Rhapsody of the seas Royal Flying Doctors Charity Cruise who didn't get tickets?

gizzigoo

As Geoff metioned there are still a number of cabins to be auctioned off and boy is it interesting to watch.

The current auction for a family cabin which I think sleeps 8 went from $10.30 and has zoomed up to $510 in one day.

I do believe there are a few more to be auctioned and if you have missed out it might be worth a try at an Auction. Last lot they Auctioned went for well over $1,000 in the beginning, but seemed to drop with each successive auction after that.

Royal Caribbean have donated the ship for the one night to the Royal flying doctors and this would have to be one of the greatest charity events every held in the cruising world.

So far I think there are 34 of us CCers booked, and boy am I excited about it, but I'm sure we could make it a table of 50 for dinner!!

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Collectibles/Hobbies/Other-Hobbies/AdNumber=TP000941761

There is also a roll call for those who might be interested.

I am sure there are a few wanting to go on this cruise so is anyone interested in forming a syndicate (for want of a better word)

I have good friends who are interested in this and if you can get a few couples together you could bid higher.I could put you in touch.

As you probably will not be in the cabin much it should be ok.

I cannot bid as I am already on this cruise.

Yes, Sandra I totally agree. As a fan of online auctions I usually only bid in the last 10 seconds.

But it does make for an interesting auction when you watch people bid like crazy then to be out bid by one at the end.

There is another way to discourage other bidders.

Bid early for the maximum price you will pay, then watch others get peeved as they bid and bid and you are still the highest bidder. Trading post bid history makes it look like you are still putting in physical bids above the recent bidder while it is below your max price.

Let's face it, the current (and next few) are for family suites that will accomodate up to 8, and $1000 will not stand up to the end of the auction next Monday.

Whether bidding early or late, I will only bid once on an online auction. The trouble with sniping is that there are others doing exactly the same. I (and many others) have software that can place a bid in the final seconds without being at the computer.

For the list of upcoming Family and Owner suite auctions - www.flyingdoctors.org.au/Luxury-suite-auction.html

Good luck everyone - this weeks family suite is now up to $610.

16 of the 34 currently on the roll call have linked bookings for dinner. I am with Glenda, I am looking forward to catching up with some familiar faces and meeting several more CCers for the first time.

Final payment on the regular booked cabins is this Saturday.

$1700 this morning. Looks like they might make more money from the suites than they did from all the other cabins as I am sure they will all sell.

Have got my friend to watch for the other ones but I am sure they will not bid on this.

Is anyone from here still bidding.

WOW, I'm tipping that this one will reach $2,000 with 3 days to go!

Last time the first suite they auctioned went really high but the subsequent ones went for much less.

This time the word is out that the tickets are like gold and it will really be the charity event of the year. The original tickets sold like hot cakes and as of tomorrow the people wait listed will know if they are on as it is the payment cut off day.

What a wonderful way for RFDS to raise funds and their profile.

There are two bidders who are trying hard to out do each other on this one. After some frantic bidding, it seems to be settling down - waiting for the final sniper tomorrow morning. This one is now @ $1725 - but there are more to follow over the upcoming weeks.

Geoff these tickets really are like gold. Now that the majority of the tickets have been sold there are people who really want to be there, so they will pay anything to be included.

And some of the people who are seeking out tickets I would imagine could possibly afford to pay a little more, after all it is a charity event and people go all out to be seen at these events.

So the price so far on the family suite is not really excessive it you think of it as essentially 8 tickets to a spectacular event.

And the second one has already reached the price of the first - now at $2025 - with the weekend to go.

Looks like my friends are going to miss out now at those prices.

It is certainly making the prices we paid a bargain

I am very pleased that we got our cabin when we did.

But I think what is selling now may very be in a different category than just a cruise and maybe as it's a charity event it may even have a tax benefit.

I look at it as a cruise, but most would be looking at it as a charity function. And most of the charity functions I have been involved in people open up their wallets in a big way. I sat gobsmacked at one event when the charity auction started, I couldn't beleive the prices people were payng for sporting memorabilia.

Archived