Boudicca - course changed to allow remembrance of HMS Hood & those who were lost

Goldryder

More here...

http://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/news/local/3820035.REMEMBRANCE__HMS_Hood_tribute/

I think this is a wonderful thing that Olsen's did. There were so many lost when Hood sank, by diverting Boudicca it gave family members of those lost to mark their remembrance with dignity.

Makes a change to have something as touching as this to post. Olsen's did a great thing IMHO, something few cruise ship owners/captains would do thesedays.

Makes a change to have something as touching as this to post. Olsen's did a great thing IMHO, something few cruise ship owners/captains would do thesedays.

How very thoughtful and it sounds like the other passengers approved too.

The newspaper article is dated 10:31am Wednesday 5th November 2008.

If you actually read the article it states:

'' The service took place little more than a day after the 67th anniversary of the Hood going down and at the exact spot. ''

HMS Hood sadly sank on 24 May 1941.

Source: http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/hms_hood.htm

• 5 months later...

Hi guys ,

I was just reading through a post put on a while ago by Goldryder ref Fred Olsens ship Boudicca doing a rememberence for those lost on the H.M.S. Hood in WW2 . People on-board thanked the captain for his knowledge and kindness of passing over where the Hood had went down .

Yet we get a guest on-board boudicca stating that the ship was in the caribbean at that time and the dates dont match ?

Have we have any budding detectives out there ? :cool:

Yet we get a guest on-board boudicca stating that the ship was in the caribbean at that time and the dates dont match ?

Have we have any budding detectives out there ? :cool:

If you read the post immediately above your own you'll see where the mixup was.

We were passengers on the Boudicca on the cruise to Iceland and Greenland when the service for HMS Hood took place.

This service took place on Thursday 4th September 2008 at the exact location where HMS Hood came to rest.

We believe the newspaper report mixed up the anniversary of the sinking with the anniversary of when the ship was "laid down", which was the start of the construction of the ship.

It truly was a very moving service attended by the majority of passengers.

Many thanks for taking the time to clear that up , I am sure the service was very moving .

Last October my brother and I did a transatlantic voyage on the Queen Mary 2 , it was quite a surprise to us when he announced we were passing over the area where Titanic went down ...sort of brings a chill to you spine , but it didn`t stop me finishing my pint !

Thanks again ...:cool::cool::cool:

Archived