Why can"t rccl"s food quality be as good as carnival's?

tally10

The beef we had on Vision of the Seas last night for dinner was overcooked and bland. There was no seasoning on it and I had ordered it med rare. Even when they put the Bernaise sauce on it, it had no seasonings in it either. It just took the dryness away.

The food on this cruise was very disappointing to us. It started with the very first lunch buffet. Oh my....you guys have got to see the Disney Magic buffet for boarding compared to this one! Even Carnival's had better buffet.

Dinner menu's were not very appealing and all in our group thought the food overall was rather bland. Carnival has the best pizza, Disney has the best burgers, fries, and hot dogs. We didn't even attempt to eat the self serve hamburgers on hot dogs of VOS. They were all dryed up and did not look right at all.

The best things we did find on this ship were the key lime pie, Prime Rib, Lobster, ceasar salad, mudslide cookies at Seattles' Best, the asian rice they served at breakfast, sandwhiches from the lunch buffet, and warm choc. cake. We just got off this morning and honestly can't tell you what I had for dinner each night. I just remember the lobster because it was good, and the crab ravioli because it had a very bad sauce on it.

I'd still love to cruise RCCL again though, so I'm hoping it's only this ship that was particularly bland.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions...some are quite interesting.

What I find jarring and obnoxious, the next person finds enlivening :)

We've only been on one Carnival ship and we all found it to be cheesey, cheap looking and could not wait to get off. We did think the food was better than we all expected, but food alone is definitely not a reason to go on a cruise. At least not for us. I highly doubt I'd ever be able to talk my husband into a second Carnival cruise.

We were fortunate that for years we were able to enjoy Monarch. The food wasn't always the best, but we cruise to be on the ocean and relax, food is pretty much secondary to us. I find it interesting as well that people always compare pricing and state Carnival costs less. Every time we compared cost, RCCL was hundreds less than Carnival for the little 3/4 night cruises out of LA. We checked for this January and the cost for a comparable cabin on Paradise would be $200 more for a 3 night cruise than what we paid on Monarch.

I cannot wait until RCCL brings a ship back to the LA market, I hope we aren't waiting in vain ;)

Having mostly cruised on Carnival and Princess and really enjoying their food...this is the one thing that kind of concerns me about my upcoming cruise on RCI (first time.) I've heard more than a few times that the food isn't as tasty, overall, on RCI. Naturally, not everyone is going to agree. Food is one of those areas that is so personal. But at the same time, it just seems that in general I've heard that Carnival and Princess put out a better product when it comes to food. I guess I'll find out next April when we cruise on the Mariner! :)

Just returned from a 12 day cruise on the Carnival Freedom to the Eastern Mediterranean. My previous 2 cruises within the last year were on RCCL. We had been so disappointed with the food quality on RCCL (except in Chops), but felt that all of the cruise lines are cutting costs. Well, was I in for a big surprise. The food in the dining room was AMAZING! Never a bad meal, no matter what you ordered. I had mainly beef except on 2 occasions when I had chicken. Hubby had lamb several times and duck. Sister in law had the lobster. The portions were large and plentiful and the waiter brought several extra entrees most nights for all to try. All were delicious and the beef was of good quality (2 nights with filet mignon, 2-3 with prime rib, strip steaks, ribeyes, etc). I was shocked! Unfortuately, Carnival is pulling out of Europe. If they weren't, they'd have all of my business. Why can't RCCL have decent quality food, too?

Hmmm...this just might suit me, too! I have a weakness for pasta! Not much on meats, either. Oh, I do love my shellfish--shrimp being my favorite. I like it even better in a pasta dish! :D

LOL - RCI's pasta heavy menu is very desirable to us. While not vegetarians, we don't enjoy meat so much, and we found that Carnival and Princess do not have appetizing pasta choices on their menu.

This has always been my experience on Carnival. The dining room was the BEST. Their lido buffets okaaaay. Pizza tasty, though! My favorite buffets are on Princess. Can't beat their 24 hour Horizon Court. A large plateful of shrimp at 1 AM is to die for! They often will serve some of what was on the dining room menu earlier in the evening. That's fine with me! That way I can get a taste of what I didn't order at dinner. They also have themed buffets (Mexican, seafood, etc.) And, again, LATE at night and into the wee hours of the morning. I'm a night owl! :D

Did our first Carnival cruise last month- on the Victory. Guess what, the food was better than Celebrity, RCCL & HAL. I hate to admit it, but it was. I still prefer RCCL, but my whole family was giddy each night over dinner. Not as much pomp & circumstance/formality- but the best filet mignon, seafood newburg, lobster, chateau briand, prime rib, veal. Not 1 night was a miss. We never had to defer to the alternative menu. Now, the buffet was another story- was much, much too crowded. But, the dinner in the dining room was fantastic.

I agree that the Carnival ships are bright and fun!! I think RC ships are beautiful, but they all seem to look alike to me. Each Carnival ship is different, and there are certain things I remember about each one of them. I love cruising, though, and the decor of the ship isn't a big deal to me. I just love being on a ship and travelling to places I have never been before!!!:D

I was trying to put my finger on it when I was looking at Liberty & Independence after I had already seen pics of Freedom. There just was not much that was different about the interiors. I would still love to sail one of them, but at least I will get to see my first Royal Promenade in about 110 days.

Aside from the fact that I no longer eat pasta, even when I did, it would not be food I would bother with on any vacation. Pasta is so ordinary not matter what you put on it. And before you get defensive, I am married to an Italian and can make ( and have) made the best sauces around.

I still make an amazing Italian cheesecake!:rolleyes:

Tell that to an Italian!!:mad::D

Archived