Flights to foreign departure points

m steve

As much as we would like to take some of the European or Asian cruises the flights bother me due to long travel and baggage restictions. I am considering using my United mileage to get 1st or business class seats but they are in short supply and coach turns us off.10+ hours of traveling in cramped space, and bad meals we will need thje cruise just to relax from the flight and then have to face the return flight. United now requires 135,000 to 145,000 for 1st class. And to find seats you must book 330 days in advance when they open up. How do you handle it?

We fly business class. If we can't afford to do it, then we don't go on overseas flights. We loved our Baltic and Mediterranean cruises! They were well worth the long flights. As for packing, we learned a long time ago to travel light. It can be done! Don't think of all the disadvantages....think of the fun you will have and GO!!!

As much as we would like to take some of the European or Asian cruises the flights bother me due to long travel and baggage restictions.
Baggage restrictions???? For international flights (and any domestic connection needed) you are allowed 2 checked bags, up to 50 pounds each. One hundred pounds a person is too limited????

We cannot afford business class, but have found ways to try to make the trip enjoyable. One of the ways is the seating. We have tried to obtain seats where there is the two of you and that way you can get up and stretch and not bother other passengers. I know that is the rear of the plane, but look at it this way you are the amongst the first on, the downside is you are the last too. Oh well. As someone else has said we look at the flight and airport experience as part of the vacation package. Sometimes it can be not much fun but we manage and try to make the best of it the best is yet to come.

Thus far the baggage weight limitations have not impacted our travels.

We did cancel our New Zealand/Australia cruise in Jan 09, as we felt we were just not up to the long flight to and from the Antipodes.

Luckily, we have been "down under" before, so we don't feel too devastated by the cancellation.

As much as we would like to take some of the European or Asian cruises the flights bother me due to long travel and baggage restictions. I am considering using my United mileage to get 1st or business class seats but they are in short supply and coach turns us off.10+ hours of traveling in cramped space, and bad meals we will need thje cruise just to relax from the flight and then have to face the return flight. United now requires 135,000 to 145,000 for 1st class. And to find seats you must book 330 days in advance when they open up. How do you handle it?

First I only do repositionings to Europe or back, so only have to deal with one way. (yes I know one way can be more expensive than rt's)I go a week early or stay a week after the cruise to do land tours. Since repositioning cruises are fairly cheap, the costs turn out about the same. I also have credit cards for 3 major airlines and accrue points using them. I book my upgrades the first day they become available, and have always got them. First class allows more free baggage, so dont have the packing problems, although I still try to take more than I will ever use.

We can only dream of First Class or Business Class!! My husband hates to fly and I love it. We have only flown once to Europe and we are going again in May but we will make the most of it. Maybe I can slip my husband a mickey. NO NOT MICKEY MOUSE

Kathy

Some have said that taking Zanax (sp?) prior to a flight will calm the nervous flyer.

Rich

I now fly Business Class because I'm fortunate to be able to. However, for years, I booked "poor man's Biz class" seats, i.e., booked two seats for myself and if I was flying with my daughter, bought three seats. This is done more often than you think and for long flights, it gives you extra elbow and leg room, a tray in the middle to put your stuff on and more carry-on space.

Like another poster, I'm booking Business Class these days with Mileage Plus miles. It appears the Star Alliance partners like Lufthansa & SAS have a pretty nice biz class product; SAS does not even offer first class. When I'm on my own dime I'm in coach. It's a real treat to fly trans-oceanic in the comfy seats when I can use frequent flyer miles.

One other thing you might check on; United sent out an email indicating that they are changing the upgrade-with-miles rules from coach to business on Trans-Atlantic fights. This may open up another option for securing a business class seat.

I know what you mean about calling 330 days ahead of time, at least for European destinations. Best of luck.

DW and I have decided we are old enough to travel Business Class now. I check the boards frequently and subscribe to a monthly newsletter that suggests ways to upgrade and get good deals in Business and First class. The Asian airlines provide a really good economy class compared to the heritage carriers. Also, travel consolidators sometimes have seats available. It takes some time and work, but the relaxing results are worth it. Good luck.

Wow I wish I could find a way to sit in Business class but I don't have any credit cards that give me miles.

Rich, I wish he would take something but if he does it has to be something he isn't aware of. Poor guy I do feel sorry for him but not enough not to go. Maybe if we hit the lottery I can get better seats.

Kathy

Archived