Sunset Beach, Montego Bay....are they kidding with these prices???

Dotsie

We just returned from our cruise on the Liberty of the Seas and visited Sunset Beach. The weather was not great but we decided to go anyway in case it cleared up. We were a group of 14 and have been there several times before.

Our cab left us at the gate and we were ready to purchase our day pass when we were informed that the price has gone up from $40 to $64 which is a big hike for 14 people in the same family. We told her that we were willing to spend $40 and she asked us to wait because we were about to take a cab back. We waited about 15 minutes and she came back to us and said there was nothing she could do and it was still $64 per adult and $30 per child. I was surprised that they were not willing to negotiate the price for a group that large and lose over $500 revenue on a day that the weather was a gamble.

We got back to the ship and it started to pour for the rest of the day so at least we were happy that we didn't waste all that money to sit in the rain all day.

WOW is all I can say! A 50% increase is a lot. My family will be in Jamaica in December and had planned on going to Sunset Beach. However, what would have cost my family of 3 adults and 1 child $140 will now cost $222 AND THAT'S A BIG JUMP!

Not sure if it is worth that much of a jump. Maybe they are charging more since they have completed all the construction and it is holiday time???

Might just spend the day on the ship and have it to ourselves. Anybody have any thoughts on whether Sunset Beach is worth the extreme rise in cost per person? I had really been looking forward to trying the jerk chicken.

We also had planned on going to Sunset Beach over Thanksgiving but due to the huge price jump will most likely not be going. I know that in any business, prices do have to increase occasionally, but usually it is in fair increments. The 50% increase, to me, goes beyond that. From what the original poster said, it sounds like they do not care whether they lose business or not, so I guess the loss of revenue from our group of 11 would not matter to them.

Liza

With the price increase have services and/or facilities changed or improved? What I would like to know is if there is anything "different" now. OR...is it just a sign of the times as with everything else that is going up in price...

what is unfortunate is that it wasn't a small increment increase...it was a huge jump.

we went to Sunset Beach two weeks ago and were charged $60.00 each, we asked why the increase from the $40.00 we were expecting and they would only say the entrance price is now $60.00. We paid the $120.00 for the two of us, the jerk chicken was "ok", but we both agreed that the price was to high for the rum punch and to float around in the lazy river, last year we went to Sandals resort thru the ship excursion and agreed that we would do that again because after we paid taxi fare and the $120.00, we didn't save very much. By the way, there are no lockers for your wallet or such. The man at the front desk locked our wallets in the safe, but threatened us with a $200.00 fine if we lost the key!

I had plans on going to Sunset Beach with my mother because it was all inclusive. I had no plans on sliding down the slides or anything, I just wanted to chill by the ocean or use the lazy river. My sister and nephew may be going and I just don't think I want to fork over that kind of money, especially if I won't be using everything.

I think we will go to Doctor's Cave Beach instead and for food hit the Pork Pit that I hear people talking about.

Erica

we went to Sunset Beach two weeks ago and were charged $60.00 each, we asked why the increase from the $40.00 we were expecting and they would only say the entrance price is now $60.00. We paid the $120.00 for the two of us, the jerk chicken was "ok", but we both agreed that the price was to high for the rum punch and to float around in the lazy river, last year we went to Sandals resort thru the ship excursion and agreed that we would do that again because after we paid taxi fare and the $120.00, we didn't save very much. By the way, there are no lockers for your wallet or such. The man at the front desk locked our wallets in the safe, but threatened us with a $200.00 fine if we lost the key!

You've been on the two trips that we're (husband and two college aged boys) considering. The cost differential would be about $200 for us. Do you think the Sandals excursion is worth that much? Any other input about Sandals would be greatly appreciated! ie, Are you treated like a "regular" guest? Is the 5 hours enough? Etc.?

You've been on the two trips that we're (husband and two college aged boys) considering. The cost differential would be about $200 for us. Do you think the Sandals excursion is worth that much? Any other input about Sandals would be greatly appreciated! ie, Are you treated like a "regular" guest? Is the 5 hours enough? Etc.?

We do the Sandals excursion. For my DH & I it's a great deal because we are big drinkers & party people. The drinks alone are worth it. Our friends enjoyed it as well. They took the big water bikes out. We all had a great time.Last time we were there I was in the dance contest at the bar there. I ended up winning & got a bottle of rum & a cute necklace.

There are 3 Sandals in St. Lucia. They took us to the Sandal's Regency. They have a golf course there. There is a nice restaurant by the pool, but we took the shuttle up the hill & went to the Italian rest. for lunch. It was good. We came back to the pool & had our dessert there. There's a great swim-up pool bar with terrific drinks. The pool is nice, lots of lounge chairs. The beach is beautiful. We had a lot of fun. Lots of activities. The guys got in on a volleyball game. The staff was very entertaining & fun. It's a great trip. The Sandals I won the dance contest at was in Jamaica. These trips are well worth the money, especially if you're a drinker.

I liked Sunset Beach @ $40, but don't know that I will go back @ $60. I took a taxi there, but walked back and felt quite safe, so there are some other considerations.

Think next time I'll try Dr Caves.

http://www.doctorscavebathingclub.com/

While there is food at the beach, if the beach has in/out privileges, I may just walk to Pork Pit which I liked. Also Margaritaville is nearby.

The $60 is in line with what the Sunset Jamaica Grande charges.

Perhaps they have not heard that there is a recession?

I have been to SB twice and wanted to go back again in March, but don't think I will be now.......That is way too much of an increase and when I started reading on this board less that 4 years ago they only charged $20pp so it seems like every two years they bump it up $20. It is a great place but not for $60. We went in March and they were doing all kinds of remodeling, seems like they need for someone to pay for that.

Yes, they raised the price at Sunset Beach Resort...Good. It will keep some of the cruisers away and be less crowded for us. You people that are complaning go ahead pay 60 bucks for a crappy 2 hour snorkling or party boat excursion where you get crappy drinks and probably no food. Or take your round trip 4 hour bumpy bus ride to walk up a waterfall with a hundred other people.

60 Bucks isn't that unreasonable for a beach, a waterpark, 3 pools, a poolside bar,food and drinks that are a 5 minute cab ride from the ship. No beggars no panhandlers and no drug dealers.

So all you peoples that are complaining about what you get there. Stay on the ship and go eat at the buffet. Personally I enjoy what they have to offer and will continue to go there. I enjoy my vacarions and will gladly sit in a chair on the beach and eat and drink and swim fro my 60 bucks

Robert

Your email is not very nice......."you people"?? Keep the cruisers away??

I have been twice before and I while I agree it is a great place, the last time I went a lot of the resort was under construction, a lot of things weren't working. Got to hear saws all day at the beach..... I didn't eat or drink $40 worth much less $60. $180 is a lot of money to go hang at a beach for a couple of hours, because they charge my teenages the adult price. If I got a break for the kids - maybe. I will go elsewhere this time and try something new. Either way the place wasn't crowded the two times I went so I don't know what you are so upset about.

For your information I picked Sunset Beach before so I wouldn't have to pay overpriced fees for a "crappy excursion".

Yes, they raised the price at Sunset Beach Resort...Good. It will keep some of the cruisers away and be less crowded for us. You people that are complaning go ahead pay 60 bucks for a crappy 2 hour snorkling or party boat excursion where you get crappy drinks and probably no food. Or take your round trip 4 hour bumpy bus ride to walk up a waterfall with a hundred other people.

60 Bucks isn't that unreasonable for a beach, a waterpark, 3 pools, a poolside bar,food and drinks that are a 5 minute cab ride from the ship. No beggars no panhandlers and no drug dealers.

So all you peoples that are complaining about what you get there. Stay on the ship and go eat at the buffet. Personally I enjoy what they have to offer and will continue to go there. I enjoy my vacarions and will gladly sit in a chair on the beach and eat and drink and swim fro my 60 bucks

Robert

My post was hardly not nice. just an observation. Sunset Beach Resort was not an excursion and was a bit of a secret before all the cruiser started showing up. It was an all-inclusive destination that people flew to and booked sevral days at a time. Then they started offering a day rate. At first only a few people got off ships and went there. Now they are getting too many and upped the price to discourage groups of church ladies who weren't there to eat and drink. Of course this is an exxageration, my point is people pay 60 bucks for the most ridiculous excursions. Getting an all say pass with a fun little water park. water toys included. three pools, all the food and drinks you want AND a pricate nude beach is still a relaxing day to me. And IF some cruisers think it's NOT worth it. I encourage them to go somewhere else so twice a year it's less crowded..

Your email is not very nice......."you people"?? Keep the cruisers away??

I have been twice before and I while I agree it is a great place, the last time I went a lot of the resort was under construction, a lot of things weren't working. Got to hear saws all day at the beach..... I didn't eat or drink $40 worth much less $60. $180 is a lot of money to go hang at a beach for a couple of hours, because they charge my teenages the adult price. If I got a break for the kids - maybe. I will go elsewhere this time and try something new. Either way the place wasn't crowded the two times I went so I don't know what you are so upset about.

For your information I picked Sunset Beach before so I wouldn't have to pay overpriced fees for a "crappy excursion".

I totally agree with you! We went there to pay less and not go on what I will call "cheesy" excusions. To lump all of us into "you people" is not very nice. $60 for that resort isnt worth it to me either.....we have been there twice as well and BOTH time it was under construction, the "extra's" like kayaks and such were NOT available....and they even had a make shift grill up with 2 choices of food. The buffet was extrememly small, too. There are some Cruise excursion to the all inclusive places for a little more...but we are going to pay more and see if we can find a better place, with a nicer beach.:) This time we are going to try Beaches in Negril.

Hey Sharon :)

You were there last time when the power was out, right?? For most of the time we were there we couldn't get most of the drinks....we still had fun but I think I want to try something new. I have no idea, maybe the catamaran??? Not expensive and it has an open bar and the snorkeling. I think it ends up at a beach by Margaritaville or something. What else have ya'll done here in the past??

KP

I totally agree with you! We went there to pay less and not go on what I will call "cheesy" excusions. To lump all of us into "you people" is not very nice. $60 for that resort isnt worth it to me either.....we have been there twice as well and BOTH time it was under construction, the "extra's" like kayaks and such were NOT available....and they even had a make shift grill up with 2 choices of food. The buffet was extrememly small, too. There are some Cruise excursion to the all inclusive places for a little more...but we are going to pay more and see if we can find a better place, with a nicer beach.:) This time we are going to try Beaches in Negril.

We were planning on doing Sunset Beach also but no with that price increase. What are other options? What is doctors Cave like?

We really want to just spend the day at a great beach. Any other options?

Robin

We were at Doctor's Cave in April - here is my opinion - I would not go back in a zillion years. The beach was gorgeous. The rest sucked. Most uncomfortable chairs (deck chairs that were in serious need of repair) not loungers, which is what I expected. Of course you pay before you know what you are getting. If I am paying to lay on a beach, then I want a decent lounger to lay on!!

DH was sooooooooooo looking forward to the Jerk Calamari. Waited over an hour once he placed his order. Had to go to the restaurant himself to get it (found his waitress on the side smoking you know what). Anyway, finally got his food, so bad he threw it in the trash.

next day in Cayman's he had calamari he said best he ever had - 1/2 the price of what he paid at Doctor's Cave and 2x as much food.

Have decided will stay on the ship next time unless we can get an all day pass somewhere. Was thinking Sunset, but guess won't do that. Oh well, will be a while before we go Western again, next few are all Southern (which is our favorite) or Eastern, so won't have to worry about jamaica at least for the near future.

Archived