San Pedro

Arwenmark

I will be arriving by car for a Norwegian Star Cruise Dec 20 and I will have my scooter and folding wheelchair and a fair amount of luggage.

I need to know if there is a drop off for people and luggage before you have to park, particularly if you are HC.

I have read on here that there is a shuttle that will take you and luggage from parking lot, but that does not help me being on scooter and with wheelchair etc. If my husband could drop me and the scooter, WC and luggage then park and come back to meet me It seems it would be much easier for us, but then where exactly do you check in the luggage?

I love the way Boston handles it, you drive up unload your bags which the port guys take right there and put into bins then you park and then you check in without having to lug all your stuff with you through lines etc. till you finally get to the baggage check in area.

So what is your advice for my particular situation at this port?

Thanks

Hi Arwenmark,

You should have no problems with boarding or debarkation at the World Cruise Center in San Pedro. As you drive into the area there are two terminal buildings, that have similar facilities, and you will see you cruise ship as you enter the dock area. You will drive right up to the front of your terminal, and park at the curb while you exit the vehicle, and there will be baggage handlers available to take you bags at that point. Your husband can then drive a short distance to the parking facility (just outside the dock area), and then catch a shuttle bus to return. usually this should take no more than ten o fifteen minutes.

There are elevators available inside the buildings to take care of level changes. The ramp to the ship is fairly short, but may have a gradual rise to contend with. I have seen a number of wheel chair users boarding, and there don't appear to be any difficulties. You might have your TA notify NCL that you will be using a wheel chair, but that seems to be a routine situation that is well handled. Hope you have a great cruise!

petert

This is how we always handle this: my hubby parks at the loading curb right outside the terminal building. He takes out all of our luggage and the girl and I wait with those things while he drives down to the parking lot. He then walks (it's pretty close if you get a close parking space) or takes the shuttle back up. Then we check in our luggage.

I think the port staff prefers this way to the "take everything out, then check it in, and then park the car." This second way, you're keeping someone else from utilizing the loading space.

Ok thanks everyone that is good to know. It sounds alot like Boston then. As long and I can unload the scooter, WC, luggage and myself at the building then I can wait for him to park and come back no problem.

Being a Christmas cruise I imagine it will be packed, I am still debating whether to arrive by 11:30 to 12 or wait and arrive by 1:00 or so, don't want the parking lot to be full when we get there.

Also I like to eat lunch in the dining room after boarding and usually they only serve till about 2 at the latest I believe, anyone know for sure?

Thanks again.

Shuttle? I don't think I've ever had to park more than 200 yards from the front door of the terminal! Seriously...I have parked as close as immediately across the street...

I would get there at 11:30-12...(I was going to say I've never cruised out of there with NCL, but then remembered I did--many years ago on the old "Southward)...I am assuming that, being HC, they will make it as easy for you as they can...

But, get there early for lunch...(I don't know what NCL does, but a lot of lines don't open the main dining room, just the buffet, that first day--due to clean-up schedule and such)...

I don't know that time affects parking all that much...The parking lot is ample...and, remember, you are embarking on a Saturday...but there are other ships cruising out of there on a 14 nighter on the 14th (Golden Princess), the previous Sunday (RCCL Vision of the Seas) and the Sapphire Princess sails the same day...and those ships will all have cars parked there as well...

It actually may be LESS crowded than usual because RCCL, which, for years, has run the Monarch of the Seas with 2600 passengers out of there on Mondays and Fridays will have vacated that route (Carnival moved its ships over to Long Beach a few years back now) and HAL doesn't have a ship in the area during December...And RCCL is still sailing the route with the Vision of the Seas--the much larger Mariner of the Seas doesn't take over the route until March...

So, I guess what I'm telling you is that parking should not be bad at all...

Just make sure to move your car out quickly when you return on December 27 to make room for ME!!! ;)

There seems to be little confusion here. There are two parking lots in San Pedro. One does have a shuttle. The other does not. Either way, you can enter the parking lot near the ships, drop someone off, and leave - all for free. Or, you can enter the parking lot near the ships, drop someone off, and then park (at $12 per day).

SanPedroaerial.jpg

SanPedro.jpg

Overview.jpg

On the right side of the ships in the photos above, under the bridge, is a parking lot. If you park there, a shuttle will take you to the ship. To the left of the ships in the photos is another parking lot. There is no shuttle for the parking lot to the left of the ship. However, the outside lane is a continuous loop. It costs nothing to enter that area and drop people off. You can then exit or park.

Dec is a Saturday. I was there on November 8 (also a Saturday). The Star was at pier 92 (the Monarch is at pier 93 in the above photo).

Here is a photo of the Star docked at pier 92 ...

D562.jpg

Here is another photo of the Star docked at pier 92. Well, actually the photo is being taking from the Star after spinning in the turning basin. But you can still see the shadow the Star left while it was docked at pier 92 (the blue thing that looks like a ship) ...

IMG_1528.jpg

And here is a photo of the Star trying to ram me because the captain did not like me taking pictures of him ...

DSCN2717s.jpg

There seems to be little confusion here. There are two parking lots in San Pedro. One does have a shuttle. The other does not. Either way, you can enter the parking lot near the ships, drop someone off, and leave - all for free. Or, you can enter the parking lot near the ships, drop someone off, and then park (at $12 per day).

On the right side of the ships in the photos above, under the bridge, is a parking lot.

I've never parked across the basin under the bridge...

Why would one park there?

It's always been easy enough to park in the lot right in front of the terminal building...often getting a spot right across the street in the front of the lot litterally steps from the front door...

Is that other lot cheaper?

I've never parked across the basin under the bridge...

Why would one park there?

It's always been easy enough to park in the lot right in front of the terminal building...often getting a spot right across the street in the front of the lot litterally steps from the front door...

Is that other lot cheaper?

The two lots are the same price and I'm not recommending one parking lot over the other. However, both are available and so I do mention both. For cruises I have always parked in the lot next to the ships. For ship tours I used to park in the lot under the bridge. However, now I park in the Ports of Call lot and take the trolley back and forth.

Archived