what to do in Port Denarau

cruisekids009

Port Denarau is basically that, a Port, but you can get a cab from there into Nadi for a look around - quite safe area.

There is also the Bulla bus`s which run between the resorts on Denarau Island, this will take you on a scenic trip around the Island.

Tiernog

Has anyone been to port denarau? i can't seem to find much info on what to do there.

We recently went on a cruise that stopped at Port Denaru, with the Bulla bus that takes you around you can stop at any of the resorts to have a swim, there us also trips to other islands, we did the trip to Tivua Island with P. & O. and it was wonderful, so others also did the trip to South Island and they said that was great too. There are modern shops there that are only about 6 months old and when the ship came into port they have entertainment in the port all day. Hope this helps.

Has anyone been to port denarau? i can't seem to find much info on what to do there.

We were there in September and we went to the South Sea Island that was a P&O booked tour....which by the way was fantastic...great for snorkling and they had a semi submersible which went around the coral reef, and many water sports and a Fijian Meke performance. There is even a pool on this tiny island. All this was included in the price including a BBQ lunch, beer wine and softdrinks.:):)

In the afternoon we went into Port Denarau and just walked around the shops and watched the performances by the locals.

I believe the resorts were beautiful and the passengers from the ship were allowed go and use all their facilities.

Hope this helps.

Just back from a week on Denarau, and in fact saw the Rhapsody when she stopped in enroute from Hawaii to Sydney.

The resorts on the island all have nice pools and surrounds. Hilton, Sofitel, Westin, Sheraton, Radisson and Wyndham are all there but the pick to visit would probably be the Sofitel, Westin or Radisson, although the Hilton that is currently being rebuilt will likely be very good too. . Hop on the Bula bus (note that it has one L not two) and check them all out. You can also stop off at the Denarau Gold and Raquet Club for a quick round of golf or a tennis game.

A taxi into Nadi will cost about $10. Not really an attractive town but an interesting one. And for the women, it has lots of cheap clothing and shoe stores plus a craft market towards the southern end of the main street. But be warned ... all are operated by Indian Fijians who tend to be very pushy. And don't get sucked in by Indians on the street who chat to you, find out your name and then a few minutes later, try to con you into buying a wooden souvenir that has your name on it!

As other posters have said, Port Denarau is the jumping off point for the off-shore island resorts, so lots of day cruises to the island are on offer ... all pretty much offer snorkelling, coral viewing, lunch, etc some with a bit of local culture (eg a kava ceremony) thrown in. Not sure how long you have in port, but one of the half-day tours might work as a private tour, as an alternative to the more expensive P&O option.

Cheers

Bob

We were also there in September (funnily enough, on the same day as Subaru94 & Marg&Grah!!), we did a P&O Shore Tour helicopeter flight in the morning, and then just explored the complex, enjoiyed the entertainment put on in the centre of the complex and had a nice lunch at one of the restaurants.

It's basically a big Marina/Shopping Complex, lots of nice restaurants and shops to look at.

It's basically a big Marina/Shopping Complex, lots of nice restaurants and shops to look at.

And having eaten at several, I can attest to the diversity of eateries that are there ... everthing from top notch restaurants to a Hard Rock Cafe, plus a pizzeria (where we had one of the best pizzas I've had in a long time) and for those who have missed out on a good expresso on the ship, also a nice coffee shop as well!

Heres an entry from our blog from June, there are some good pics of the resorts there. I didnt go ashore, I have been there before a couple of times, so it is Geri's account of what she did.

http://www.getjealous.com/getjealous.php?action=showdiaryentry&diary_id=497549&go=ducknchook

Chez

xx

And having eaten at several, I can attest to the diversity of eateries that are there ... everthing from top notch restaurants to a Hard Rock Cafe, plus a pizzeria (where we had one of the best pizzas I've had in a long time) and for those who have missed out on a good expresso on the ship, also a nice coffee shop as well!

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten the coffee shop! They did a roaring trade with people wanting coffee made with real milk!

Archived