San Juan Nightlife

cameron168

You could check out Da House Hotel the first floor is a club The Nuyorican. It is a well known club in Old San Juan from what I have read. We stayed on the second floor of the hotel and could hear the music from the club and the alley where the entrance is. There is also a restaurant across the alley with local food. We were not that crazy about the food I would eat on the ship. www.dahousehotelpr.com is the web site, the hotel address is 312 San Francisco St You can see the sign in the alley from the st. It is hard to explain if you have any questions I'll try to answer. It was raining the night we were there so we did not get to sit outside.

I will also be in SJ next year from 5pm till midnight. I am guessing we won't be able to really see much of San Juan, at least no regular excursions.

Not sure if the nightclub scene is for us, so any suggestions about what to do after dark? We really don't think we'd be comfortable walking around at night, unless the pier area is well-lit and safe. Or do lots of people just get off and walk around?

Any suggestions on what to do? I'd hate to just stay on the ship and miss out on San Juan!

The streets of OSJ are really very safe. Many people just walk around and it is patrolled by many police to make sure it stays safe!

There are many things you can do in OSJ in the evening. Guided tours, dance shows, live music.

Check my Cruiseship visitor page in my PR travel guide:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/#cruise-ship

Also what is available now and what will be available then may be different. Starting now there is a great outdoor photo exhibit, next week there is another exhibition coming, there is a Rum Festival in Jan. But these will be over by the time you get here. I was in town last week and saw a new Salsa show (and class, so you can learn the steps!) with drinks/food included is just starting. I will post info on that when I get it. It is constantly changing. Ask again when your time gets closer.

coquishideaway:

Thanks for your reply! I will definitely check in with you again when we are closer to our sail date. I'll also share this with the others on my Roll Call. Sure helps when someone who lives where we are going is on Cruise Critic! I know that when we sailed to Alaska, having a local contact sure helped!

Thanks again!

Sorry if this is a silly question but are you guys on daylight savings time? I'm just afraid that shortly after we get off the boat, it will start to get dark. We wanted to do a few excursions (at least the segways). Oh, out of curiousity, is there a lesbian hangout in OSJ?

It gets dark there early! We got off the ship last week at 5:15 ship time (4:15 SJ time) and it was already almost completely dark!

We are not on day light savings time (so if you embark in the US, you fall back one 1hr for daylight savings- it seems ship time is 1 hr behind us, so your ship 5:15p is 6:15pm SJ time). It gets dark in January at about 6pm PR time.

Check if your ship port times are ship times or local times. 1 hr difference could leave you stranded on any Carribean island!

Sorry if this is a silly question but are you guys on daylight savings time? I'm just afraid that shortly after we get off the boat, it will start to get dark. We wanted to do a few excursions (at least the segways). Oh, out of curiousity, is there a lesbian hangout in OSJ?

Check with the Segway people if they can do a tour with you at your times. http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-segway-tour/

I don't know of any specific lesbian hangouts, but OSJ is decently gay- friendly I assume..(we get a decent number of gay travelers in PR, so it is not that unusual, especially in some areas).

Anything goes at Senor Frogs!

Coquishideaway - My extended family and I will be visiting OSJ from RC's LOS on Monday, 12/22 - can you tell me what "exhibits" will be there or if there are any special events going on? I'm putting together a travel guide for my bothers & sisters, neices & nephews and would love to include this kind of info!

Thanks so much for your other posts - I have referenced your links from other posts!

Lisa.

Coquishideaway - My extended family and I will be visiting OSJ from RC's LOS on Monday, 12/22 - can you tell me what "exhibits" will be there or if there are any special events going on? I'm putting together a travel guide for my bothers & sisters, neices & nephews and would love to include this kind of info! Lisa.

Since last week, two new exhibits have opened.

The beautiful photo exhibit that is outside:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/earth-from-above/

There is also (opening tomorrow), the Bodies Exhibition:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/bodies-exhibition/

And there is also new night time show:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/lights-and-shadows/

The Christmas Lights will be up starting the end of Nov until mid Jan:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/osj-christmas-lights/

When other new stuff gets scheduled, I try to keep my travel guide updated, so check it before your trip.

The photo exhibit looks interesting. How far is it from the port?

The photo exhibit "The Earth from Above" is on the Paseo de La Princesa.

If you dock at Pier 4 in OSJ, it is less than 1/4 mile from the dock. As you leave the ship, go left along the water (stop in at Don Q and the Tourism center for free rum drinks along the way....). Then look for the huge "City Wall" (it is a 30 ft high wall- you can't miss it!). Follow the street that runs along the wall- that is Paseo de la Princesa.

The photos are amazingly beautiful- don't miss it. This exhibit has travelled all over the world, it is that great.

The photo exhibit "The Earth from Above" is on the Paseo de La Princesa.

If you dock at Pier 4 in OSJ, it is less than 1/4 mile from the dock. As you leave the ship, go left along the water (stop in at Don Q and the Tourism center for free rum drinks along the way....). Then look for the huge "City Wall" (it is a 30 ft high wall- you can't miss it!). Follow the street that runs along the wall- that is Paseo de la Princesa.

The photos are amazingly beautiful- don't miss it. This exhibit has travelled all over the world, it is that great.

The photographer is so in love with Puerto Rico and the reaction to his work was so phenomenal in Caguas that he took some photos here and added them to his exhibition, so now Puerto Rico is represented as well along with his other pics

• 3 weeks later...
Any recommendations for zipline tours?

Lisa

If you're just in port for a day (or 1/2 day as most ships seem to be lately), you'll want to check out the La Marquesa Zipline Canopy Tour in Guaynabo, about 30 minutes south of the San Juan area. Once you're there, the whole course takes about 2 hours. We've done their ziplines twice, and each time was great!

If you have a whole day to fill, then you'll want to check out Acampa's Toro Negro Rainforest and Zipline Adventure. This one is a whole day (7am-6pm) filled with waterfall-climbing, river-wading, and ziplines. They provide transportation from the San Juan area, and lunch is included.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how much the scooters are at the shop in Pier 4? Any other suggestions for scooter rentals? I've seen a lot of people advise against it because of traffic but I'm wondering if it is safer if we stay around Old San Juan.

Lisa

Does anyone know how much the scooters are at the shop in Pier 4? Any other suggestions for scooter rentals? I've seen a lot of people advise against it because of traffic but I'm wondering if it is safer if we stay around Old San Juan. Lisa

I forget how much there were, I don't think it was crazy expensive.

OSJ has a lot of traffic too.

I can't say I remember the scooters being out at night (during the day, the shop has them set up outside the shop). I can't guarantee the shop is open at night....

I hope to be into OSJ before mid-Jan. If I go, I will check rates and shop hours for you.

We were in Old San Juan for 3 days/2 nights pre cruise. We stayed at the El Convento across from the cathedral.

We walked ALL OVER old San Juan at night.

We went to Nuyorican (but they had jazz band that night and we were looking for salsa) and the Rumba Club. We stayed quite a while at the Rumba Club.....little hole in the wall place. Was where they filmed Dirty Dancing - Havana Nights.... excellent 7 piece salsa band and ended up watching the locals dance more than we did. No cover then - think they have one now. Drinks reasonably priced and STRONG. Was a fun night.

Do not stay on the ship and miss Old San Juan. It is one of my favorite places. Like stepping back in time. Wonderful old buildings, cobble streets, wrought iron balconies with flowers dripping down. People are very friendly and lots of policia at night to make sure you stay safe ! Use your common sense - stay to the main streets ( no alleys) and be aware of surroundings.

Archived