Grand Turk Stress and Rescue from ship?

the_dylaness

I am really wanting to do my stress and rescue certification... I'd like to consider doing the classroom part here locally (I love my dive shop) but I don't really want to do the dives locally (cold quarry, no fun). If I was able to complete the course part here, does anyone know if I could do the stress and rescue checkouts while in Grand Turk for one day on HAL's Eurodam?

I am really wanting to do my stress and rescue certification... I'd like to consider doing the classroom part here locally (I love my dive shop) but I don't really want to do the dives locally (cold quarry, no fun). If I was able to complete the course part here, does anyone know if I could do the stress and rescue checkouts while in Grand Turk for one day on HAL's Eurodam?

Rescue certification may very well be the most important class you ever take. It was for me.That being said I believe you would get more out of your class if you had the same instructor for the classroom and checkouts.Learning when to try and help and when to get the heck away can be difficult.The decision you make can be the difference between life and death.The only thing worse than one scuba accident or fatality, is two!!!

That seems like pretty reasonable logic... just looking into all the different ways it could be accomplished as I'm certainly not getting back in that quarry again (and although the vis is terrible the lack of surface chop and the clear orientation to land in all directions seems like it would make it too "easy" for this type of activity).

Any thoughts then on locations in the Caribbean that might offer the course through SSI?

I won't say it is easy in a quarry. Have you tried to search for a missing diver in low viz? Surfacing an "unconscious" diver" in poor viz when it is harder to keep track of your ascent rate? Towed a diver over distance while giving rescue breaths ? What about the added stress due to your discomfort in a quarry environment?

Each environment has its own set of challenges and you can still receive beneficial training with the proper instructor wherever it may be.

I agree that the low vis could add some challenge to the quarry diving, but I'd prefer to take the rescue checkouts in the type of environment where I would actually someday perhaps need those skills. The less than calm surface of the sea seems to me a significant factor that could take place in a rescue situation, and I'd like to have some idea how to handle that.

I agree that the low vis could add some challenge to the quarry diving, but I'd prefer to take the rescue checkouts in the type of environment where I would actually someday perhaps need those skills. The less than calm surface of the sea seems to me a significant factor that could take place in a rescue situation, and I'd like to have some idea how to handle that.

My opinion as well. I did my RD training in cold, low vis lake water and while in Key West had to rescue a tired diver in no vis due to winds coming up and stiring up the sands. I was actually grateful for having to "endure" tough conditions when I took my training because I ended up using the skills I learned in tougher conditions, but only marginally to sucessful save someone (no skimping on training for me). I also took my other training in the same waters with 7mm suit, gloves and hood figuring diving in warmer conditions would be a cinch (which it is). I think there's a saying like, "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger". :D

Randall

Even if they offer it, don't do it.

You want the longest, most comprehensive class you can find, with the worst conditions and most training and time in the water.

The card is pretty much worthless by itself, the training is what really matters.

Terry

We were there on the Triumph a little over a year ago. The wall was really nice diving.

Archived