Bistro on Five explanation from Celebrity

erms

Strictly my own feelings on this subject -

First, Celebrity has insulted my intelligence by stating this was based on previous sailings and once you do that there is a problem.

Second - As previous posters have stated, this is not just $5. If my husband and I go for crepes every day (which I had intended) and lunch a couple of times we are looking at an additional $100 that we did not anticipate when we made final payment.

Third - The cost of fuel has come down dramatically since deposit was made. Celebrity will be gaining a little in that respect. Why not institute the $5 charge effective January 1, 2009? Or at least supply a few free "coupons" to allow those on a budget to at least experience the venue?

Last point - I do agree that passengers should not complain to wait staff and such with brochure in hand BUT voicing an opinion to the directors on board should be encouraged. Short, sweet and to the point delivered in a respectful manner by many passengers just might make enough impact.

I am new here, going on not only our first Celebrity cruise, but our first cruise period. I am reading all the forums and posts with great interest. Of all of them, I am a bit dismayed reading about increases in on board charges.

What I also see on this forum is a lot of quarreling, like a family, with Host Anne and Andy being the Mom and Dad. Like all families, the kids can't successfully be made to keep quiet and neither can they be told what to do and when to do it as they get older and move away.

We paid quite a bit for our cruise, (perhaps because we booked so early?) and I likened the cost to an all inclusive resort on land somewhere. All inclusive on land is seeming to cost quite a bit less and even includes alcoholic drinks. When one considers the cost of the cruise being about $400 to $500 per day per couple, it gets a bit pricey and being required to pay "extras", it gets a bit much to me. I find that this is a "hidden" cost of cruising. I also am one of those who find that the imposed surcharges and tips render the importance of service secondary or non essential. It may be old hat to veteran cruisers but it is a bit of a surprise to us newbies. $5 here, $5 there for just my Wife and I is one thing, but I can certainly see this as a burden to folks with families.

Anyway folks, hit on the big Corporation and take it easy Mom and Dad :)

Thank you for your insight on this issue.

I hope you and your wife have a fantastic cruise! The first cruise is always the most exciting one. But be aware....you'll get hooked. It's a wonderful way to travel.

Karyn

In one of the photos from the Now on Solstice Thread from homebuild who is no on baord, one shot captures the Bistro Menu, #145 and there is in fact the note in the top right corner $5 per person service charge.

So there it is like it or not.

solstice 145

The majority of the menu is the crepes. Wondering if they have indeed moved some of the other main offerings to an area of Oceanview Cafe.

After seeing the menu, there is absolutly no reason to charge anything for the Bistro.

The menu looks sort of gross to me with a lot of scrambled eggs, ceasar salad (been there done that), chef salad, brownies and cheesecake are they kidding? They expect someone to pay $5 each.

If its crowd control they are worried about, the menu does that and will keep people away.

• 3 weeks later...

Half a dozen returnees from the inaugural 7 day cruise have posted, and not one of them mentioned Bi$tro for Five. The menus previewed back in July looked so tempting; unfortunately they never made it to reality. The one in play is not worth paying for IMHO. Anyone have experience with this place last week?

Half a dozen returnees from the inaugural 7 day cruise have posted, and not one of them mentioned Bi$tro for Five. The menus previewed back in July looked so tempting; unfortunately they never made it to reality. The one in play is not worth paying for IMHO. Anyone have experience with this place last week?

We ate at the Bistro for lunch one day. Menu is limited to crepes, a soup of the day, a couple of salads and a few panini.

For dessert there were three crepes and about 4 other selections.

Even though it was one quarter full, the service was slow. Only the dessert crepes are made in view, the rest come from the kitchen. We enjoyed our lunch, but I don't know if I would do it more than once a sailing.

We rarely saw the Bistro busy. I think they will have to expand the menu.

Mari

$10 for two seems a large tip for crepes in a self-serve venue... we will pass until it is worth it with an enlarged menu or the charge is removed

We are also re-thinking paying full tips for the main DR if we are out at special venues on several nights--there we expect to pay the extra charge & usually tip extra--so are those extra charges tips or not tips? They make is fairly fuzzy so you tip extra ...

we thought the Bi$tro for Five was a great idea to take some crowds from the buffet & the inital sample menus looked nice for a fast meal. Why not give everyone one free trip at least?

$10 for two seems a large tip for crepes in a self-serve venue... we will pass until it is worth it with an enlarged menu or the charge is removed

We are also re-thinking paying full tips for the main DR if we are out at special venues on several nights--there we expect to pay the extra charge & usually tip extra--so are those extra charges tips or not tips? They make is fairly fuzzy so you tip extra ...

we thought the Bi$tro for Five was a great idea to take some crowds from the buffet & the inital sample menus looked nice for a fast meal. Why not give everyone one free trip at least?

It is not a self serve venue, you have sit down waiter service. Our group had soup, two savory crepes and dessert. You can order as much as you please.

We only ate at the main dining room twice, but paid the suggest gratuity. We saw these waiters from the main dining room serving breakfast, brunch and lunch. They are a hard working group.

Mari

Archived