcoming Caribbean sailing and they indicate 2 (optional) formal nights. Our experience is that most go for formal when it is designated - even in the Caribbean.

Having sailed with Oceania last summer in the Med, I did consider it more informal in the main restaurant than Seabourn.

However, Seabourn guests are a relaxed lot and CC casual is not far away from reality.

While enjoying Oceania a great deal, Seabourn is another experience in the art of pampering.

When is your sailing? I was informed "no formal" for our 14 day next month!

Host Dan

If you want to do CC casual for the whole cruise, you can opt to dine at the alternative restaurant "2" on formal and informal evenings.

Keep in mind that this code still requires a jacket in Restaurant "2" on formal nights.

(this was the case on the Legend April crossing)

We are on the Pride Dec 6th sailing,

" there are no balck tie (optional) evenings on this voyage"

is quoted in the itinerary, the dress codes are casual or elegant casual for me that suggests a linen suit will be perfect

We are actually looking at a Med Cruise next July.

As long as I have an alternative on "formal nights" then Seabourne may be a great option for us. The reason we are looking elsewhere is that both O and Az cruise the same old routes and we have been there and done that.

Brian

Keep in mind that this code still requires a jacket in Restaurant "2" on formal nights.

(this was the case on the Legend April crossing)

True Matt,

I guess the alternative is to have course by course dinner in the suite!

Host Dan

Hi Host Dan,

I knew this would run and run!

We are on the Novemer 11 sailing and page 5 of our ticket book gives our itinerary page, and I quote:

'Evenings with Black Tie (Otional) attire suggested: 2'

Anyone else on this voyage know something different.

Baz-t

Hi Host Dan,

I knew this would run and run!

We are on the Novemer 11 sailing and page 5 of our ticket book gives our itinerary page, and I quote:

'Evenings with Black Tie (Otional) attire suggested: 2'

Anyone else on this voyage know something different.

Baz-t

Mystery solved...

Here is a quote from a trusted Seabourn Exec-

"There are no more formal nights on seven-day Caribbean cruises--even if they are combined into a 14-day combo. The Holiday voyage are the exceptions, in keeping with the more gala atmosphere."

I believe your cruise is an 11 day, so it doesn't fit inot the 7 day category...

Host Dan

Oh boy am I ever more confused.

Seems like I need Black pj's for formal nights, a linen suit at the Pool and if I dine course by course I should change between each !!

Maybe I will ask Mr Obama to make this his first issue to sort out.

Brian

I absolutely love it! And I agree ----- this is all very confusing! We are leaving in 6 days for our cruise in the Middle East and we are trying to sort and re-sort to meet luggage requirements.

I love to dress up and would gladly carry everything I own that looks good on me if only I did not have to pay for it! Guys have it easy as far as I am concerned - a tux and a jacket and it's all done! What about the "fairer sex"?

The fairer sex.......??

My problem is that I do NOT want to take a tux or suit or jacket on a Med holiday in the height of Summer.....

I prefer a cool linen shirt and pants......so much more relaxing.

Brian

Brian I agree:D however you will need a jacket if you want to eat out of the suite on Formal night;)

It is not too bad to be honest as the air con works well, the rest of the time on board is no where near as dressy as sometimes posted. It is becoming less and less formal and more smart casual for the majority of nights.

deb

The fairer sex.......??

My problem is that I do NOT want to take a tux or suit or jacket on a Med holiday in the height of Summer.....

I prefer a cool linen shirt and pants......so much more relaxing.

Brian

Brian,I think Oceania is definately the right line for you.

An Evening Jacket is just as comfortable to wear on an air conditioned ship as any other form of dress,unless it does not fit properly.There are plenty of evenings to wear different types of attire to enjoy the whole Seabourn experience.This clothes issue is a real topic of conversation,but I find that if you abide by the cruise lines dress code you will always be ok.On Oceania ofcourse we would not take an evening suit nor would we when we sail with Seadream on Cunard we tend to be even more formal.The cool Linen shirt and pants look is fine when boarding or for a deck barbeque.I know the packing and travelling is a pain but it is worth it when you feel good in that bespoke suit that fits well.

Brian-Here's what's always worked for me on Seabourn. Tux for Formal Nights (leave it at home if you don't intend to dine in the Restaurant on Formal Nights); lightweight blue blazer, light wool slacks and a RL Polo shirt for "jacket" nights; ditch the blazer for casual; deck bar-b-que anything goes although they like to call it "casual." I've seen the all-day Sky Bar crowd head for the tables still dressed in their "sun wear" at these events. Nobody cares--everyone is having fun.

Regrettably the overwhelming opinion here is that a Tux or Jacket is required on Seabourne especially in the Med. Apparently in the Caribbean the same rules may not apply....a starnge one really.

Its a really strange thing when I pose these questions on various threads, generally about Dress Codes, that there are so many people adamant that to look good you must wear Black Tie (and that it must be well fitting) or a Jacket in various fabrics.

I appreciate that it may suit some people but I just cant be bothered.

I just wonder in these tough times whether the Cruise Lines will have to start relaxing these old fashioned requirements in order to attract a clientele like me.

And yes I would agree that Oceania or Azamara is better "suited" to me at this time because of the dress codes but why should I not be able to enjoy Seabourne like " the toffs ".

Please accept this in the merry spirit it is intended and not as a bitter reaction.

I wish you all Bon Voyage

Brian

Brian,you raise a good point about the dress code and I honestly think that the lines will not change too much from what they do at present.Seabourn are trying various things like relaxing the dress code on some carribean trips and we will see if it is what Seabourn sailors want ultimately.We are lucky that we have such a range to choose from, all good for somebodys needs and price range and taste.I must say that if you wear a suit make sure that it fits,it's a bit like the cruise lines.Make sure that the line that you sail fits you.

Brian I agree:D however you will need a jacket if you want to eat out of the suite on Formal night;)

It is not too bad to be honest as the air con works well, the rest of the time on board is no where near as dressy as sometimes posted. It is becoming less and less formal and more smart casual for the majority of nights.

deb

I would go for smart/casual for all nights other than first and last. My wife might disagree. ;)

Make sure that the line that you sail fits you.

Seabourn "fits" me perfectly...and I still dont intend taking any formal clothes on the next cruise! :rolleyes: From our first Seabourn cruise in 2006, till our last one in 2008, the dress code HAS changed.....it is much more casual now. "Formal dining" is only a small part of a Seabourn cruise.(a couple of hours a week??) ....so I choose just to miss that part. There is a small faction in here who seem to believe that Seabourn means Formal........when I say small faction, I counted them one day....something like 10 or so....there are 200 on the ships.....ask the majority what they choose!

I believe Steve writing his review on the Spirit is still to make it to a Formal night and he has completed one full cruise?

You are "supposed" to wear a jacket to The Veranda on formal night, but not everyone does. We went to a birthday celebration there one night, and the birthday boy said "its MY birthday, and Im not wearing a jacket"...so neither did any of the guests........we werent thrown out......;)

I have also just sailed on RCI......some of the clothing worn on formal night, far outdid anything Ive seen worn on Seabourn, then again the entire cruise was much more casual.......but it "didnt fit" me!! :eek:

GrannyLorr

How helpful your response is.............where was your last Cruise on Seabourne ? Clearly the region makes a difference.

I also agree that a minority swamp these boards with their opinions and of course these are always right !! It is the same on other Lines on CC..

I just will NOT take a jacket on a Summer cruise or for that matter to any hotel in Europe. If one is required, like at many hotels in Italy, I just go elsewhere.

Brian

Archived