Dawn Princess and Crystal Harmony b2b review

kkorman

Necessary background, I booked the Dawn Princess 10-day Southern route about 10 months ago and was travelling with my aunt and her 2 friends. After the trip was planned I got an amazing deal to do the last 4 sailing of the AK season on the Dawn (NB, SB, and 2 3-night cruise) so I am very familiar with the ship and have an advantage in that I knew many of the crew on board. This of course will enhance anyone's experience. After my AK cruise, I found the amazing deal on Crystal and just made them back to back.

I am an avid cruiser having sailed 10 cruises in 04 and I guess I can say a cruise snob in that I do not pick a cruise for it's itinerary, but rather for the cruising expereince I would expect. That being said, I feel I am pretty down to earth person and hope you can gain something from my thoughts on these cruises...

The Dawn Princess

There has been a lot of negatives said about the Dawn Princess and Princess in general due to the issues with one of the engines. The resulting port cancellations/changes have gotten many people upset. For me, I welcomed the extra sea time and although my travel companions did not like it at first, were quite happy with it once we were on board. Of course, the onboard credit was always welcome.

My welcome aboard was a tad bit differnt than most in that the first 5 or 6 people were staff that I knew or at least recognized from my previous sailing, so was welcomed with open arms. It was really nice to know so many people. Having travelled solo on the AK cruises, I got to know many onboard. If you are given the oppurtunity to sail the same ship twice within the a short period, I would recommend it. We were in BB cabins A740 and A736. I am not a fan of balcony cabins, moreso the price than the actual cabin, but it was nice to have joining balconies and the location was perfect as we were the last 2 cabins before the deck on the back of the ship. I would recommend this location to anyone as at times there were very few people back here.

The ship had a few problems, but I was aware of them before going on this time. No one should worry about them now as the Dawn is in drydock as I write this. Size wise, I thought the Dawn to be perfect. There was I time when I thought the bigger the better, but I have since taken a liking to the Panamax ships and as you'll find out in a bit, much smaller than Panamax. I much perfer the more intimate atmosphere with more space per passenger. The only things I do not like about the design of this ship is that Sterling Steakhouse is part of the Lido buffet area and that the pizza place is a sitdown only restaurant. Looking at the rest of the ship though, there is not much that can be changed. I certainly would not make my decision to sail based on this. I also think that for the size, the layout of the bars is very nice. There are many options spread out throught the ship which prevents crowds from forming.

The food and services on board were very consistent to what I expect of Princess. I had exceptional service from all bar service. So much so that we had buckets of beer delivered to our balcony from the bar service on deck and were able to get specials apply to other drinks. For being such a young staff, most on their first contract, they certainly exceeded our expectations.

My group ate in the dining room as often as possible for lunch and dinner and the food was good to very good. Exactly what I expected and consistent with my Princess experience. Having PC dining we had several wait teams. Eventually, we settled down with a Romanian team and used them for 4 or 5 nights and were quite pleased with their service and attention to our needs. There was one night when my group, along with WestCoast were seated with a waiter I had on my previous cruise and was not happy with him then. He did not disappoint as it was a very sloppy and mistake filled dining experience, but at least I knew it going in. We learned and avoided this area.

The entertainment onboard was mostly the same as it was the last time onboard, so took advantage of the quiet times, to socialize with the crew. There was a new procuction show which got very good reviews. I am not much for organized entertainment though. The cruise staff was quite good and actually very good people as well. I believe they were all listed in a different review, but they were very good and very approachable as well.

Itinerary: Well, as most everyone knows it was significantly modified from

the brochure. We had Isla Margarite and Princess Cays dropped and a later start to Curacao and an early departure from Dominca. All that being said, I think most people enjoyed the new itinerary. Curacao was so hot during the day that being able to get off the ship in the evening was a welcome break. We were planning to go to the beach, but after a few hours of walking through town decided to head to the ship and relax by the pool. We got off again in the evening and stopped at one of the bars. So we did nothing organized this day. After the late departure, it was a very nice break to have the sea day the following day, especially if it wass going to be a short one anyway. .In Barbados, we did get to hit the beach. We chose Malibu Beach by the Rum distillery... it was clean, good sand, and clear water. A good choice if youa re looking for something close by. We returned fromt he beacha nd "the girls" went into Bridgetown and I went to the pool for some alone time. Though I did not visit the Atlantic side ont his trip, if you are visiting it is worth the trip over there. Islands tours were being offered by the taxi drivers for about $25-$30/person which is a steal over the Princess tours. It included stops ont he Atlantic side and the caves among other things. In DOminca we had planned to do the Hike to Middleham Falls, but "the girls" chickened out when they read the description and instead we went to town and after a lot of haraassment finally found a tour to go on. We did the Twin "T" (I forget the name) Falls, the botanical gardens, and a stop at a point overlooking Roseau. We paid $12.50 for this tour plus the $2 to get into the falls. An exceptional deal considering we saw most cruise tours at the Falls and they were all packed into vans. We had 4 people in a 9 passenger van. THe tour guide was very good as well... you can ask for "shyguy" if you are interested and he will not live up to his name. I'll say that when visiting here, be sure to get out of the city. This island's beauty is in the rain forest and you'll also get a break from the hot weather. My previous visit to Dominca, I did a river hike called the Tropical Tunnel, if you are adventurous and find this tour, I would highly recommend it. I did hear reviews from someone who did go on the Hike we orginally planned and they said it was exceptional, but was challenging at times. In hindsight I wish I had done it, but certainly enjoyed my $15 tour. Our final stop was St. Thomas. It was an overcast day here, but I was happy with that. The weather being so hot and sunny and cooler day with protection from the sun was good. I headed to the beach. MorningStar is my favorite and I was the only one on it for several hours. I eventually met up with some crew members and we had lunch at the Marriott. Won't go into any detail of things to do hear as most people have been here.

Others who were on board are welcome to agree or disagree with this, but I thought that the crowd onboard was not a typical Princess crowd. It was older (actually older than my Crystal cruise) which is normal I guess, but it was a lot of first time cruisers and cruises who have never sailed Princess before.

Crystal Harmony

First, embarkation and debarkation were the best I have seen by far. THe debarkation process is done without announcements. You are given a time to meet in the main lounge and they call the color there. The first announcement I heard was after I was off the ship telling anyone left onboard that they should be off. It made for a very nice morning until it was time to get off. The boarding process is very casual and did not have any lines. My luggage was sitting on my bed before I even arrived in my room. I had booked an inside gaurantee and was upgrade to an outside stateroom. The room was large and the amentities were plenty. The bed is unlike any I have had on a cruise ship and in fact more comfortable than mine at home. The ship does the world cruise so there is plenty of space, including a walk-in closet, for everything that you could possibly have brought. I was travelling alone for this trip, so I was quite happy with my accomedations. A nice touch by Crystal is that all soft drinks and water are included in the price of the cruise, so you have a stocked refrigerator with Coke, DC, Sprite, Tonice Water, Perrier, and water. If you use it, it is replaced. As for alcohol, you are able to bring on whatever you'd like for in-room consumption. For this cruise, there were 550 crew onboard and 630 passengers... which is a very good ratio. The double occupancy rate is 950 or so, so it was not a full sailing. The ship is beautiful. You would never be able to tell that it is nearly 15 years old. The size and itimacy of the ship instantly made it one of my favorites.

The highlight of the entire trip was the dining experience. Just about every meal rivaled, and several passed, that of the best restaurants I have been to on land. Looking back, I cannot think of one meal, other than a hamburger, that was not excellent. How the Crystal chefs are able to be so consistent is beyond me. It was very refreshing to see unique menus with so many options... you do not see this in the mass market lines. I can think of 3 or 4 times when I said after dinner that it was the best meal I have ever had in my life. The dining experience in itself made the trip worth it.

The service was also very good. All room attendants were women, mostly from Scandanavia. This is a nice touch. Our wait staff was only very good compared to the rest of the service onboard, but cetainly better than most Ihave had on other cruises. All crew is very sociable and will often just pull up a chair, offer to buy you a drink, and start talking with you. You do not see this interatcion consistently with other cruise lines. Also, a nice touch is that for the Captain's parties, it is truly an open bar, and you do not have to take the pre-made drinks.

A close second to the highlight of the trip was the entertainment. The production shows were excellent. There was actual talent in every member of the team and they did not do the voice overs like may cruise lines do. I am not sure how they are able to keep the level of talent on board. The voices rivalled those of any show I have seen in Vegas or New York. I had missed one of the shows because on the first night, I thought they would be very average, but I am glad that I caught the last 2. On top of the dance team, they also had a very good classical pianist that did one or two concerts and a big draw for many to Crystal (especially older women) is the dancing and gentleman hosts. The lounge with the band had plenty of single women travellers waiting tobe asked to dance. They also have the university at sea programs that included keyboard training, Spanish lessons, and various political and port lectures. I though the options were very well-rounded and interesting.

There are only 2 negatives that i can think of and they certainly can be related. First, on most night, the ship was asleep by 12:30. The formal nights were the excpetion here, but in general it was an early to bed and early to rise crowd. Second, I gathered pretty quickly that this was not the normal Crystal crowd. It took about 2-3 days to find people that have actually sailed Crystal before and my first thoughts of some of thepeople I met were not that great. There were a lot of people I met who came across as "look at me I am on Crystal" which was a huge turn off to me. Then they would go on to list everything they did not like about the tirp and how it is better on RCI or HAL or whatever theiur favorite cruise line was. Once I finally met a few Crystal past passengers, I relalized that I would like to sail again with less of the first time Crystal crowd. They were well-travelled, interesting, and surprisingly laid back. We eventually met a few people that we had a good time with.

Itinerary... as I said before and by evidence of this itinerary, I do not book cruises for itinerary. This one had stops at Key West, Cozumel, Nassau, and Freeport. I was trying to think of a worse itinerary to fit into seven days, but struggles. We made the most of it though and found a beach and then a local restaurant or bar for lunch. I still cannot figure out why any cruise ship would make a stop at Freeport. The prot area does not have anything and it is a 20+ minute cab ride to get to anywhere on the island.

Overall, it is hard to compare the two as I had such different experiences on both. I'll say this though, if I get the oppurtunity to sail on Crystal for say 125-150% of what I would pay for a mass market line, I would in a second. That being said, I am looking into 2 cruises on Pricess for the holidays.

I'll post some picts eventually and ask away if there are any questions. If any of the cruise critic folks from the Dawn want to add, please do. I know there were people looking for shore excursion info and I know that most of you did them.

Kevin

Kevin, Did you hear any details about how long we should continue to see port changes on the Dawn? We sail her at Easter and I'm wondering what to expect. Also do you have details about the refurbishment and what is involved, will the cabins be redone? Will the Dawn have Movies under the stars? Any info will be very welcome. Thanks tsj

(Sorry, I originally posted this question elsewhere, I'm just cruise crazed and looking for info. )

Kevin – thanks for the reviews…it’s interesting to get your perspective of Crystal. I have heard of the superior quality they offer, but also that they are “stuffy.” From your description, it sounds like the latter might not be true. Maybe I’ll start looking for a good Crystal deal!!

tsj,

I heard on board that the southern route will be as mine was, but again it is rumor. I have also heard that websites have the itinerary changed for sailing out until next year. I would just wait until you find out from Princess.

bdjam,

I too expected a very stuff crowd. And I am sure that there were a few onboard. Aside the formal nights being much more formal than on the normal lines (which was fun and I am not a dress up person), there was very little stuffiness. And several of the people that were regulars on Crystal skip formal night dining in the dining room because they do not like it. I was really surprised to see how laid back people were. A very good thing. There are some great rates for Crystal left this year. I wish I was able to book again.

Isn't Crystal Harmony more or less a sister to Royal Princess?

The tale is that the plans for Royal Princess were the foundation for both Crystal Harmony and Crystal Symphony. The general arrangement of the public rooms and areas are much the same. I believe Crystal Symphony shares the Royal Princess characteristic of all outside staterooms as well.

queenL,

Only the Grand Class ships and the Caribbean class (though they are considered the same) will be getting the movies under the stars in the near future. I do not think that the Sun class or the Diamond and Sapphire are designed to be able to have them.

The Dawn was docked next to the Star on the 24th. She is a beauty!!! :)

Queen, DUCK!!!!!!! :eek: INCOMING!!! :D

I was there when you left and got back. Wish I could have met you!

Did you enjoy the Star? It is a good ship. It was my first trip on Princess last year.

Thanks Kevin,

Reading you review made me all the more excited for my Dawn cruise!

I saw her sailing towards Freeport (via webcam) for her dry-dock and I can't believe I'm going to be aboard once it's over.

Any favourite bars and waiters aboard?

And Crystal seems like a good option too... drinks included in the price... hmmm... Interesting lectures other than "Diamond International"... that really appeals to me.

Kevin - You eventually have to go to work again, don't you??

Thanks for writing 2 excellent reviews. I enjoyed hearing about Crystal - I saw some of those good specials and unfortunately, couldn't take advantage of them.

Sue, I'd love to see them if you post them somewhere! I have some good Star picts as well. I'll be posting them tonight. I also did not get any of the Dawn before she left ont he 24th.

Melissa,

The Wheelhose Bar is my favorite and Mait is one of the best bartenders I have met. THe other staff in there is excellent as well. The Phillipino guys were very funny making fun of the bartenders. Bar Staff... Nacho (Ignacio) is a really good guy. He was in Jammers when I was on board, but moved to Magnums on the last cruise. In the dining room we had several, but settled in with Doru and Nick from Romania. THey were very good.

The alcohol is not included on Crystal, but is reasonable... a little more than Princess. The lectures I remember were about Homeland Security, Iraq & American FOreign Policy (2 parts) and another was about the History of Mexico and the Mayan ruins. I also recall one about building a safer world with a changing society. There was at least one a day.

Coral, yes, I am starting culinary school on Monday. I took as much time off as I could manage, but it is defintely time to start something new and get back into the workforce. I did have a good year though! I am still seeing some good deals out ther, especially on the Harmony. I just wish I managed to have the rest of this year off.

Larry,

Not much planned yet.I am looking for the holidays, but the airfare is killing me. THe Dawn is booked and that was my first choice, but am looking into the Caribbean Princess and Star Princess back to back.

Coral, yes, I am starting culinary school on Monday. I took as much time off as I could manage, but it is defintely time to start something new and get back into the workforce. I did have a good year though! I am still seeing some good deals out ther, especially on the Harmony. I just wish I managed to have the rest of this year off.

All I can say is that I have been jealous of your year of cruising :) Enjoy culinary school!

I have a Princess cruise booked for December and probably can't cruise until April or May time frame...So hopefully there will be some Crystal specials for the spring.

I just put a post on some string about Movies Under the Stars.. the new Princess promo DVD says "Caribbean, Grand and then Sea Princess" in the closest future. So, I guess it's not just Grand-class. I have no idea how they are going to fit the darn thing on ANY ship that isn't the Caribbean though. It'll be interesting!

Also, I wanted to add that your Crystal cruise had a bunch of travel agents on it. (Those would be the people walking around gawking and acting really silly.) They are having TA rates on a bunch of sailings around now, but actually had a class onboard in your week and the week after.

Cunard QM2 is having some really great rates in January in the Caribbean. Are you sure you have to start school? Or was QM2 on the list you already did this year? ;)

Cheers!

I just put a post on some string about Movies Under the Stars.. the new Princess promo DVD says "Caribbean, Grand and then Sea Princess" in the closest future. So, I guess it's not just Grand-class. I have no idea how they are going to fit the darn thing on ANY ship that isn't the Caribbean though. It'll be interesting!

Also, I wanted to add that your Crystal cruise had a bunch of travel agents on it. (Those would be the people walking around gawking and acting really silly.) They are having TA rates on a bunch of sailings around now, but actually had a class onboard in your week and the week after.

Cunard QM2 is having some really great rates in January in the Caribbean. Are you sure you have to start school? Or was QM2 on the list you already did this year? ;)

Cheers!

Yes, there were over 200 TAs on board. I probably met 100 of them. THere was also a group of 60 from CBS Marketwatch, so half of the people onboard were from these 2 groups.

I saw that the QM2 had good deals, but I have to start school soon. I really want to go on the QM2, the timing is just wrong.

Come to think of it, I did know the Sea Princess was getting it. I do not see how it will fit on the Sun class ships. THe Grand class are the same as the Caribbean class for the most part, but there just is not a ton of space on the Sun class. I did hear that the design of the Sapphire and Diamond whoul dmean that they could not put them on those ships.... of course, that could be rumor.

Archived