Upgrade?

Scorpiorose

Ok, finally got the cabin assignment.......I booked VA-VF guaranteed, which I understand could have put me in a VD with an obstructed view......I ended up on the VA7131 on the Oosterdam.

I guess that's not exactly an upgrade, but I didn't end up with an obstructed view.....good right???:confused:

Oh, well I guess that is what I did.

I remember that she said at least I'd get a balcony with an obstruction, and I was prepared for that, now it looks like I got a VA balcony, no obstruction. Good to know that is an Upgrade. :D

Does a VA cost more generally than a VF?

Usually so, yes :) Balcony cabins starts out at VF and go all the way to VA, wait, I think the top of the category is technically V. But VF to VA is good - I suspect (and could be wrong) you have a nice, unobstructed, midship location :)

ETA: depending on the ship, there may be a VH category as well - I'm not sure if HAL recognizes a "V" category - I know some online TAs do

Well it's unobstructed, I looked the deck plans up, it's a bit more towards the end of the ship but that's ok, cabins above and cabins below, elevator close but not too close so I'm happy.

I was just wondering if we would have paid more for a VA than what we paid for the VF.

Do you know.......is there a non smoking side of the ship?

It really depends. Every so often, based on how the categories are selling, you may see a higher level category selling for less than a lower level category. Looking at the HAL site can be especially fun - I remember once seeing a lower level category - maybe H or I - selling for 45,000 or some odd number like that. I know with Princess every so often you will see a minisuite selling for less than a balcony cabin - it's all supply and demand. A lot of time the lower levels in the categories are sold at a lower price, but only as a guarantee. You pay less, but you're at the cruise line's mercy as to where you end up. Of course, sometimes people who book those lower level guarantees, end up at the top of the category :)

Do you know.......is there a non smoking side of the ship?

No...And it was a MAJOR issue with us. We got hammered with a professional smoking husband (cigar) & wife (cigarettes) team in the veranda next (upwind) to us. They were out there constantly and kept us from enjoying our veranda. As I wrote in my review earlier HAL is starting to realize they might just have a problem with smokers vs non-smokers. At the "end of cruise" survey they have added an additonal sheet of questions dealing with the smoking issue. One can only hope changes are "in the wind" ......so to speak.

Sorry 'bout the rant--sore subject with me

I've never heard of a VF-VA guarantee....if you booked a VF guarantee and got a VA, that's really good - you went to the top of your class so to speak :)

I just got my room assigned for the Oostersam on 22 Nov. From the chart I am literally right next to the elevators in the middle of the ship.

Does anybody know how noisy this room will be?

BTW - who do I contact to have the two twin beds converted into a single?

Basically going from a VF to a VA means your cabin will be on a different deck or in a different area of the deck. The cabin will be just the same as a VF cabin, just in a different spot than the VF cabins are. Most times the new cabin will be better or neutral, but sometimes it's under the dancefloor or by the crew galley or something noisy. I think some balconies vary in size but the VD cabins have the largest balconies of the V level cabins. It's an upgrade by ship standards and you will most likely be in a more desirable area of the ship.

Ok, finally got the cabin assignment.......I booked VA-VF guaranteed, which I understand could have put me in a VD with an obstructed view......I ended up on the VA7131 on the Oosterdam.

No, there are no obstructed Vx cabins on any Vista ships, unless you consider the steel-wall railing VF and VH cabins as obstructed. We were in VA7124 on the Noordam and liked the location very much.
Usually so, yes :) Balcony cabins starts out at VF and go all the way to VA, wait, I think the top of the category is technically V. But VF to VA is good - I suspect (and could be wrong) you have a nice, unobstructed, midship location :)

ETA: depending on the ship, there may be a VH category as well - I'm not sure if HAL recognizes a "V" category - I know some online TAs do

All Vistas and the Eurodam have four VHs. Only the Eurodam has a simple V (no 2nd letter).

I was just wondering if we would have paid more for a VA than what we paid for the VF.
Yes.

BTW - who do I contact to have the two twin beds converted into a single?
Your steward. Most likely you will find it set up as a queen bed.

Oh, well I guess that is what I did.

balcony with an obstruction, and I was prepared for that, now it looks like I got a VA balcony, no obstruction. Good to know that is an Upgrade.

Does a VA cost more generally than a VF?

For your info...and others also. Oosterdam "V" cabins are the same as ...for example, the Noordam. Top "V" is VA...then goes down,VB,VC,VD,VE,VFand VH. All prices shown except VH, which is always N/A. If you booked VF-Guar you have quite an upgrade. VF would have put you on Verandah Deck. You are now on Rotterdam Deck, therefore moved up two decks. Your room is located right at the stern of the ship, starboard side, beside SB suite 7133, 56 ft from the stern. You may have a larger verandah than most?? not sure...but the view will be quite nice if you enjoy the ship's wake. Price difference from VF to Va approx $200/$250.pp depending on which cruise for 2008. Hope this helps!

Your room is located right at the stern of the ship, starboard side, beside SB suite 7133, 56 ft from the stern. You may have a larger verandah than most?? not sure...but the view will be quite nice if you enjoy the ship's wake.
On the Oosterdam VA7131 is between VA7127 and VA7135. (7133 is an inside J) It has no larger balcony than any other side VAs, and they will see just the outer edge of the wake! :rolleyes:

Your room is located right at the stern of the ship, starboard side, beside SB suite 7133, 56 ft from the stern.

Hope this helps!

Throw out the deck plans you were looking at. They are obsolete since the refit in Apr of this year.

Throw out the deck plans you were looking at. They are obsolete since the refit in Apr of this year.

This for jtl513 & yourself. My info comes from HAL Caribbean/Mexico cruise book picked up at TA (CAA) updated May/08?......

OOPS!! You are absolutely correct! and I apologize for misinformation I have given....it was not my intent. I now see that in the book they show the Oosterdam deck plan (by itself) p.70/71 and (it's always the fine print that throws yu...does'nt it) and it states: "...deck plan eff until Apr2". Flip over to p.72 and it shows deck plan for Zuider, Ooster & Westerdam. and states new config for Oosterdam eff Apr24.

Live and learn and thank you for heads up...again my apologies to all of you. Keep smiling.

P.S. Turns out, I was in the right church....but wrong pew???

I don't understand what the confusion is here VA7131 IS on the stern of Oosterdam at this time. The retro for Oosterdam is in Apr of 09.

ms Oosterdam

Deck 7 - Rotterdam Deck - Until April 2, 2009

Sometimes, you only "see" what you want to see! I guess catl331 rattled my cage, so when I read the fine print...I saw 2008...but, guess what?

...."IT IS 2009".

Bottom line?....I may have some pie in my face...but I was right the first time. (without really knowing I was). As far as comments from jtl513 & cat...well they meant well....and as luck has it we can always be

saved in the end,... by people like you.

Now... what do I do w/all the scribbles I've made on page 70/71 and 71/72....shucks!!! LOL!!!

I don't understand what the confusion is here VA7131 IS on the stern of Oosterdam at this time. The retro for Oosterdam is in Apr of 09.

Sometimes, you only "see" what you want to see! I guess catl331 rattled my cage, so when I read the fine print...I saw 2008...but, guess what? ...."IT IS 2009".
MEA CULPA! Sorry! :o:o:o

Scorpiorose: that's a very deep verandah you have, and a cabin much-desired by many. Congrats!

Wow.....I must confess I'm a little confused now.....so Netwokeng was right, we're on the stern?

I thought I was going crazy there because when I brought up different plan from a search engine and then I looked on the deck plans.....they were different, I thought I was going crazy.

I guess the bottom line is that we have the stern? Possibly a bigger veranda facing the wake in the back?

I'd be happy with that!!!!

This cruise we've decided to do things differently just to see.

On HAL for the first time

Booked guarunteed for the first time

Haven't booked any excursions, we'll do that while there....

This is all so NOT me, I'm an obsessive planner and usually have everything to the min. planned out! I have a new job and we built a new house so........no planning.......so far so good!:o

Wait a minute......I just checked again and both on ***** and Holland's web sites they list the deck plans with the cabin 7131 on the side of the ship, not the stern.......I'm confused again!!!:cool:
That's what I did too. You are (and I was) looking at the post-April 2009 deck plans, not the current ones. 7131 IS currently on the stern, next to the starboard corner SB cabin, just as Jab70 said. NetwrkEng's post #18 shows the current plan.

Your verandah will be about 9 or 10 feet deep. Enjoy!! :)

Archived