On Board Doctors

mcnabb3801

Can anyone tell me their experiences with on board Dr's...Fees?Charges? Medicines... Do Ship Dr's carry common medicines..such as antibiotics...steroids (i'm an asthmatic) - my ears are easily clogged and Im concerned whether the Dr is able to irrigate them?Can they treat commom illnesses as well? What are the fees for visits? Medication?

Im sorry if these questions seem strange...

On a old Regency cruise...I got suit in my eyes...I was not charged for treatment.

On a NCL ship...I took a bad fall and hurt my tailbone...I was given Xray's and pain pills...I was not charged.

Last year on a Princess cruise, my friend got his hand caught in a elevator..Without seeing the Doctor, they wouldn't even give us a bandaide. When he did go down to the Doctor for bandaides...They didn't charge him.

On the same cruise my Aunt got very sea sick and went to the Doctors..and she was charged.

Sandy

Wow it sounds so hit or miss.... I wander how Carnival Dr's are?

Did you get sweat or sand in your eyes? Im just wandering if the Dr will be able to irrigate my ears because they get clogged easily and especially being underwater etc more than usual I am concerned...Im thinking they do have common meds like antibiotics...steroids...etc but not positive

It was black suit from the smoke stack....The Doctors do have meds but I would take precations on your ears...like wear ear plugs...

I broke a crown on the Delta Queen last year...While in port (Indiana) I went to a Dentist...my cruise insurance took care of that.

Sandy

A couple of years ago, one of the guys in our group had an allergic reaction to peanuts on a Carnival ship. He stayed over night in the Infirmary and said they took very good care of him. He said the doctor was as good as any ER he'd been to and they had all the medications needed to treat him.

The very first time we cruised with the boys....our youngest (age 5 at the time) got one of those 103 fevers that kids will get while we were out to sea.

I took him to the ship's doctor and back then (10+years ago) the charge was $40.00. I mainly took him to make sure it was not an ear infection. It was not. I gave him some Tylenol (I always look like a traveling pharmacy) and by the next morning...he was fine.

They charged the $40.00 to our Sail and Sign Card and our regular health insurance reimbursed us. We simply had to fill out some paperwork.

I came down sick on a Caribbean cruise a few years ago. Talk about a bummer for a cruise! I was sick as a dog for the rest of the week.

I went to the ship's doctor. He was sweet, young, and TOOO cute! (And I looked awful cuz I was so sick!)

He diagnosed me with pneumonia (but did not take x-rays). He gave me super 3-day antibiotics and charged me $120 for the antibiotics and the visit. He also gave me tons of free tylenol. My HMO wouldn't cover this outside the country, but I had purchased cruise insurance ahead of time, which covered it all.

The worst part, of course, was being sick in my cabin while the rest of my family cruised and took excursions without me. icon9.gif

My advice: Buy cruise insurance!

Wow it sounds so hit or miss.... I wander how Carnival Dr's are?

Im just wondering if the Dr will be able to irrigate my ears because they get clogged easily and especially being underwater etc more than usual I am concerned...Im thinking they do have common meds like antibiotics...steroids...etc but not positive

Yes they have steroids, antibiotics, etc but for your ears why not just go to your own FP before you leave town and have them checked. Some docs will also give you preventative antibiotics or n/v meds if you ask.

DH got a bad ear infection this past week on Carnival. Obviously no fault on their part, it was $60 to see the Dr. who was very nice and another $125 for the meds that would have cost next to nothing with our insurance at home. We did not purchase insurance but will in the future.

I wasn't aware that health insurance pays for medical visits outside of the country??

Everyone's insurance is different. I did not buy trip insurance because I figured I would take my chances on the cost of the trip, But before making that decision I did call my health insurance provider to make sure if anything happened and I had to be airlifted off the ship it would be covered, as well as any other medical bills. I am covered but I doubt that everyone is.

Yes, having insurance can be hit and miss alright! We were in Vegas a few years back and I became ill. 6 days later my DH convinced me to go to a doctor. Long story short, because we did not call the insurance provider to get a list of THEIR approved physicians in the area, we were not covered. We went to a 24 hour walk in clinic close to our hotel. I had developed severe food poisoning and was dangerously dehydrated, had to be treated with meds and IV. The bill was large, but worth the relief the next morning!

While on the Carnival Valor I had a cold that week and 2 days before it ended I woke up with my ear completely blocked. I saw the dr. on the ship and it was an ear infection. I am allergic to many medicines but he was able to find one that I could take. I don't think they have an endless supply but he had quite a few to choose from. I was concerned about flying home and he said there was nothing he could do for me other than give me the medicine.

It all turned out ok though. My bill ended up being $260 and my HMO reimbursed me for everything except my $5 co-pay.

Last year before our cruise, I came down with a bug. I went to my regular doctor, who gave me an antibiotic that gave me SEVERE insomnia. After not having slept for 5 days, I went to the ship's doctor. He was able to give me some sleeping pills. They were an older generic brand and I was charged quite a lot (I think it was about $200 for the visit and the medication). But it was worth it to be able to get to sleep.

Whether you're charged or not probably has to do with whether you are sick or if you became injured on board.

I would definitely see your own doctor before your trip and get some of your usual medication to take with you. You don't want to try any new medications before or on your cruise, if you can help it.

Can anyone tell me their experiences with on board Dr's...Fees?Charges? Medicines... Do Ship Dr's carry common medicines..such as antibiotics...steroids (i'm an asthmatic) - my ears are easily clogged and Im concerned whether the Dr is able to irrigate them?Can they treat commom illnesses as well? What are the fees for visits? Medication?

Im sorry if these questions seem strange...

Cruise Doctors are contract vendors. They do not work FOR the cruiseline.

Their fees are whatever the traffic will bear.

Generally, if one is injured on board the ship, treatment is done without charge to the patient. Treatment for something not related to a possible lawsuit, will come with a fee.

Travel insurance does cover treatment aboard ship if you did purchase it. You pay the Doc and file a claim for reimbursement.

Dan

for a "Z" pak, and for me to tell Dr what I needed for my sore throat/infection, and he spent 2 minutes with me. I have Military Ins. only bummer was..I was in the middle of a B2B, and he wasnt in til 5pm on sail a way day. I got a chill-fever on the last night of 1st 1/2.. I take Emer-gen-C, cought med, tyleno, etc, and stay outta the drafty AC.

Everyone's insurance is different. I did not buy trip insurance because I figured I would take my chances on the cost of the trip, But before making that decision I did call my health insurance provider to make sure if anything happened and I had to be airlifted off the ship it would be covered, as well as any other medical bills. I am covered but I doubt that everyone is.

Before you buy trip insurance, you should call your health insurance company and ask a few questions. As it turns out, I am totally covered with my insurance (as far as medical goes) but my gf is not, so we had to make sure she had good trip insurance that covered medical well. She didn't think it was a big deal, but you never know what might happen, it is bad enough to be sick, but having to worry about how it is going to be paid for just makes you feel worse. But then I am a worry wort...so my gf says...

I felt compelled to jump in here and tell you that the Carnival Liberty doctor saved my husband's life last December. Hubby had a heart attack on board, on the way to Grand Cayman. 100% right coronary artery blockage. They gave him some $3000 clot buster shot, which we were told later is what helped save him. The doctors at Cayman Islands hospital (where we went as soon as we got to GC) and Jackson Mem. in Miami (where he was later air-ambulanced) both said the ship infirmary treatment saved him. The doctor and nurse were FABULOUS. And thank God we had travel insurance! Our health insurance covered a good part of it, and the travel ins. made up the rest, along with the flights the kids had to take from GC to Miami, our hotel, meals, transportation, etc. in Miami. We did have to pay Carnival upfront before disembarking (over $4000), and we had to pay Cayman hosp. before leaving (over $5000), but we were fully reimbursed for all of it, including half the cost of cruise, tips, etc. within about 2 weeks of filing the claims. We mainly got the travel ins for possible cancellation (for our college kiddies), not EVEN thinking one of us (mid-40's) would really need the medical part. Total cost was over $110,000, of which over $20,000 was for the air ambialnce to Miami. I might also recomend taking a credit card with a high limit if you have one, just in case of emergency. All is well now and we have booked our next cruise - with Carnival of course!!!!

I just wanted to say that I am so happy to hear that everyone had a positive experience with the on board doctors, the only time I had to use one was when I was a small kid and I had sunburn on my back, that was on the Song of America and at the time my father was the hotel manager, so no need to say I was well taken care off, but I often wondered how well people were treated.

I felt compelled to jump in here and tell you that the Carnival Liberty doctor saved my husband's life last December. Hubby had a heart attack on board, on the way to Grand Cayman. 100% right coronary artery blockage. They gave him some $3000 clot buster shot, which we were told later is what helped save him. The doctors at Cayman Islands hospital (where we went as soon as we got to GC) and Jackson Mem. in Miami (where he was later air-ambulanced) both said the ship infirmary treatment saved him. The doctor and nurse were FABULOUS. And thank God we had travel insurance! Our health insurance covered a good part of it, and the travel ins. made up the rest, along with the flights the kids had to take from GC to Miami, our hotel, meals, transportation, etc. in Miami. We did have to pay Carnival upfront before disembarking (over $4000), and we had to pay Cayman hosp. before leaving (over $5000), but we were fully reimbursed for all of it, including half the cost of cruise, tips, etc. within about 2 weeks of filing the claims. We mainly got the travel ins for possible cancellation (for our college kiddies), not EVEN thinking one of us (mid-40's) would really need the medical part. Total cost was over $110,000, of which over $20,000 was for the air ambialnce to Miami. I might also recomend taking a credit card with a high limit if you have one, just in case of emergency. All is well now and we have booked our next cruise - with Carnival of course!!!!

Hello from a heart attack survivor. Luckily mine came about 2 weeks after our cruise ended. For your peace of mind, my HA was in 4/2000. I'm now 67 and still doing fine.

Hard to believe some still say travel insurance is a waste of money. Some normal health coverage does cover medical costs outside the US but I wonder about the air ambulance costs. And the partial loss of the cruise, plus the transportation of the fellow travelers certainly would not be covered by normal health coverage.

Your foresight helped ease a terrible situation.

Dan

Glad everything turned out okay for all of you but especially for your DH.. Wonder if all ships carry the "clot busting" drug? Seems like it would definitely be a good thing to have in the drug arsenal...

While on the Queen Mary 2 I passed out and hit a chair. I cut the bridge of my nose and the side of my eye. I had to have stitches and they did an EKG and gave me some glucose due my sugar being so low. They charged my S&S card $900.00. When I got home I sent the bills to my insurance company and they reimbursed me for the charges. I would check with your medical insurance regarding claims out of the country. I did not have cruise insurance.

Shippmates

Archived