The "Major" Tour Operators out of Ocho Rios/MoBay

inotdown

Please correct me if I am wrong or add to the list. The major Tour Operators that do cruise excursions or tours are as follows:

Peat Taylor

Marva Shaw

Barrett Adventures

Trevor Hudlin

A-Z Jamaica Planners

Orville Taylor

Mark Morris

I'm just trying to figure out the major ones. I really want to do research on each and see which one best fits my needs.

Anyone care to rank them? Please correct or add as needed.

Please correct me if I am wrong or add to the list. The major Tour Operators that do cruise excursions or tours are as follows:

Peat Taylor

Marva Shaw

Barrett Adventures

Trevor Hudlin

A-Z Jamaica Planners

Orville Taylor

Mark Morris

I'm just trying to figure out the major ones. I really want to do research on each and see which one best fits my needs.

I can't rank them since we have only used Trevor Hudlin, but we absolutely LOVE him!

We have recommended him to several friends who have cruised to Jamaica at different times, and every one of them has come back delighted! They have all done different things...customized to their group and likes/ dislikes.

Trevor is awesome!!! You can't go wrong with him! (We will be with him again in Feb.....can't wait!)

Peat Taylor

Marva Shaw

Barrett Adventures

Trevor Hudlin

A-Z Jamaica Planners

Orville Taylor

Mark Morris

My research on these different companies has shown me something quite shady and "questionable" in regards to the posting guidelines for this message board.

One of the companies that I listed above I suspect is "spamming" this board. I am trying to determine which tour company to go with and this one particular company has posts that seem like a shady way to get advertising out.

I came to this conclusion by doing an "advanced search" with the tour company name right here in the main Jamaica forum. I took the time to scan each post and see where the company name comes up. I noticed that quite frequently there are posters that have a low post count--less than 18, have just registered within the past few months and the context and verbiage of each post is virtually the same.

In a review of a any particular company I look for details, description, and the overall experience. In what seems like legitimate reviews, the poster has been a member for some time, has hundreds or even thousands of posts, there is variation in each unique poster such as a picture, cruise countdown clock, or some sort of signature. All of the companies that I listed above have posts and reviews like this.

The one company that I suspect could be spamming this board has posts that are not that descriptive, do not provide many details, are very very general, and are overall just saying the same thing over and over. The writing style is the same and the overall structure is the same with a link almost in the same spot for many of these questionable posts. These types of posts are from posters that I described in my previous paragraph.

I am not out to "call out" any particular company or business. This company has MANY positive reviews and feedback that are descriptive and very helpful to the average user. BUT, if you do a little C.S.I. work you will see what I am describing. The other companies that I listed have more "unique" descriptive feedback. Some reviews are very long, some are short but the one main difference is that you don't see a lot of web address promoting and you read a lot of descriptive details about each tour or excursion.

Again, all of the companies I have listed got great reviews. It is just that one particular company IMHO is using this forum/message board in a way that goes against the terms of agreement for posting here. If you take the time to do the investigative work you will see it yourself. If a company does a good job then people will write positive reviews. I know that this board is one of the major sources of cruise information but flooding a message board should not be necessary if a business is legit.

:confused: Was that the intent of the original post? I'm slightly confused.

Anyway, my initial thought when reading your OP was that there's really no way to rank these tour guides. I really doubt any one here on this board has taken a tour with every single guide/company on that list and would therefore be in the position to make such a ranking.

I chose one of these guides for my upcoming visit to Jamaica based on feedback Ive read here. Somewhat in conjunction with what you said in your latter post, I made my decision on the descriptive manner in which other cruisers provided feedback.

Good luck on your quest to find the best... but honestly, I think most of the ones you listed would give a great tour (Ive not read anything about a couple of them).

:confused: Was that the intent of the original post? I'm slightly confused.

Anyway, my initial thought when reading your OP was that there's really no way to rank these tour guides. I really doubt any one here on this board has taken a tour with every single guide/company on that list and would therefore be in the position to make such a ranking.

I chose one of these guides for my upcoming visit to Jamaica based on feedback Ive read here. Somewhat in conjunction with what you said in your latter post, I made my decision on the descriptive manner in which other cruisers provided feedback.

Good luck on your quest to find the best... but honestly, I think most of the ones you listed would give a great tour (Ive not read anything about a couple of them).

After reading my initial post even I am confused. My bad.

I didn't want to make a whole new post knocking a particular tour company. It was my intent to share what I found during my research of the companies I listed.

Well, I appreciate you sharing that with us, and I think you are right on target. I clicked some of those "satisfied customers" and ALL of their posts are about Jamaica and that one particular tour company.

I don't like this kind of dishonesty in business, and will think twice before booking them.

I wonder if the moderators can run the IP address of these suspicious posters? If they're coming from Jamaica, then all of the accounts need to be banned. I'm pretty angry about this. :eek:

Another thing regarding these different companies is that some of them are better suited for larger groups while others are better suited for small groups. It seems that a few of those companies listed will also go out of their way to accommodate special needs individuals. Also, the smaller the group the faster the drive--If you are only a "couple" you dont have to wait for anybody else, but you may be paying a little more. If you are in a large group you are at the mercy of when the last picture is taken, and when the young preoccupied child finally boards the bus. It is really hit or miss but if you take the time to research each one, correspond with them, then Im sure you find one that best suits your needs.

I would share the names but I believe that goes against the terms of agreement... :(

I am not sure which company you suspect of spamming--but it doesn't surprise me. The tour and travel business if very competative. I know that just a few negative posts can turn me off from contacting a company. Reputation is everything for these independent companies. I can tell you that we have only been to Ochos once, and had a great time with Marva. It was because of these boards that I even knew to contact her. She gave me the name of her son, who was living in Grand Cayman at the time and we went with him there on our stop. Both were wonderful and I wouldn't hesitate to use either of them. If you do suspect some company of posting why don't you just state who you believe is doing it? Curious minds want to know:p

I am not sure which company you suspect of spamming--but it doesn't surprise me. The tour and travel business if very competative. I know that just a few negative posts can turn me off from contacting a company. Reputation is everything for these independent companies. I can tell you that we have only been to Ochos once, and had a great time with Marva. It was because of these boards that I even knew to contact her. She gave me the name of her son, who was living in Grand Cayman at the time and we went with him there on our stop. Both were wonderful and I wouldn't hesitate to use either of them. If you do suspect some company of posting why don't you just state who you believe is doing it? Curious minds want to know:p

I didn't post the name of the company because I thought it was pretty obvious to everyone who it is.. and I also am not sure if it's allowed on this forum.. but since you asked.. I suspect Peat Taylor.

All you need to do is look for the pattern as I stated on another thread:

- If you click on the poster's former posts, ALL of them are about Peat Taylor and all positive. There are no posts about cruising, ships, etc.

- Most of them give his web site URL

- The posters all list their towns and states

- The posters have no list of sailings or a ticker

- The writing styles are similar

Of course, now that I have written this, the spammer will probably try harder to disguise his/her posts. I really urge C.C. to PLEASE run the IPs on the poster or posters in question. I bet they originate from Jamiaca and not the U.S.

I want to add that this type of deception disgusts me and makes me VERY suspicious of the tour company. If a tour operator is truly good, they don't have to rely on dishonesty. They can count on happy customers spreading the word.

In addition to what has been mentioned previously if you take a look at some of the posts from these "suspected spam posters" some of the text is a cut and paste job. And then there is the situation in which one suspected spam post responds/replies directly to a suspected spam post. So in other words its a spammer spamming a spammer to mislead the average reader.

I think it is dead obvious what is going on here. Any person that takes the time to read the forums will see this. Now don't get me wrong, this particular company DOES HAVE GOOD REVIEWS from what it seems to be legitimate cruise critic members but a good portion of the posts that have this particular company's link don't have any real valuable information to help users make a true educated decision.

An honest and legitimate company would follow the rules and terms of agreement of this forum. An honest and legitimate company would also have real people say good things about them too.

There have been some nightmare stories about the Jamaica Port. Many people don't even want to get on the ship and are saying that the cruise companies should skip Jamaica all together. Given that safety is a priority one would think that a company would have a little more honesty and integrity and would not have to do spam a message board to get their name across.

Very interesting observation--thanks for pointing out how to spot the spam. I have always relied on these boards to give feedback on private tour operators and have not been disappointed with the feedback and suggestions that I have read about here. As a matter of fact I come back to the port threads even if I don't have a trip planned to these destinations to see if I can help out others. I am currently researching my next cruise to the Panama Canal this spring and will be on the lookout for fake posts! Thanks again!

edited information: I just went and read a couple of threads and now see what you mean--very interesting information; and I find it interesting that the spammers specifically mention that they tipped and the amount that they gave...hummm interesting!!!!

Peat Taylor

Marva Shaw

Barrett Adventures

Trevor Hudlin

A-Z Jamaica Planners

Orville Taylor

Mark Morris

I would add wentworth pearson. Read the testimonials on his web site. He was a head waiter on RCL and NCL before he was able to go home to his family and start his business. Nice man

Very interesting observation--thanks for pointing out how to spot the spam. I have always relied on these boards to give feedback on private tour operators and have not been disappointed with the feedback and suggestions that I have read about here. As a matter of fact I come back to the port threads even if I don't have a trip planned to these destinations to see if I can help out others. I am currently researching my next cruise to the Panama Canal this spring and will be on the lookout for fake posts! Thanks again!

edited information: I just went and read a couple of threads and now see what you mean--very interesting information; and I find it interesting that the spammers specifically mention that they tipped and the amount that they gave...hummm interesting!!!!

When you find such posts on CC, you can click the little triangle at the top right corner of the post to report the post. The thread moderators/hosts will then review the post and determine if it should be deleted. They are very quick about that and I REALLY appreciate their diligence! Thanks, Mods!

Now you have me worried. I have a private tour booked with Peat in Jan for a rather large group. :( Has anyone had a personal experience that they could tell me about. I was so scared of Jamaica to begin with and thought I had researched it very well. Now I just don't know...

Now you have me worried. I have a private tour booked with Peat in Jan for a rather large group. :( Has anyone had a personal experience that they could tell me about. I was so scared of Jamaica to begin with and thought I had researched it very well. Now I just don't know...

You'll be fine. Among the suspected "spam" posts he does have what seems to be a legitimate business and legitimate positive reviews. I just wanted to point out what I saw as I researched the different companies.

But, with TripAdvisor, I think we would see more negative reviews as well.

This is something that we do not see. If we saw a ton of negative reviews buffered by a ton of positive reviews then I would be concerned. Of course, a business is going to come here and tweek posts. Corporations everywhere patrol message boards and have entire marketing teams. You don't think GM or any major auto company doesn't quietly review review sites? I am sure that competition is harsh in OCHO. Please come forward with any negative post for P.T. , because, I just booked him for January. I would seriously like to know.

I have not taken a tour with Peat, but I can assure you that he has been around for many years giving tours of Ocho Rios. I have known people who have taken his tour, Ive heard nothing but good things from them. For those of you who are booked with him, do not worry, you will have a good day.

I can't say whether or not the spam stuff has any merit or not, I have not personally done any research on the issue (though it seems others have and are in agreement). However, this man does have a long standing, good reputation in regards to the TOUR that he gives. No one is disputing that, this thread is merely discussing the possibility of spamming for business.

I did feel very comfortable booking with him after I read many positive things and had at least a dozen conversations via e-mail with him. I am fairly confident that all will be well. He was VERY quick to respond and eager to please as we are booking a private tour for 21.

Peat Taylor

Marva Shaw

Barrett Adventures

Trevor Hudlin

A-Z Jamaica Planners

Orville Taylor

Mark Morris

I don't know how you define "major tour operators", but we were in Jamaica a few weeks ago and took a tour with Wentworth Tours. He was wonderful and my family had a great time. It was my first time in Jamaica and I was a bit nervous, but he really took care of us. Good luck in your search and enjoy your vacation.

Peat Taylor

Marva Shaw

Barrett Adventures

Trevor Hudlin

A-Z Jamaica Planners

Orville Taylor

Mark Morris

How about adding Phil Lafayette? He's had a lot of positive reviews here. We have a tour planned with him next week and are looking forward to it.

Just returned from our cruise. If you want someone who is friendly, honest, flexible, fair and willing to go out of his way to make sure you see what you want, stay as long as you want and share the real Ocho rios, then I highly recommend Mark. He helped us negotiate when buying coffee, took us to a local place to taste what Jamaicaans typically eat for a quick lunch.

We strongly recommend Mark and chose him because he made the tour for us rather than try and fit us into a pre-designed tour that may or may not be exactly right.

Updated List:

Peat Taylor/Orville Taylor

Marva Shaw

Barrett Adventures

Trevor Hudlin

A-Z Jamaica Planners

Mark Morris

Phil Lafayette

Wentworth Tours

ShoreTrips

I know that some of the listed only do Ocho Rios while others do both Ocho Rios and Montego Bay.

Thank you for the list. It has helped tremendously on just trying to figure out what to do in Jamaica and it gave me some "direction."

I am finding that in trying to book a tour with some of the names listed that some respond a lot quicker than others. I don't know how busy these companies or individuals are but some are quick to respond while others haven't responded at all. Just to share with everybody...Marva Shaw was pretty quick and answered my questions and gave great suggestions--we went back and forth for some time. Barrett Adventures was also quick and Carolyn from Barrett Adventures answered all of my questions in great detail. Peat Taylor and Trevor Hudlin also responded but it took them a few days. I still appreciate them responding though. Some of the other names on the list haven't responded and part of me is thinking that because I am cruising out of Montego Bay and not Ocho Rios may be the issue.

Archived