Passport Card???

VABeach

I'm sure it's totally fine to use according to the Passport Agency for my cruise, but I'm having visions of my bf being the first person in the world to have one and us standing in a corner for an extra 3 hours while they try to figure out what it is. (based on past bad experiences).

Does anyone know what it is?

Has anyone CRUISED with one before?

Why would anyone get a Passport Card instead of a real Passport?

Please advise!

My b/f is filling out his app. for our Dec. cruise right now....

Thanks! :)

We purchased the Passport Cards for our three children, and we're cruising in December. Our reasoning was that it was much cheaper, it was very portable/waterproof, and since they expire in 5 years instead of 10 (because they are children), the next time they'll need a Passport they'll be old enough to apply for the real "10 year" Passport.

I'm sure it's totally fine to use according to the Passport Agency for my cruise, but I'm having visions of my bf being the first person in the world to have one and us standing in a corner for an extra 3 hours while they try to figure out what it is. (based on past bad experiences).

Please advise!

It was designed for those living in border towns. Beyond that it has limited usefulness. The primary reason that people suggest that cruisers get a passport is to be able to quickly fly home from a foreign country. The passport card will not help you with that.

My advice is...if you are going to spend money, buy a full Passport. Far more useful in many more situations.

If money is an issue, you can just skip the passport card and stick with a BC and DL for your cruise. For most cruising, the passport card does not get you anything more than a BC/DL does. Well, OK, it is smaller and laminated, but also more costly.

Passport card has been in production since June or July, many folks have been using them for border crossings and cruises. Check-in clerks vary in their experience* but if there is any question a supervisor will quickly set them straight. As will any ICE officer at the port.

* One thread today said their clerk insisted on seeing 'a picture ID' in addition to a passport. As in she thought the passport was not a picture ID...!!!! Jeesh

Please advise!

The passport cards are designed for people who cross the border frequently (meaning 3 or 4 times a week at least). It is wallet size and while it will work for a cruise it was never meant for that purpose.

If you are going to get anything at all, unless you live near the border just get a passport, it is much more useful.

Well, you guys just confirmed what I was thinking. Luckily, I called the TA and had my BF talk to them about it before he filled out the box on the app. Confirming my concerns, they "had never even heard of it". That was enough to convince him. Now, hopfully we'll get it before the cruise... :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

~jenny

Well, you guys just confirmed what I was thinking. Luckily, I called the TA and had my BF talk to them about it before he filled out the box on the app. Confirming my concerns, they "had never even heard of it". That was enough to convince him. Now, hopfully we'll get it before the cruise... :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

~jenny

As mentioned above if you don't get it back in time (should have no problem) a birth certificate and drivers license is all you'll need.

Hopefully you have more than 1 copy of your BF's birth certificate.

Bill

Hopefully you have more than 1 copy of your BF's birth certificate.

Bill

Haha, That is the REAL issue isn't it??? ;) Dejavu of my friend traveling with me last summer and didn't have her passport yet, and the Passport Agency had her birth certificate...... :eek:

Haha, That is the REAL issue isn't it??? ;) Dejavu of my friend traveling with me last summer and didn't have her passport yet, and the Passport Agency had her birth certificate...... :eek:

most people have been reporting getting the pasports back in 2-3 weeks so all should be good.

Since I worry about anything I didn't apply for my passport until I had an extra copy of my birth certificate.

I got it in about one week through http://www.vitalchek.com

Bill

Archived